Author Topic: Cheap landline phone with caller screening?  (Read 921 times)

Cheap landline phone with caller screening?
« on: 28 October, 2021, 03:29:37 pm »
About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a BT one of these with an answerphone but also caller screening where the caller has to say who they are then the phone rings and you here who it is and can decide whether to speak to them or not.

Problem is its fucked. Can anyone recommend a new one that doesn't cost much, please?

Re: Cheap landline phone with caller screening?
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2021, 07:14:06 pm »
Get the same type off eBay, that’s what I did. Call Guardian is what you’re after.  Or get the stand-alone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284468277984?hash=item423ba172e0:g:q4QAAOSw2ghhI~Gk
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2021, 07:22:42 pm »
Not sure of it is the same thing. Mine makes the caller say their name, then the phone rings and plays the recording of their name. It's great because nuisance callers never bother so the phone never rings.

Does it do that?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2021, 07:26:21 pm »
Ah.

That's why you never answer my calls.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2021, 07:31:46 pm »
Are you the heavy breather?

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2021, 07:38:59 pm »
Think the BT phones are based on Truecall. You can buy that as a separate box, but costs £100. So probably cheaper to buy a phone with it built in. https://www.truecall.co.uk/

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:02:45 pm »
Are you the heavy breather?

I am both the heavy breathers.

« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2021, 08:05:56 pm »
I've had to nail my letterbox shut because of you

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2021, 09:51:54 pm »
Think the BT phones are based on Truecall. You can buy that as a separate box, but costs £100. So probably cheaper to buy a phone with it built in. https://www.truecall.co.uk/
I've got an original Truecall unit that's still going strong. For whatever marketing reason the prices of Truecall boxes went through the roof after they hooked up with BT.
I pay a pittance each year for web access to the control portal, but I consider it money well spent.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2021, 01:16:08 am »
Mum has a TrueCall unit. We pay annually, and I add/remove numbers as necessary, from the internet control panel.

« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2021, 10:32:58 am »
Not sure of it is the same thing. Mine makes the caller say their name, then the phone rings and plays the recording of their name. It's great because nuisance callers never bother so the phone never rings.

Does it do that?

Yes. Although new BT phones do indeed seem to have it branded Truecall - whatever, I don't have to pay anything for what I use, I bought the phones as returns off eBay.

ETA: These still have Call Guardian - not cheap but it'll let you see the functionality.

https://www.helpfulthings.co.uk/products/bt-advanced-twin

And as you know, it works really well.  We still have a wired phone plugged in, for emergencies. It's so old you can't turn the ring off completely, so often whaen we're reading we'll hear the single ring before the call guardian cuts in. In 5 years we've not had a single nuisance call get through.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2021, 10:35:55 am »
 :thumbsup:   thankyou