Author Topic: DIY Eurocylinder key/key to key/thumb turn replacement  (Read 2085 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: DIY Eurocylinder key/key to key/thumb turn replacement
« Reply #25 on: 17 October, 2021, 10:51:27 pm »
See QG's comment about windaes near the lock.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2021, 12:40:27 am »
A key left inside on a hook inside is no less secure than using a thumb turn.
Note that most short lock barrels can't have a key from both sides inserted and work as the key noses clash.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 18 October, 2021, 06:44:24 am »
A key left inside on a hook inside is no less secure than using a thumb turn.
It's more secure if it's the other side of an internal door.

The inability to have 2 keys in was another attraction of the thumb turn though.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #28 on: 18 October, 2021, 09:13:45 am »
I think you're starting to argue with yourself! 

The Screwfix basic thumb locks can be had for £10 or £12 - hardly the end of the world if you don't like it (and with careful fitting you could return it for a refund?)

Since we changed our locks, front and back, the convenience has been immeasurable.

« Reply #29 on: 18 October, 2021, 01:25:06 pm »
That lock sticking out of the handle cover is a no no, it needs to be flush or fitted with a deeper handle. Assa do heavy duty lock protectors that are like a cone cut down. Very hard to grip and bump the lock. Its easy to overcome most Euro locks, when we could not access empty council houses to rewire them our joiner just ripped out the Euro lock ( keys lost or not given to us). Fitted a new one , 5 mins to remove and fit a new one.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 18 October, 2021, 01:33:00 pm »
Do burglars ever break through doors (other than by fishing for keys on the other side)? We had all our locks replaced when we moved here, though the irony of fitting a bolt to large glass patio doors wasn't lost on me.

« Reply #31 on: 18 October, 2021, 01:43:58 pm »
Burglers don't like making a noise. ;D

ian

« Reply #32 on: 18 October, 2021, 02:21:58 pm »
Breaking a patio door unit doesn't make much noise, as our gardeners have demonstrated (strimmed a pebble into it). Once shattered it comes out (mostly) in one piece.

Anyway, it was a genuine question – I have no idea if in the real-world burglars are forcing sub-standard locks. Back when we bought this place, the insurance at the time demanded all kinds of lock, when we renewed elsewhere this year they didn't seem bothered. Having a burglar alarm (we only have a pretend one and cameras) didn't much alter the premium either.

That said, we don't live in a footballer-style mansion with a brace of Range Rovers on the drive, so it's unlikely to be targeted, most of the thievery around here is opportunistic, doors and windows left open etc. Or the ubiquitous catalytic converter thefts.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 18 October, 2021, 02:42:16 pm »
Burglars didn't give a shit about making a noise when they crowbarred out one window and used our hammer to smash their way out of another one Christmas day many years ago...

« Reply #34 on: 18 October, 2021, 03:54:37 pm »
Burglars didn't give a shit about making a noise when they crowbarred out one window and used our hammer to smash their way out of another one Christmas day many years ago...

So why worry about a small glass panel in the door, from which the thumb lock can't be seen.  They'll be around the back with a spade getting in. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)