Author Topic: Birmingham - any good commuting routes between Harborne and Sutton?  (Read 1562 times)

Hi, asking in case someone has useful commuting route thoughts going between Harborne (SW Birmingham) and Sutton Coldfield.

It's for my wife, who's just started at Good Hope hospital. The problem is that this needs to be suitable in the dark, both early in the morning and late at night, and the M6 is in the way. All of the routes I've been able to find go via the canal or narrow underpasses, so failing on the suitability front!

Re: Birmingham - any good commuting routes between Harborne and Sutton?
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:31:19 pm »
If I were doing that journey I'd do the walkway to Summerfield Park, Birmingham Canal Main Line, Birmingham Fazeley to Spaghetti Junction and continue on the towpath to NCR 534, Pipe Hayes Park then the New Hall Valley Cycle Route to the hospital. I can understand there are parts that might ring alarm bells for late/dark travel.

I know someone who cycle commutes from Sutton Coldfield to the Jewellery Quarter - I assume along a route that overlaps with this one. I could sound her out about it or pass on an email address and a request if your wife would like to speak to someone who's been riding it for a couple of years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:44:17 pm »
I tend to just ride down the A5127 to Sutton from town.  It's not pleasant, but it's no-worse-than-usual cars rather than dark corners, broken glass and sketchy surfaces.  YMMV.

(Birmingham *desperately* needs a decent cycling route in this direction.  All the alternatives are some combination of socially unsafe, hilly and complicatedly indirect.)

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2021, 10:50:58 pm »
I tend to just ride down the A5127 to Sutton from town.  It's not pleasant, but it's no-worse-than-usual cars rather than dark corners, broken glass and sketchy surfaces.  YMMV.

(Birmingham *desperately* needs a decent cycling route in this direction.  All the alternatives are some combination of socially unsafe, hilly and complicatedly indirect.)

Thanks! How's the A5127 roundabout by Spaghetti Junction?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2021, 10:58:43 pm »

Terrifying.

Si

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2021, 10:49:32 am »

Theres an underpass that's a bit glass strewn and deserted.
Or you can drop into the canal just before the roundabout.
Or you can go round Salford pond , down the works road and onto the canal.

The roundabout isn't too bad coming out of town as long asmyou are happy to take the lane.....much better now that the traffic lights are there.  Going the other way is ,  erm, challenging when it's busy.

Lisa at CSB is currently doing some morning commuter rides from wylde green station into the city to show people various routes...Wednesday mornings, 7.15 ...wrong way for you but might give some ideas, plus there was a free coffee !