Author Topic: Home energy saving tips /ideas...  (Read 11301 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Home energy saving tips /ideas...
« Reply #275 on: 20 November, 2021, 05:25:02 pm »
*Buy* replacement drawers?  Just go for a walk around the streets of Selly Oak until you find the right model...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #276 on: 21 November, 2021, 11:00:02 am »
Brr, it was 13.4°C in the bedroom at kitty breakfast o'clock, and when I pointed the thermometer at the ceiling nearest the window it read 9°C.
Maybe I will be getting those flat roofs replaced after all (if HES are still doing 40% cashback).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #277 on: 24 November, 2021, 06:46:21 pm »
Currently 18C inside - OK with fleece on.

Relatively new thing, is shutting the kitchen door when the hob extractor fan is on, to cut down on warm house air loss...
"Perhaps we cannot raise the winds. But each of us can put up the sail, so that when the wind comes we can catch it." EF.S

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #278 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:22:13 pm »
Further evidence that the Guardian is actually cobbled together from YACF threads: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/14/cold-as-ice-how-to-stay-warm-without-whacking-up-the-heating
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #279 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:17:05 pm »
Finally got around to contacting HES last week and tonight to contacting 3 of the big insulation installers, so no doubt I will be getting spammed with phone calls tomorrow.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #280 on: 30 November, 2021, 04:38:11 pm »
Finally got around to contacting HES last week and tonight to contacting 3 of the big insulation installers, so no doubt I will be getting spammed with phone calls tomorrow.
Years ago, a friend of mine was after double glazing. He did lots of research and plumped on $DOUBLEGLAZING_CO.

By coincidence, shortly afterwards he got cold called by $DOUBLEGLAZING_CO.  He broke their script by trying to explain, yes, he actually did want to buy their product.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #281 on: 30 November, 2021, 04:57:44 pm »
We have a lovely llama wool blanket which lurks on the sofa.  It's deceptively thin.  I love to wrap myself in it when there is a slight chill.  So snuggly, soft and warm.

mllePB seems to prefer putting about thirty layers of clothing on instead.  Weird.  😇

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #282 on: 30 November, 2021, 06:22:09 pm »
While the man who was installing our bathroom and kitchen extraction was out today I clambered up on the worktop to inspect the GBFO holes in the wall and ascertained that our cavity is 70mm deep.
And so far only 1 of the 3 companies I contacted has been in touch, to tell me they're not doing CWI right now. Weird.