Author Topic: NVR switch wiring  (Read 308 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
NVR switch wiring
« on: 07 November, 2021, 05:12:50 pm »
Just want to double check the wiring for a new NVR switch that I'm fitting to an old bandsaw machine (the thing is rated at the right level).

The switch has 4 spade terminals numbered 1-4 arranged as 2 x 2 with a separator moulding.   The wiring diagram printed on the side of the switch looks like this:

I assume it's as simple as connecting the incoming power to 3 and 4 and then the outgoing to 1 & 2 (with the earth bypassing the switch but within the switch housing) - seems logical to me!  The end result should mean that if the mains power fails then the machine switch will change to "OFF" - thus not start again when the power resumes - I shall, of course, test it before relying on it.

Re: NVR switch wiring
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2021, 07:46:29 pm »
Just want to double check the wiring for a new NVR switch that I'm fitting to an old bandsaw machine (the thing is rated at the right level).

The switch has 4 spade terminals numbered 1-4 arranged as 2 x 2 with a separator moulding.   The wiring diagram printed on the side of the switch looks like this:

I assume it's as simple as connecting the incoming power to 3 and 4 and then the outgoing to 1 & 2 (with the earth bypassing the switch but within the switch housing) - seems logical to me!  The end result should mean that if the mains power fails then the machine switch will change to "OFF" - thus not start again when the power resumes - I shall, of course, test it before relying on it.
I'm pretty sure that it is as simple as that.

Is it anything like this:- https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RRMAAOSwyGpd3e7j/s-l1600.jpg ?

When testing it, and it's turned off, check that there is little or no voltage between Live In and Neutral Out, and that there is little or no voltage between Neutral In and Live Out. You want to make sure that the double pole isolator is indeed isolating both the live and the neutral. The test I outline above will confirm that.

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2021, 07:57:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure that it is as simple as that.

Is it anything like this:- https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RRMAAOSwyGpd3e7j/s-l1600.jpg ?

When testing it, and it's turned off, check that there is little or no voltage between Live In and Neutral Out, and that there is little or no voltage between Neutral In and Live Out. You want to make sure that the double pole isolator is indeed isolating both the live and the neutral. The test I outline above will confirm that.

Yep - pretty much the same (and the diagram is the same) except that mine has a hinged red "hit it" red button for stopping as well as the red and green push buttons.   Thanks, I'll give it a go - worst it can do is trip the fuse board!

This is the one:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077PLZJRL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2021, 03:12:00 pm »
Update - all wired up as per the diagram and it works!  I'm not impressed with the "hit it" hinged red button so may take that off and just use the red and green push switches.  It's only me that uses the machine.   

Next stage is to get another NVR switch and replace the normal on/off switch on my home-made (rebuilt yesterday) router table.   I could really do with a plastic box enclosure to mount the switch. . . where's the Tandy shop, or even Maplins, when you need it?  ;D ;D

« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2021, 08:47:37 pm »
Next stage is to get another NVR switch and replace the normal on/off switch on my home-made (rebuilt yesterday) router table.   I could really do with a plastic box enclosure to mount the switch. . . where's the Tandy shop, or even Maplins, when you need it?  ;D ;D

Easy answer CPC - farnell   :)

DOL starter single phase in enclosure £33-38 inc VAT + P&P, with of course, NVR.
https://cpc.farnell.com/europa-components/le1-d123u7/dol-starter-abs-12a-5-5kw-240v/dp/MC02287

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2021, 08:59:50 pm »

Easy answer CPC - farnell   :)

DOL starter single phase in enclosure £33-38 inc VAT + P&P, with of course, NVR.
https://cpc.farnell.com/europa-components/le1-d123u7/dol-starter-abs-12a-5-5kw-240v/dp/MC02287

I was joking!  - the £12 NVR switch does the job and I'll make a plywood housing on the router table.