Author Topic: Options for cheap CCTV  (Read 1902 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Options for cheap CCTV
« on: 13 September, 2021, 10:49:18 pm »
So looking for a cheap cctv system to go in to a house.

Power from a light fitting and wireless recording to router.

Re: Options for cheap CCTV
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2021, 07:29:53 am »
Ring™:
Indoor Cam is a smaller next-generation security camera specifically designed to be used indoors to bolster the security around your home. The Ring Indoor Cam features 1080p full HD resolution, two-way audio, HD video recording, and a wide viewing angle.

Can be bought here.

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2021, 08:02:54 am »
I have no recommendations.      Would something like this fit your needs?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Bulb-Security-Camera/s?k=Light+Bulb+Security+Camera

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2021, 01:10:42 pm »
Ring™:
Indoor Cam is a smaller next-generation security camera specifically designed to be used indoors to bolster the security around your home. The Ring Indoor Cam features 1080p full HD resolution, two-way audio, HD video recording, and a wide viewing angle.

Can be bought here.

Now that is a good idea, now fining them in France.

I have no recommendations.      Would something like this fit your needs?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Bulb-Security-Camera/s?k=Light+Bulb+Security+Camera

Not thought about those type as the camera could be turned off just by switching the light switch off.

« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2021, 01:18:19 pm »
Not thought about those type as the camera could be turned off just by switching the light switch off.

I'm not familiar with any of the products there, but they looked cheap and the Q&A for the few I looked at asked about that and were answered with that the camera still works when the light is off.  I assume an onboard rechargeable battery?

ian

« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2021, 01:28:47 pm »
Jeez, don't be the guy who films people without their permission.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2021, 01:42:17 pm »
Sliver?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2021, 01:47:54 pm »

I'm not familiar with any of the products there, but they looked cheap and the Q&A for the few I looked at asked about that and were answered with that the camera still works when the light is off.  I assume an onboard rechargeable battery?
In the Q&A (for the lightbult camera) it mentioned that it doesn't work if your wifi system is 5G.

« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2021, 02:06:30 pm »

[In the Q&A (for the lightbult camera) it mentioned that it doesn't work if your wifi system is 5G.
That's the case for most of the cheaper Chinese iot type stuff.
I've got a couple of very cheap cctv cameras (that meet the OP's spec) but can't recommend them - buy cheap, buy twice.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2021, 02:10:29 pm »
I don’t believe he’s planning to film himself.

No good can come of this.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2021, 02:32:28 pm »
You can film to your heart's content in your own home.

Not sure that's quite 100% right.
Will depend on jurisdiction, of course.

But thinking about the Creepy Landlord scenario, I don't think you can covertly record whatever you like in a house you share with others, even if you own it.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2021, 03:00:33 pm »
I'll let him comment, but he said 'a house' and not 'his house.'

But even in your own house, I think filming people without their knowledge is a bit off. Hey kids, I'm just filming you in the bathroom. Wife, I'm watching you. Yeah, that's not creepy at all.

« Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2021, 05:44:51 pm »
It's almost certainly illegal

« Reply #13 on: 14 September, 2021, 09:41:52 pm »
However folks, the point of the thread is for cheap cctv, not what it might be used for or the legalities thereof. 

Just saying.   O:-)

« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2021, 09:56:14 pm »
For Ring cameras, check whether you need to pay a subscription. Seems it is £2.50 per month if you want to save any videos. So maybe not as cheap as you want.

Reolink have some pretty good cameras, fairly cheap. Can put a Micro SD card in the camera to record. Or record to an NVR / NAS or FTP server.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2021, 05:30:01 pm »

From recent information, I don't need permission just inform people it is for their safety

However folks, the point of the thread is for cheap cctv, not what it might be used for or the legalities thereof. 

Just saying.   O:-)

Thanks.

I'll let him comment, but he said 'a house' and not 'his house.'

But even in your own house, I think filming people without their knowledge is a bit off. Hey kids, I'm just filming you in the bathroom. Wife, I'm watching you. Yeah, that's not creepy at all.

Oh this is not covert. The cameras will only be in the common parts such as corridors, lounge and kitchen.  There will be signs informing people.

« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2021, 06:03:26 pm »
Oh this is not covert. The cameras will only be in the common parts such as corridors, lounge and kitchen.  There will be signs informing people.
You don't want to be informing burglars of your cameras. I thought the thread was about security.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 16 September, 2021, 07:08:05 pm »
If you're filming other people in common and shared spaces, even if you own the property, you do need to comply with GDPR. There's more to that than simply putting up notices (which you must also do).

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #18 on: 16 September, 2021, 09:56:38 pm »
If you're filming other people in common and shared spaces, even if you own the property, you do need to comply with GDPR. There's more to that than simply putting up notices (which you must also do).

There is an on going issue about that with my brother and parents house in the UK.  His not informing us that cameras were running.

Oh this is getting 'fun' now.  The house is in France and to do with claims the tenant is making.  Also for my safety after he lost it and smashed TV and punched me, the Police did ask for CCTV.  He claims to have cameras and recorded me without permission, which is illegal and punishable by a year in prison and or €45,000 fine.

So how do we work this out.

« Reply #19 on: 16 September, 2021, 10:14:55 pm »

There is an on going issue about that with my brother and parents house in the UK.  His not informing us that cameras were running.

Oh this is getting 'fun' now.  The house is in France and to do with claims the tenant is making.  Also for my safety after he lost it and smashed TV and punched me, the Police did ask for CCTV.  He claims to have cameras and recorded me without permission, which is illegal and punishable by a year in prison and or €45,000 fine.

So how do we work this out.

Kick the tenant out?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #20 on: 16 September, 2021, 11:16:43 pm »

Kick the tenant out?

Let us not go there as it will end up in a an angry rant by me.