Author Topic: Basic electronic payment card  (Read 1233 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Basic electronic payment card
« Reply #25 on: 07 November, 2021, 07:24:36 pm »
The only place in the Netherlands, I couldn’t use my U.K. debit card was Albert Hein  (the supermarket) but every other shop/hotel/restaurant it was fine.

You've stayed in tourist places then. Most other shops, bars, restaurants, and cafes are like AH, and do not accept anything other than Maestro and V-Pay.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: 10 November, 2021, 10:57:55 am »
The only place in the Netherlands, I couldn’t use my U.K. debit card was Albert Hein  (the supermarket) but every other shop/hotel/restaurant it was fine.

You've stayed in tourist places then. Most other shops, bars, restaurants, and cafes are like AH, and do not accept anything other than Maestro and V-Pay.

J

Presumably credit cards like Mastercard are OK? Is it that they don't like UK debit cards because they're in £ or does that go for eurozone debit cards as well (just in case I ever get tempted into a flat audax!)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 10 November, 2021, 11:09:03 am »
Presumably credit cards like Mastercard are OK? Is it that they don't like UK debit cards because they're in £ or does that go for eurozone debit cards as well (just in case I ever get tempted into a flat audax!)

Nope. If it does not say Maestro or V-Pay. IT WILL NOT WORK IN 90% OF DUTCH SHOPS, BARS, and RESTAURANTS.

You can use a visa debit, mastercard debit, mastercard credit, and visa credit at 3 Albert Heijn locations (Dam Square, Visselgracht, Leidseplein). That's it, for the whole country. You can use them at places at stations typically. And in other tourist places. But outside of that. No chance. All the Brits found this out on RatN when they couldn't buy drinks at the start at Cafe de Proloog. It applies everywhere. Unless it says Maestro or V-pay. It will not work except in places with high tourist numbers. It's nothing to do with pound or dollar. It literally is maestro vs v-pay.

Why the fuck is it?

Well Maestro/v-pay have next to zero buyer protection, and as such cost approx €0.02 per transaction for volumes of approx 500 per month. Vs the €0.20 + 3.4% of anything with 16 digits on it. Remember Mastercard debit and Mastercard credit are processed via the same mechanism.

The good news is this is changing.

https://netherlandsnewslive.com/maestro-disappears-from-the-debit-card-money/263274/

From 2023 .NL is moving to the modern age, at which point things should change, with non Dutch cards working better.

The thing is, because Maestro works for making payments pretty much everywhere outside .NL, yet is basically only issued in .NL and a couple of other places, they don't realise that noone else's cards work here. Which also gives them little need to give a shit. For online payments from Dutch companies, cos they can't use their cards, there is a system called iDeal, which is basically a wrapper for a bank transfer. and comes with NO BUYER PROTECTION. I've seen a few Dutch friends scammed when paying with iDeal. And of course it's Dutch only. But good luck buying from a company abroad and paying with iDeal. Paypal is popular for that case.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #28 on: 10 November, 2021, 11:42:05 am »
You have done a very good job of persuading me I don't want to go to Holland! :) I'm also thankful I haven't had to work with their till systems either!