Author Topic: Why do posties wear shorts in winter ?  (Read 855 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Why do posties wear shorts in winter ?
« on: 18 November, 2021, 03:51:51 pm »
I think I can manage cycling shorts if >15C and wore them last weekend.

I heard there might be a Christmas office sweepstake - who turns up for longest in shorts !

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
Re: Why do posties wear shorts in winter ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2021, 03:54:07 pm »
I've asked them! They got pretty warm constantly walking, not dawdling, carrying a fair load, up and down steps. But they're never going fast enough that wind chill is a major factor (unless it's a windy day of course).
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2021, 04:47:43 pm »
Because they can.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:57:00 pm »
Legs grow back when eaten by dogs, trousers don't.

« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:20:26 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Our posties mostly wear shorts all year.

I think I can manage cycling shorts if >15C and wore them last weekend.

I heard there might be a Christmas office sweepstake - who turns up for longest in shorts !

When I used to wear sandals for my 6 mile commute, I found -20 C was about the limit...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:31:52 pm »

That was the rationale for Small Boys wearing Short Trousers to school all year in England in Ye Good Olde Days.

I suppose Spaghetti Stage kids would not outgrow shorts as frequently as long trousers, during post-war austerity.

« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:37:25 pm »
I think some people just like to show off their legs whatever the weather, cyclists included.

« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:11:35 pm »

That was the rationale for Small Boys wearing Short Trousers to school all year in England in Ye Good Olde Days.

I suppose Spaghetti Stage kids would not outgrow shorts as frequently as long trousers, during post-war austerity.

The guy who nearly became my step dad had done well for himself by the time we knew him but things had been tight when his kids were at school. His youngest boy would go through trousers in days. Turned out they played dogs in the playground and crawled round. He got put in shorts all year round

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:12:00 pm »
I was happy wearing shorts at times in winter and wasn't showing off my legs, until a member of Willesden Cycling Club Told Me Off...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:23:12 pm »
...for breaking some probably unwritten club rule? For risking the long term health of your knees? Or for being an immodest young lady?
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Pedaldog

• Aka Pedaldog
  • Contemplating the ashes of experience.
« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:32:46 pm »
 wear shorts all the time, other than Doing anything that says I'm not allowed to. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2021, 11:18:52 pm »
...for breaking some probably unwritten club rule? For risking the long term health of your knees? Or for being an immodest young lady?

Knee health was stated.

I cycled from Hillingdon to winter circuit training in a hall/gym in Wembley..

Shorts indoors were no issue.

Winter road cycling in shorts was scorned.

Wowbagger

• Sylph
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2021, 11:29:40 pm »
Well, they do have to keep their Willie Warmer...
Bach without a doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:51:19 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Some of them...

« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2021, 07:19:48 am »
Nah, it was the lurid tattoos that caused offence.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/fabulous/3255796/teacher-begs-the-tattoo-fixers-extreme-team-to-remove-the-very-rude-leg-inking-she-got-when-she-was-a-rebellious-teen/
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15 on: 19 November, 2021, 07:34:07 am »
I cycle year-round in shorts - but then I have a "secret weapon" having had chemotherapy which gave me peripheral neuropathy.

The result being I have minimal feeling of cold (or heat, which is another issue) in my lower legs and feet.  Once I get moving then any coldness doesn't seem to affect the gap between the cuffs of my shorts legs and the lower leg.

A couple of years ago I was the only member to trun up in shorts at the cycling club's Christmas lunch  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2021, 11:34:46 am »
I'm still in shorts at the moment.
Last year I managed to stay in shorts until Christmas Eve.

« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2021, 12:36:16 pm »
I'm also in shorts/t-shirt at present.  It's starting to cause comments on the school run as other parents have been in padded coats and thick hats for months now.

For me it's a choice that I prefer to feel comfortable as opposed to sweating hot, and I choose my clothes based on the current weather instead of the date on the calendar.  There's rumour in the news media (as always at this time of year) that we'll get snow next week - I doubt it but if we do then I'll hunt out some long shorts.

I did wear trousers the other day as I thought the weather had changed, and hated it as the rain soaked me and they were all clinging.  Had I stayed in shorts my legs would have dried more quickly and I'd have been more comfortable.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #18 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:07:40 pm »
Some people are just impervious to cold.  They're the ones who become shorts-wearing posties and think you can go camping with just a saddlebag.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:16:00 pm »
A friend of mine, let's call him Dan, for that is his name, is a 365 day shorts wearer although not a postman.

He was on top of Sca Fell Pike once , in cloudy Autmnal conditions, dressed, in his best hiking shorts. It was a bit nippy and fog & mist swirled around.
He was approached by a Scout leader
"Can I take your photo, so I can show it to my Scouts so that they can see the wrong way to dress for the mountains?"

"Of course" said Dan. "Would you like me to look really sad as well?"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 19 November, 2021, 03:33:14 pm »
There was a bloke whose daughters were at the same school as my son, who wore shorts 365 days a year. He was not a postie. In fact he made clocks, which he used to sell from a shop in the "Christmas Steps arts quarter". He was not a cyclist either, but he did have very tanned legs.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21 on: 20 November, 2021, 05:41:59 pm »
If its raining, its easier to dry legs than it is trousers
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22 on: 21 November, 2021, 07:47:46 am »
If its raining, its easier to dry legs than it is trousers

^ this

Half a century ago, I cycled to school every day and wore shorts all the time.  This was in the USAnian state of Oregon, known for rather constant precipitation from mid-October until early May. 

I didn't necessarily set out to wear them every day, but after a while it was just the normal thing to do, and peer pressure kept it going.  Until one year when for "Freaky Threads Day" (dress up as whatever you cared to, as long as your body was appropriately covered in the view of the school administrators) I threw them for a loop and wore trousers.