Author Topic: Heavy duty garage shelving  (Read 1424 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Heavy duty garage shelving
« on: 15 September, 2021, 10:09:11 pm »
Free standing, that is.
Currently have 2x Ikea Ivar wooden racks which have done fine storing quite a few cases of wine on them for the last few years. But recently they've been subjected to all the booze from all the other storagea reas, and a move, and then all those bottles getting dumped on them again. One of them looks like it might collapse at any time.

My plan was to get some metal frame shelves from Big Dug but they all have MDF or HDF/melamine shelves and I'm not sure... the ones I'm looking at claim 200kg per shelf.
I've had a quick look online at other retailers but they all seem to offer the same stuff.
Any better ideas?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Heavy duty garage shelving
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:29:14 pm »
EBay for old Dexion steel racking? Cheaper and stronger than most modern stuff, bolts together and the shelves are folded sheet steel. They can free stand, but are better against a wall IME, as you can put a fixing high up to prevent any danger of tipping.

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:32:32 pm »
The Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy do something like unto heavy-duty Ivar, wot I have in The Sheds.  A shufti at their webby SCIENCE shows a product yclept “Hejne” which I think is the stuff.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2021, 06:52:56 am »
Does it have to be free-standing?  Heavy duty normally =/= free-standing.

I made this with wood.  Didn't take long or cost much and was fun.  But it needed a wall. 

https://ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/best-diy-garage-shelves-attached-walls

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2021, 08:06:34 am »
Dont do "free-standing". Either against a wall, and fixed to it at high level, a double row back-to-back and bolted to the floor, or a rack either side of a corridor with cross-braces at each upright.

And what others said, Dexion or the like.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2021, 08:46:50 am »
If you CBA picking through eBay and want an instant solution I've used https://www.rapidracking.com/en/rra before and can recommend.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2021, 09:14:36 am »
I've used both Rapid Racking and Big Dug before for work, for shelves for engineering spares or chemical storage.
6 x 75cl is between 7 & 8kg depending on the bottle so that's quite a few cases of wine you'd get on your 200kg shelves.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2021, 10:35:17 am »
By free standing I mean not the sort of shelves that involve twin tracks and brackets.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2021, 02:06:44 pm »
I've used both Rapid Racking and Big Dug before for work, for shelves for engineering spares or chemical storage.
6 x 75cl is between 7 & 8kg depending on the bottle so that's quite a few cases of wine you'd get on your 200kg shelves.

Don't be taken in by the pix in the ads for Rapid Racking and Big Dug - the people are only about 4'6" tall to make the racking look full size - and from the stuff I've seen it's pretty poor/flimsy.

As I think has been suggested I'd look at the modular IKEA timber shelving - we have quite a bit in the workshop and shed - it just works, and If you have an awkward width space it's easy to cut the shelve down and re-engineer them.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 18 September, 2021, 11:27:25 pm »
My local homebase has some good heavy duty metal
options going cheap. Thinking about getting some for the shed...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2021, 10:52:33 am »
My local homebase has some good heavy duty metal
options going cheap. Thinking about getting some for the shed...

625kg per shelf!

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2021, 10:06:00 pm »
Did you get sorted? If you’re still looking I’d recommend Big Dug. Cost me a fair bit to rack out my garage but their heavy duty stuff is impressively solid.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2021, 10:28:58 pm »
You clearly didn't see the photies on Faceache :).
Yes we did get sorted. We bought their cheapo deal of 3 bays for not very much, they seemed a bit flimsy until fully built and one of the packs they sent seemed like someone may have already used.
We also bought their heavy duty workbench which I was a lot happier with, though I have no expectation that the chipboard shelves will last very long as the corners are already a bit battered looking, but maybe I'll replace them with marine ply if the price of wood ever comes down.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2021, 11:37:03 pm »
You clearly didn't see the photies on Faceache :).
Yes we did get sorted. We bought their cheapo deal of 3 bays for not very much, they seemed a bit flimsy until fully built and one of the packs they sent seemed like someone may have already used.
We also bought their heavy duty workbench which I was a lot happier with, though I have no expectation that the chipboard shelves will last very long as the corners are already a bit battered looking, but maybe I'll replace them with marine ply if the price of wood ever comes down.

I have similar shelving ( dunno who from, it was bought when we moved here mumblety years ago ), and the shelves are all chipboard too.
They are installed in a store cupboard which is more 'outside' than 'inside', and in the garage.
But they are not subject to actual soaking.
I fully expected the chipboard shelves to have exploded into dust by now, but they have not.
They are as sturdy as ever.

So I'd say just play it by ear. I'd not bother re-working the shelves to ply unless it actually becomes necessary.