Author Topic: Window blackout shutters  (Read 944 times)

Window blackout shutters
« on: 03 November, 2021, 11:01:20 am »
My new-build house is generally well insulated, but in the summer it got uncomfortably warm due to the solar warmth generated by two large-ish windows at the front of the house.

I'd like some way of shutting out the sun more effectively than the blackout curtains I have already. The issue with those is that much of the heat has already entered the house, so I'd like something that fits the windows better, preferably internally. Does the panel have any suggestions for solutions?

I'm aware of external roller shutters, but they are ugly and the windows are a decorative feature of the front of the house, so not an option.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Window blackout shutters
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2021, 11:39:53 am »
Secondary double glazing panel (which will be single pane) with reflective coating stuck on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Reflective-Film-Control-Privacy/dp/B00GC9AKR6?th=1
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2021, 02:18:22 pm »
Isn't that going to bounce the energy back through the double-glazed unit in situ?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2021, 08:17:10 pm »
Some sort of pergola arrangement outside the windows?

ian

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2021, 09:36:17 pm »
Paint your windows with bitumen.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2021, 09:41:10 pm »
If your house is new build it should have the solar reflective glass fitted.

Has the glass been fitted in the correct orientation?

« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2021, 10:10:47 am »
If your house is new build it should have the solar reflective glass fitted.

No, it shouldn't. It might have, but unlikely.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2021, 11:54:01 am »
How much room do you have at the front of the house to play with?  Pergolas, sunshades etc. spring to mind.

« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2021, 05:04:14 pm »
There is space to erect sun shades, but I'd like a solution that keeps the sun out in summer and the heat in in winter ideally.