Author Topic: Recommend me a powerbank.  (Read 1309 times)

Recommend me a powerbank.
« on: 09 November, 2021, 10:01:39 pm »
This is for a cycling use (powering a Cree T6 front light https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32614646189.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.51f04c4dMR73BD ) but, as with all these things, not only.  I find that my existing very cheap and very tired (4000mA, 3.7v nominal) "batterie nomade" - it doesn't merit the description of powerbank - has a run time of about 5mins and not properly at that. The difference when plugging the light into the laptop is flagrant!

So what is worth having, not too pricey and preferably available on Amazon or otherwise known on the continent. It needs to output a genuine 5v I think and have proper USB connectors (it seems that they all do but with my luck I'll fall for the only one that is uniquely USB C) and probably be around 25000mA. It seems that 30-50€ is the price range but I would prefer the lower end (obviously).

All suggestions welcome!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Recommend me a powerbank.
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:04:58 pm »
This is for a cycling use (powering a Cree T6 front light https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32614646189.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.51f04c4dMR73BD ) but, as with all these things, not only.  I find that my existing very cheap and very tired (4000mA, 3.7v nominal) "batterie nomade" - it doesn't merit the description of powerbank - has a run time of about 5mins and not properly at that. The difference when plugging the light into the laptop is flagrant!

So what is worth having, not too pricey and preferably available on Amazon or otherwise known on the continent. It needs to output a genuine 5v I think and have proper USB connectors (it seems that they all do but with my luck I'll fall for the only one that is uniquely USB C) and probably be around 25000mA. It seems that 30-50€ is the price range but I would prefer the lower end (obviously).

All suggestions welcome!

Anker powercore II 26800. Excellent unit. I have two.
https://amzn.to/2G64YZu

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:12:48 pm »
I have an older PowerCore, and it's performed admirably well.  Notable lack of pass-through charging, if that's important to you, and it does switch itself off below some minimum current.

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2021, 06:31:27 am »
Anker would be my first preference but pretty much anything will do.  Main questions are what run time do you need and where are you going to carry the batteries - hence what size and shape do you need?

On low power you should get about 7 hours use of that light from a 10Ah battery pack.  Do you need longer than that?  If not, don't get a bigger battery as it will be more bulky and awkward to carry. 

Anker are good, not so much for the electricals, but because they are a compact shape which fits easily in a bag and they come with a little padded bag which protects them when carried with other things.  I've got two of these, both about 5 years old now and still going strong.  There are bigger or smaller sizes if you need more or less range.
https://uk.anker.com/products/a1263
They are on Amazon but the link is very long!

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2021, 07:33:55 am »
I too have a battery of Anker banks. Different sizes, different capacity, different ages. I have had others (some patently dodgy but also a Pebble which 'should' have been reliable and wasn't) but I think they've been false economy - the Anker have lasted much better.

« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:04:26 am »
I have one of these CHJGD 10Ah packs from 2017, they still seem to be the best bang for weight and it has stood the test of time quite well (now has slight blowing), but curiously they don't seem to be available these days outside South Africa, so possibly not the most useful contribution. To make up for that, here's a link to an interview with the Anker CEO

« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:21:13 am »
Anker stuff is about double the price of what it was a few years back, at least partly due to the “just buy Anker” effect. There’s lots of stuff that’s better value for money, and a lot of the dodgier made-up mAh stuff isn’t common anymore.

If you’re buying a 20,000 mAh power bank some way to charge it quicker than overnight is desirable, which these days is USB C PD.

« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:55:47 am »

All suggestions welcome!

Anker powercore II 26800. Excellent unit. I have two.
https://amzn.to/2G64YZu

J

I also have 2 and they are reliable and well made.  I have had other makes but generally been disappointed.

There may be a bit of brand inflation but reliability is something that I value as well as not creating excessive waste. 

My last powerbank before Anker was an EasyAcc.  It still lives with a friend who lives on the canal.  It still works very well but the casing has taken a battering in spite of it having a cushy life and being well looked after.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2021, 09:53:14 am »
Anker stuff is about double the price of what it was a few years back, at least partly due to the “just buy Anker” effect. There’s lots of stuff that’s better value for money, and a lot of the dodgier made-up mAh stuff isn’t common anymore.

If you’re buying a 20,000 mAh power bank some way to charge it quicker than overnight is desirable, which these days is USB C PD.

Which is why the power bank I linked to has two micro usb inputs. It can charge at 2.4A off both. If you're not in a rush. Just plug in one (cells will last longer that way). If you need it charged fast. Plug in both. Also means you can use existing wall warts that don't necessarily understand usb-c PD.

I got my power bank for ultra racing. The idea being I can charge it in a short stop at a hotel, and still use light weight charger units.

I have a pair of 4 port RAVpower units that can do 60W across four ports. Chqrges the power pack very well.

I àlso have a 10Ah pack from IKEA, which has been reliable for when I need less power. But I think IKEA discontinued it.

J
--

« Reply #9 on: 10 November, 2021, 10:07:36 am »
It can charge at 2.4A off both.

4.8 A is more than a lot of chargers are specced for. I wouldn’t expect that to work reliably unless using either a known good charger or two separate chargers. And if you’re bringing your charger you might as well make it USB C.

« Reply #10 on: 10 November, 2021, 10:47:25 am »
Well thank you everyone for all that. Anker stuff on french Amazon seems to be slightly cheaper than on Amazon UK. What I'm getting is a Powercore 13000 which in black is 30€. The 10000 is slightly cheaper and probably better value, the 20000 gives double the rated size over the 10000 for only 9€ more so more sparks for your buck but the 13000 is a better shape! It is also a lot more expensive if you want it in another colour!

I suspect that what makes Anker superior is probably the quality of the batteries. I have an exploded cheap small powerbank with a plastic bag for a battery! Compared with for example Belkin the Anker prices are not excessive at all (but I think France may be slightly cheaper than UK; blame it on the boogie Brexit!)

edit: The Anker 13000 Amazon UK 43.31€ + 5.17€ p&p Amazon France 29.99€ post gratuit (the same black one!) I didn't realise I still had the two tabs open!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 10 November, 2021, 11:10:36 am »
It can charge at 2.4A off both.

4.8 A is more than a lot of chargers are specced for. I wouldn’t expect that to work reliably unless using either a known good charger or two separate chargers. And if you’re bringing your charger you might as well make it USB C.

Many chargers can pump out 2.4A on a port, and can do so across multiple ports. Which is how the unit I linked to can do 2 x 2.4A. You can of course always use two single port wall warts which each put out 2.4A.

I know the combo I have works. YMMV of course.

J
--

« Reply #12 on: 10 November, 2021, 12:46:25 pm »
The outputs on multiport adapters and power banks are* usually driven by a single 5V regulator circuit that’s smaller than the total rated output of all of the ports. The three port Ikea Koppla I have is 2.4A/port but only 3.0A total.

(* Or were. PD / QuickCharge things will be different)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 10 November, 2021, 04:58:08 pm »
The outputs on multiport adapters and power banks are* usually driven by a single 5V regulator circuit that’s smaller than the total rated output of all of the ports. The three port Ikea Koppla I have is 2.4A/port but only 3.0A total.

(* Or were. PD / QuickCharge things will be different)

Yes, for this to work you need a power adaptor that can output more than 4.8 amps. Mine are 60W. Meaning that it can put out 2.4A on each of two ports, and still have enough left to charge my wahoo and my camera.

J
--