Author Topic: WFH desk / desktop help  (Read 1668 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: WFH desk / desktop help
« Reply #25 on: 08 November, 2021, 08:54:52 pm »
Mrs Pingu, in my situation I have velcroed similar hubs to the underside of a desk. In your case, where it sits now just on the underside.

The dock for barakta's $ork1 laptop is cable-tied to the steel structure on the underside of her desk in exactly this manner.  This works pretty well, apart from the fact that her $ork2 laptop lacks the drivers to make use of its monitor outputs.  (She also has an $ork2 dock, which the $ork1 laptop lacks the drivers for in its entirety.  This is all deeply suboptimal.)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 08 November, 2021, 10:03:11 pm »
Having seen something like this on etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1014332810/under-desk-double-decker-laptop-holder?ref=share_v3_lx I'm thinking I could just buy 3 metal u shaped brackets.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #27 on: 09 November, 2021, 09:42:10 am »
I really like this solution (though I've not implemented it) - you could mount it under the desk or on the wall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGX34631pdk&list=PLOJU8YJjFwGNoMUCmJyUbeuLsx1yQr9m9&index=5

I'll be getting a new work laptop this week, so will see how I can hide it. If I get really creative I might even try to follow his guide on how to hide a big monitor inside a shelf!

ian

• not a woman, not an american, not a vampire
« Reply #28 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:07:57 am »
I don't really get docking stations. I know, horses for courses and all that, my wife has one. I just plug my laptop into a monitor and use a wireless mouse and I do bigly data in a very important-wise way.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #29 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:31:02 am »
I don't really get docking stations.

I just have a little USB-C hub the size of a singular Twix that is emblazoned with ports

That will be a USB-C Docking Station, then...

Woofage

• Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #30 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:33:01 am »
Having seen something like this on etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1014332810/under-desk-double-decker-laptop-holder?ref=share_v3_lx I'm thinking I could just buy 3 metal u shaped brackets.

Get 3 pieces of scrap wood (eg 18mm ply) and molish them into an inverted "pi" form. Hey presto, instant laptop stand. Doesn't get it off the desk, but the footprint is much smaller.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #31 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:38:06 am »
The area to the underside rear of the desk is a good place to hide stuffs. My desk is an Ikea wood kitchen worktop, with kitchen wall units repurposed as base units (they're the right height for a desk). to the rear of the worktop (actually, another 200mm planted on to make it wider) I have fixed corner joints looping cable ties through the centre hole to make a cable carrier. I have some small angle brackets holding a thin piece of ply to which I have fixed a small network hub vertically, and a multi way powered USB hub (that's actually to the back of a support unit, but the same principle would have worked. Those ideas might help some way. (my laptop is on a shelf located on a third screen stand, with a wireless keyboard)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:38:46 am »
I don't really get docking stations. I know, horses for courses and all that, my wife has one. I just plug my laptop into a monitor and use a wireless mouse and I do bigly data in a very important-wise way.

You obviously don’t have an SSD for video editing, an SSD for work photos, an SSD for leisure photos, backup disks, an Ethernet connection, a LoupedeckCT and more…
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

ian

« Reply #33 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:43:35 am »
I don't really get docking stations.

I just have a little USB-C hub the size of a singular Twix that is emblazoned with ports

That will be a USB-C Docking Station, then...

Yeah, but it's not a hunk of computer funk that requires infrastructure to support it, so ner. I do have several drives, but they're just plugged into the back of my iMac and don't take up much space as they're little portable things.

I've actually noticed that under my desk is an adjustable computer suspension device (basically a suspended platform with adjustable straps).

Also, lot of dust and cat fur. I guess the cleaner doesn't go under there either. You can't get the staff these days.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets

« Reply #34 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:56:58 am »
Every time I unplug my laptop, all the cables I need to plug into it fall on the floor and when I return I need to spend a little while scrabbling around plugging everything back in. Something that allows me to park my laptop out of the way, while plugged into the stuff it needs will hopefully mean that I can hide all the other gubbins (usb dock, switch, power supplies, headset etc) out of the way too.
If the office was just the office, then I guess I wouldn't bother, but it's also the bedroom, which means that clutter is not encouraged.

ian

« Reply #35 on: 09 November, 2021, 12:14:24 pm »
All I have in the hub and power supply. I just talk at the computer rather than use headsets and the like. Everything else is wireless. It's like I've come to you from a fabulous future and I have the shiny silver lycra bodysuit* to prove it.

*don't bother, the silver always eventually flakes off. Even the future hasn't fixed that.

« Reply #36 on: 09 November, 2021, 12:41:47 pm »
I have yet to find a wireless mouse/keyboard that I like. And at the moment I need to plug into a switch so I can access other devices for work on my LAN - hopefully my new job will have less hardware. :)

« Reply #37 on: 09 November, 2021, 06:30:21 pm »
I have yet to find a wireless mouse/keyboard that I like . . .  :)
I've been using Logitech MK270 wireless keyboard & mouse for years now and find them very good ergonomically, functionally and price-wise,  with a very long battery life too (I use eneloops).  I am pretty heavy on the keys though and have worn away the lettering on the E. R,T, S, D & C keys - I have stuck keyboard letter stickers over the keys twice but worn them away too.  Have you tried that combo?  What is it about the ones that you have tried that you didn't like?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 09 November, 2021, 07:02:33 pm »
The area to the underside rear of the desk is a good place to hide stuffs. My desk is an Ikea wood kitchen worktop, with kitchen wall units repurposed as base units (they're the right height for a desk). to the rear of the worktop (actually, another 200mm planted on to make it wider) I have fixed corner joints looping cable ties through the centre hole to make a cable carrier. I have some small angle brackets holding a thin piece of ply to which I have fixed a small network hub vertically, and a multi way powered USB hub (that's actually to the back of a support unit, but the same principle would have worked. Those ideas might help some way. (my laptop is on a shelf located on a third screen stand, with a wireless keyboard)
A photo would probably help me visualise that :)

« Reply #39 on: 09 November, 2021, 08:33:31 pm »

A photo would probably help me visualise that :)

Behold Teh Underdesk

You are looking in the kneehole of the desk, with the kitchen units on each side. The right hand one holds the tower system, on the left you see the PDU purloined from a server cabinet one time with master switched and non-switched desktop PDU (white plugs), network hub and phone PSU. On the Right, you can see the Anker USB Hub as it does PROPER usb 3, it is zip tied to a piece of thin ply which is screwed to a small angle bracket, you can't see the network hub as it is to the left but that is similarly vertically mounted. The cable manglement are the white plastic blocks, with zip ties loosely through the middle, they go all the way under the overhang at the back. If you look you can see the join where I planted an extra piece onthe back to achieve the right depth for the desk. I should add you can see on the right the velcro command strips that represented my original USB mount and that failed very quickly after installation.

ian

« Reply #40 on: 09 November, 2021, 08:46:35 pm »
Under my desk is a monster made out of cat fluff, cobwebs, and the crumbs from the thousand Mini-Cheddars. It breeds fear.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #41 on: 09 November, 2021, 08:50:18 pm »
Under my desk is the aftermath of a war of attrition between vegetarian Doc Martens and landlord-quality carpet.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 09 November, 2021, 09:45:02 pm »
@Ham, much easier to comprehend, thank you :)

I also note you have a handy foot warming device at the back of your desk.
May I say that the plug orientation on that strip makes no sense?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #43 on: 09 November, 2021, 09:54:54 pm »
What did I say about the kitteh docking station?
2021-11-09_06-30-29 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #44 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:07:42 pm »
Don't cut the red wire, Ham!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #45 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:25:01 pm »

Possibly made some sense in the server cabinet it was purloined from?

Our rack's got (sensibly spaced) vertically aligned sockets molished into it, along with a pair of sensibly 45 degree (but too tightly spaced for larger wall-warts) 8-way strips I'd previously scored for peanuts on eBay.  This number of sockets has made decreasingly less sense as I've managed to consolidate functionality into fewer pieces of hardware.  (Losing all the MythTV stuff when broadcast telly became superfluous, and using Power-over-Ethernet for much of the network and alerting kit.)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #46 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:32:37 pm »
I'm not going to post a under-the-desk pic; I've done that before.
Suffice it to say there's an emergency phone down there.

I can also probably restore power to the velociraptor pens from there too.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #47 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:59:54 pm »
Lightweight power strips, those.

<strokes his 15 socket strip>
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #48 on: 09 November, 2021, 11:41:13 pm »
Lightweight power strips, those.

<strokes his 15 socket strip>

Going to need a bigger desk...

« Reply #49 on: 10 November, 2021, 07:53:05 am »

You may, certainly. There are two questions any reasonable person might ask themselves when examining the technicalities of such an installation.

First, is that power switch at floor level not a Nelfnsafety issue? For the 'elf of the computers? For, surely, you could switch it off inadvertently with your foot? To that I can answer no. That is because (a) there is a footrest, removed for the purpose of the photo shoot (it is shy) that mostly prevents that and (b) it is out of a server cab and has a VERY positive action by design, so not easy to operate. Before the advent of the switched spur relatively recently I used to have to scrabble and switch it on and off daily, to power down all equipment, for Nelfnsafety of course. That said, yes I have inadvertently switched it off, probably just once or twice over 20 years. Work work is on laptop, so unlikely to be critical, just inconvenient

Then, you might ask, why that top plug which leads to the switched spur and thence to the vertical desk PDU is squished in the top? That is a fair question. I would point the eagle eyed reader to the small mark at the bottom right of the switched spur. This mark is actually a giveaway that the box originally sat some four inches closer to the rear on first installation. This highlighted a failing in the design and planning, which would have been absolutely perfect for an orangutan, but proved to be less so for a human. Moving it back that four inches made it a functional switch, but prevented the oh-so-carefully-cut lead from reaching the lower area of the PDU, where it would need to be to be inserted, leaving the top as the only logical place. Arguably, all the rest of the plugs in the PDU could be dropped down, but I quite like them being as high as possible, and the electrons seem to squeeze around the bend just fine.

There. Are you glad you asked?