Author Topic: N +1  (Read 1080 times)

N +1
« on: 23 September, 2021, 09:49:09 pm »
Seems to me that rather like bikes, you need a range of tents to meet differing needs. Having lugged my very nice Zenon 2+ and footprint over the lumpy bits of East Anglia for a week (yes Suffolk is lumpy) I need to consider a smaller lighter tent offering for bike touring. Cash as always is a limiting factor. Looking at the sale at Alpkit atm. Mmm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Sylph
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: N +1
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2021, 11:02:54 pm »
You saw my Jaran 2 in action. That's the first proper outing it's had and I think it did OK. I've said in the past that I have an objection to meshy inner-first tents but I didn't get wet even on that awful day in Norwich. I didn't put any of my stuff in the tent until the rain stopped because I was concerned that rain would find its way in, but it didn't.
Bach without a doubt.

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2021, 01:58:39 am »

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2021, 08:00:34 pm »
On my return from Spain I'll be selling my al shan tent, uses a hiking pole to hold it up, weighs 700 grams, I've used it once in four weeks, can supply a proper lightweight tent pole to go with it. Can't get lighter than this. Ideal for lightweight cycle camping. DM if interested, i shan't need it in future
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2021, 08:53:52 pm »
I was very fortunate to adopt at a very very reasonable price the classic Hilleberg Akto with less than 10 days use.  The former owner is a tall man and he was just too long for it.

I'm ruminating on a little solo backpacking from time to time which of course opens up the opportunity to buy kit such as a Jetboil and a coffin-shaped sleeping mat.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2021, 09:27:10 pm »
What is the weight of your current tent? So we have an idea of what you are trying to get down from.

« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2021, 07:06:54 pm »
With the footprint and bag getting on for 3 kilos. Two ish kilos would be more comfortable I think, as would a smaller pack size (and I should take less stuff). The Alpkit Jaran seems to fit the bill as I do not winter camp, and still has some room to move in ( is on sale atm.) I suffer from debilitating cramp from time to time, exacerbated in very restricted spaces, so much so, as to consider if I should be doing this any longer, although I always enjoy the overall camping experience with friends and would be loathe to give it up just yet.  :-D

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2021, 11:02:30 pm »
You saw my Jaran 2 in action. That's the first proper outing it's had and I think it did OK. I've said in the past that I have an objection to meshy inner-first tents but I didn't get wet even on that awful day in Norwich. I didn't put any of my stuff in the tent until the rain stopped because I was concerned that rain would find its way in, but it didn't.

That looks quite good, in a meshy sort of way.  Certainly a decent weight.

Wowbagger

• Sylph
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2021, 11:07:38 pm »

I was pleased with it, but it has a puzzling design idiosyncrasy.

The footprint is a hexagon -  a regular one I think. But the inner and flysheet are colour coded so that they will only fit together one way. I got it wrong in Norwich - couldn't tell the blue end from the black end - and couldn't work out why the flysheet wouldn't lie properly. I've no idea why they decided to make the tent fit just one way. I haven't noticed inside which end is wider. But there must be some difference.
Bach without a doubt.

« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2021, 12:06:40 am »
Alpkit Soloist is also in the sale right now. Its a decent price for a pretty light tent. Not exactly spacious, but tall enough to sit up in, makes it a lot more comfortable. Also an XL version, a bit longer.

Or the Aeronaut inflatable one looks interesting, if your carrying a pump. Though seems to be some mixed reviews.

« Reply #10 on: 02 October, 2021, 01:36:26 am »
Seems to me that rather like bikes, you need a range of tents to meet differing needs.
I have a now obsolete TN tent of a similar shape and weight to the Alpkit Jaran, it is my N, it's the only tent I've had for sixteen years (Though a pole needed replacing and it's on a second flysheet) It suits me, plenty of room for one, two at a push.  When I'm just doing an overnight I sometimes whish I had something lighter, then look at the weight savings compared to the cost and decide not, likewise when I occasionally go car camping I think it'd be nice to have something a bit bigger, then look at the cost... It is a compromise at the extremes of my usage (Which isn't very extreme) but not enough of one to warrant another expensive tent and a cheap additional one wouldn't offer much advantage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2021, 10:52:48 am »

I was pleased with it, but it has a puzzling design idiosyncrasy.

The footprint is a hexagon -  a regular one I think. But the inner and flysheet are colour coded so that they will only fit together one way. I got it wrong in Norwich - couldn't tell the blue end from the black end - and couldn't work out why the flysheet wouldn't lie properly. I've no idea why they decided to make the tent fit just one way. I haven't noticed inside which end is wider. But there must be some difference.
It looks a decent liveable space, good for fixed point camping. But the mesh inner, combined with inner-first pitching, make its claim to be 3-season rather dubious IMO. And the weight might be fine for cycling but I wouldn't like to carry it in a rucksack. But with all tents you really only learn whether it suits you by using it. A bit like houses.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2021, 12:35:32 pm »
Take a look at the MSR Elixir 2.   It looks like a reduced cost version of my Hubba Hubba.  Still pricier than the Jaran mind. 

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #13 on: 04 October, 2021, 05:20:31 pm »
Will do.

« Reply #14 on: 04 October, 2021, 05:43:16 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255160285821      There's a used current spec Hubba Hubba on Ebay at the moment.  Lighter than my HP version & in a brighter colour scheme......
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark