Author Topic: Cyclehoop, finally got a space!  (Read 2149 times)

Cyclehoop, finally got a space!
« on: 11 November, 2021, 12:35:54 pm »
After a year on the waiting list I've finally got a space in my local cyclehoop. It's to park my commute bike, as the wife was upset with it being stored in the hallway.

I've never used one before, but from the chatter on the street's whatsapp group, it's all about leaving passive aggressive notes to other users reminding them to shut and lock the lid.

Much like urinals, is there a etiquette to which space to use if others are occupied? I assume as we're all neighbours, you'd use your regular space, or should you always try and avoid parking directly next to an occupied space?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Cyclehoop, finally got a space!
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2021, 12:55:17 pm »
I thought a cyclehoop was a ring screwed to a lamp post to lock bikes to...

« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2021, 12:58:09 pm »
ah, it's bikehangar from Cyclehoop

This thing https://www.cyclehoop.com/product/shelters-canopies/bikehangar/

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2021, 01:01:09 pm »
Ours are allocated, so we don’t have that problem.

Remember a hangar is only one step up from leaving it out on the street, so assume anything in there will be nicked/trashed/crashed into in short order.

I don’t know why they have the perforated ends that make casing them so easy.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2021, 01:08:00 pm »
A question at the end of a survey about a pedestrianised street asked if you'd like a Bikehangar on your street. I said yes but don't expect to hear back, in part because the streets are so narrow. (The survey by the way was even crapper than usual: the maps had errors, and although the decision to make the scheme permanent has been announced, one of the options was to scrap it.)

Enjoy your space, Gerald. And does anyone else think "cyclehoop" sounds like an exciting new way to play basketball?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2021, 01:30:18 pm »
Grand idea as long as you don't have 60cm frame and 700c wheels or a recumbent
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2021, 02:47:26 pm »
Or a cargo bike, tandem, grocer's bike, etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2021, 02:52:34 pm »
Interestingly, this popped up on my timeline: https://twitter.com/CargodadC/status/1458474382192435200
It doesn't specify what the adapted cycle is, but I'm guessing some sort of trike.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2021, 03:35:58 pm »
I'm wondering what purpose the elevated floor serves and how the disabled user gets their cycle on to it.

« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2021, 04:01:30 pm »
Bike hangars are typically mounted in the road with the door opening towards the pavement, so the platform will provide level access.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:12:21 pm »
The one I use has only had 4 bikes (out of 6 spots) for the last few months but the Cyclehoop website doesn't show any free spaces, so I assume these are people who signed up and either moved away or gave up cycling. As far as I can tell you can't get a pro-rata refund if you no longer need the space, so there isn't an incentive to hand back the keys part way through a year.

As a design it does the job of keeping the bike dry and secure and nobody's driven or broken into it yet...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:13:15 pm »
Bike hangars are typically mounted in the road with the door opening towards the pavement, so the platform will provide level access.

That makes sense.  As long as there's a dropped kerb nearby...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:20:50 pm »
Or as long as there's an undropped kerb and the yellow floor is at kerb height?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:26:27 pm »
Or as long as there's an undropped kerb and the yellow floor is at kerb height?

I mean for getting off the pavement after you've extracted your cycle from the hanger.  Getting up and down kerbs can be anything from awkward to impossible for three-wheelers, even without a physical impairment.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:42:16 pm »
Okay, I thought you meant for getting the trike (or whatever cycle it is) off the kerb into the hangar.

« Reply #15 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:57:47 pm »
London seems to be pretty well provisioned for dropped kerbs, and mostly even for people not parking in/on them.

Hangars are on telescopic legs so the platform can be matched to whatever kerb there is. The awkwardness of opening and closing the door will still exclude many people from this design.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 11 November, 2021, 06:01:18 pm »
London seems to be pretty well provisioned for dropped kerbs, and mostly even for people not parking in/on them.

Hangars are on telescopic legs so the platform can be matched to whatever kerb there is. The awkwardness of opening and closing the door will still exclude many people from this design.

Yeah, barakta would struggle.  Which is an improvement on the current arrangement of a two-person lift to get her trike out of the house.  Or the London version, which would be living in a shoebox without room for a trike irrespective of the door.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:59:02 pm »

I'd love to see these start to appear here. We could lose some of our parking spaces for cars, and use them with bike hangers instead. Better than the littering the pavement approach we have outside my flat.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 11 November, 2021, 08:09:18 pm »
UK is ahead of NL in cycle provision shock horror!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 11 November, 2021, 08:13:48 pm »
UK is ahead of NL in cycle provision shock horror!

It's basically the only area...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #20 on: 11 November, 2021, 09:29:41 pm »
I’ve seen quite a few Fietshangars around NL. Maybe they’re as unevenly distributed as they are here.

On the dog walk I noticed bike hangars invariably have their front feet on the kerb (they’re too deep not to), so the design in the rendering would require a step up. Hmmm.