Author Topic: Weirdo's on Bikes  (Read 3782 times)

Weirdo's on Bikes
« on: 09 October, 2021, 08:51:36 am »
Did anyone else notice the piece in Cycle on the young Aspergers lad Joe, adventurer and online camping shopkeeper?
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/
There are some interesting bits and bobs there
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Weirdo's on Bikes
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2021, 02:15:27 pm »
My order has arrived only four days after making it. Something of a miracle as it passed through Hermes hands.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2021, 02:23:15 pm »
Yes I did notice it, but hadn't got around to looking at his site. Turns out it's mostly a blog with a shop on the side!

I'm not sure if I like his idea of 99p shipping. I like that he's upfront with the costs but if, from what I read in the magazine, he's trying to come at this from a sort of sustainable angle, it would make more sense to charge a realistic shipping rate rather than subsidising it into the items (or into bank of mum?).

My order has arrived only four days after making it. Something of a miracle as it passed through Hermes hands.
That's nothing. I ordered something on the 6th (not from him) and later that day received a mail from DPD saying my parcel had been despatched on the 5th!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2021, 02:29:54 pm »
I like the idea of the emergency derailleur hanger.
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/emergency-mech-hanger/

« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2021, 02:34:10 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2021, 04:43:16 pm »

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2021, 05:25:09 pm »
Goose down bed socks ! https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/down-boots/

I have some goose down booties. My mothers partner bought them years back. Didn’t like them and offered to me.  As you’ve surmised great for cold camping or inside hostels or mountain huts etc in the evening.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2022, 10:32:30 am »
Disappointing experience with them. I ordered some "ultralight tentpegs". https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ultralight-tarp-tent-peg/
At £1 each they look like a bargain. The order went through and I received the normal "thanks for your order" type emails. That was on the 28th. Then the following day, an email saying they'd miscounted their stock and didn't actually have the pegs to send me. I'm not sure if they didn't have any or simply didn't have the six I'd ordered, but it now says out of stock, so presumably none at all. That was the first disappointment.

The email also said they'd refund me – they use PayPal as a payment processor – and notify me when they had the pegs in stock. I've just checked my PayPal account and there's no refund. So that's the second disappointment.

On the positive side – though it's only really a reflection of the dubious practices of many online retailers that makes it seem positive – they did at least admit they were out of stock by their own mistake and not make up some excuse that they would be a bit late.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2022, 12:55:06 pm »
I emailed them and they have made the refund this morning. Still disappointed not to get the pegs though!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2022, 06:26:35 pm »
Just two days after that previous post, I received another email to say the pegs were now in stock again. So I ordered some and they arrived today. They seem pretty good pegs, light but (as far as I can tell without having yet used them) seem strong. Definitely worth £1 each! And there was a handwritten note.

Unfortunately, Joe put the wrong stamp on the parcel and it arrived with an "underpaid item" sticker "£1.50 to pay". But the postie just put it though the door anyway, so I'm not complaining about that.

« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2022, 07:27:41 pm »
So your camping in the garden tonight to test them out 🙂
the slower you go the more you see