Author Topic: Magnetic window cleaners  (Read 2171 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Magnetic window cleaners
« on: 17 November, 2021, 05:09:54 pm »
Anyone got one? Good, bad, terrible?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

Re: Magnetic window cleaners
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:27:21 pm »
I have not tested him.

He's not attracted to ladders though, so it seems a poor career choice (uses poles, which seems a successful alternative though, we have clean windows).

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:53:54 pm »
I thought that all the poles had gone back.
Ladders are a H&S no-no (not noo-noo  - that's for vacuuming up the tubby custard).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:56:18 pm »
Like the things you get for failing to scrape the algae off the inside of a fish tank?  They're rubbish.  Get an ancistrus catfish instead.

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2021, 06:00:41 pm »
Thought about it once upon a time, but I'm too high up and I had visions of it falling and hitting someone on the head. :hand:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2021, 06:22:34 pm »
Thought about it once upon a time, but I'm too high up and I had visions of it falling and hitting someone on the head. :hand:
They come with a leash for the outside one that you attach to your wrist to avoid that.

Like the things you get for failing to scrape the algae off the inside of a fish tank?  They're rubbish.  Get an ancistrus catfish instead.
Yes  ;D

ian

« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2021, 08:18:05 pm »
Honestly, get a window cleaner. He even brings his own water, like ours isn't good enough (de-ionized apparently to avoid streaks).

When we first moved in a pigeon apparently the size of a pterodactyl defecated down the bedroom window and I rushed to the shops to get my very own extendable pole (every boy needs one). Attached it to the tap, engaged the water flow. Basically ice cold water ran straight down my arms, under my clothes and into my pants. Bracing.

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:07:32 pm »
The magnetic cleaners only work on single glazed windows, of course.  :)

I clean the outsides of our upstairs windows through the gap on the hinged side of the opening pane (modern windows have double jointed hinges).

Use a long pole cleaner/wiper on the roof light.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:13:41 pm »
Obviously the preferred solution would be a baby elephant.  On stilts.

Anyway, isn't cleaning windows what rain is for?

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:43:03 pm »
Parachuting elephants wearing paper platform shoes.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:06:39 am »
Lived in current house for 20+ years and not cleaned upstairs windows at all apart from the occasional arm out bird poop cleaning effort.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:25:59 am »
If you are going to use a baby elephant, it's correct to use a trampoline to get them to the upper floors.

It took us a couple of years to get a window cleaner (like gardeners, they seem unobtainium around here) – after about four years you had to go outside to see whether it was cloudy or not. Then the first guy came about three times and disappeared. Saw him a few months later, apparently he'd decided to 'chuck it in.' Nice to let your customers know. The new chap with his futuristic window watering system and magic van seems a bit more invested.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:53:31 am »
Same here re gardeners and window cleaners.
Only we now have a reliable gardener, so that's sorted.

But window cleaners.  They seem to come and go. I've always assumed they were in jail when they stopped appearing.
I think they are territorial creatures, and there's some kind of unwritten agreement not to poach each other's turf.

« Reply #13 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:02:00 am »
They come with a leash for the outside one that you attach to your wrist to avoid that.

D'oh - I didn't even think of that! :facepalm:

« Reply #14 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:15:27 am »
Surely someone has made a robot drone to do this?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2021, 04:41:39 pm »
Yebbut window cleaners are shite these days. They wiggle a brush with a hose at the windows, no soap, no squeegee and they always come the day before a pigeon flies into the window.

I don't know how you folks who live with unclean windows for years do it, it drives me mental.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2021, 04:52:54 pm »
Ours is doing his best to maintain the future supply. He can't be out of his sixties but is a great-granddad already. We chat through the window as he cheerfully climbs to the second floor. His employees do the lower levels, presumably because H&S applies to them.
Not especially helpful or mature

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2021, 04:58:20 pm »
Our windows, being sensibly European, open inwards so we don't need window-cleaners, ladders or poles.  Why on earth UK ones don't is beyond me.  Jesus wept, in old UK houses with shutters the things are on the inside.  Where's the sense in that?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:07:14 pm »
I'm probably just going to buy a new cleaning/squeegee head. The windows on the 1st floor swing in (so did the ones in the flat but I had blinds mounted in the window frames so I couldn't open them in that direction) so I'll be able to do them mostly easily, though between the two opening panes is a fixed one which will require some leaning out to clean.
The kitchen (outward only) and bathroom (inward) windows should be easy enough to clean. That leaves the living room window with some tiny outward opening panes above a massive fixed window. I'm hoping that the cleaning head I'm going to buy will fit on the end of the fancy paint roller extension pole I already own.
There's the tiny window at the top of the stairs (fixed) but that's over the asbestos garage roof so it'll just have to get dirty. Maybe one day I'll replace it with (a more energy efficient) one that opens for cleaning when I haven't got anything better to spend my money on.
The cats hated it when the pole and hose window cleaner arrived at our last place, too noisy.

« Reply #19 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:09:38 pm »

But window cleaners.  They seem to come and go. I've always assumed they were in jail when they stopped appearing.
I think they are territorial creatures, and there's some kind of unwritten agreement not to poach each other's turf.
I'm sure that I live in an alternative window cleaning universe.
We've had the same lot for several years - they've got a website, and prefer me to pay by bank transfer (£6)each month - they come as regular as clockwork on the first Wednesday every month. They now use the deionised water on a pole thing.
But - there appears to be two other window cleaner vans that come down our short road at odd times (although one of them might be mates of the JW family coming to discuss goat sacrifices or summat)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:53:15 pm »
Yebbut window cleaners are shite these days. They wiggle a brush with a hose at the windows, no soap, no squeegee and they always come the day before a pigeon flies into the window.

I don't know how you folks who live with unclean windows for years do it, it drives me mental.

Having Birmingham on the other side of it probably helps...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:16:37 pm »
 ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:17:13 pm »
Obviously the preferred solution would be a baby elephant.  On stilts.
That's teamwork: a baby elephant with a giraffe.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #23 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:19:12 pm »
I think a baby elephant would struggle to hold a giraffe.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:19:56 pm »
It could grip it by the neck...