Author Topic: Roberts radio help adaptor  (Read 1478 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Roberts radio help adaptor
« on: 16 November, 2021, 02:55:11 pm »
I have a 2.5 year Roberts radio r 100 where the adaptor has stopped working.  Apparently I need ADAPTOR BLACK (UK) 15V - 2.4A POSITIVE PIN, can someone point me to aftermarket equivalent please.

I did check amazon but could not find something.

Thanks

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Roberts radio help adaptor
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2021, 04:19:34 pm »
Available directly from Roberts, it looks like:

https://www.robertsradiotechnical.co.uk/extpartsrequest.aspx

Roberts by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

velosam

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2021, 06:48:21 pm »
Thanks, I was trying to get something cheaper. To be honest I am irritated its broken after 2.5 years and has been plugged in a single plug all this time.

« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2021, 07:24:14 pm »
The other bit of information needed is the size of the plug - assuming it's one of this sort of thing, the outer diameter and possibly the pin diameter are needed.

velosam

« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2021, 09:13:28 pm »
Will measure tomorrow, but its a L bend

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2021, 09:45:31 pm »
If you are looking for Much Cheapness, then any PSU that outputs 15v and can do at least 2.4A is fine.

Then, as Matt says, it's down to what the plug type is.
It might be a standard one, or it might be proprietary.

Most normal barrel-type ones are + centre, which is correct for your thing ("positive pin").
Many cheap PSUs come with a selection of plugs which can be fitted to the end of the cable.
So if you don't know the exact type, then this may be an option.

You might need to compromise on the right-angle thing.
Much Cheapness comes at a cost.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2021, 10:01:42 pm »
If the connector's particularly exotic, you could always splice the cable with the plug from the old adaptor.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2021, 10:28:41 pm »
^ sense.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2021, 11:20:42 pm »
Don't go too cheap with the power supply as electrical noise will affect the radio. Quite a few older Roberts radios had linear power supplies probably for that reason.

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2021, 07:53:09 am »
Also, be aware that the most common sizes are 2.1 or 2.5 mm - so you need to be fairly accurate with your measurements. 1.7 is another size, which irritatingly has two pin diameters.
One of the supplies that comes with a set of plugs can be useful there, though you need to make sure you plug the plug in the right way round and they don't tend to be the best quality.

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2021, 08:19:13 am »
I have to say, £16 for a proprietary supply seemed excellent value compared to many.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2021, 08:33:40 am »
Yes, plus  a 'cheaper' no name replacement will not last for 2.5 years of continuous use (as implied by the OP)

Upgrade would not be much more expensive. Moving away from wall wart = better cooling and more space for electrickery,

You also get a specification:

Mean Time Between Failure >200 kHrs MIL-HDBK-217F at 25 °C GB

Only disadvantage is trailing leads.

Link 15 Volt 3.5 Amps 2.5 mm DC socket. Similar 2.1 PSU available from same supplier CPC.

https://cpc.farnell.com/xp-power/vec50us15/adaptor-ac-dc-15v-3-33a/dp/PW04561?st=Power%20supply

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2021, 12:04:27 pm »

velosam

« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2021, 01:43:37 pm »
The Roberts adaptors are not branded, and they don't even say Roberts. But you are right it it maybe worth just paying the £24 for one, adding vat and postage.

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2021, 02:42:38 pm »
If you add a few batteries to bump the CPC order over £17:50 it's post free.

velosam

« Reply #15 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:45:35 pm »
I think the problem with that is I need an L shaped connector as the power feed is on the bottom of the radio.

« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:49:13 pm »
Are there L shaped adapters available?

I wouldn't know where to start looking for such a thing but there are so many curious pingfuckits that I would be more surprised if such an adapter wasn't available.

velosam

« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2021, 04:10:06 pm »
Maybe, but I just make get it from Roberts. I just dont want to keep spending £23 all the time if they are cheap rubbish adaptors.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #18 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:33:47 pm »
I have to say my experience with Roberts quality has been disappointing in the extreme.  This includes knobs going sticky  :sick: after a few years, just generally crap functionality, then dying completely, to crap chargers that destroy the batteries.  I do have one FM radio that still sort of functions, but as we have no FM signal here unless I use a directional antenna on the roof, its as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot.  Both of ours required a battery change to be done in lightning fast time, before it totally loses its station memory, and they put little tabs in the way so you can't get the batteries out quickly.  Portable provision in this house is now courtesy of Sony.
Wombat

velosam

« Reply #19 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:31:40 pm »
I think I may just sell mine. I bought it for my son and he doesn't come here anymore

« Reply #20 on: 20 November, 2021, 07:06:18 pm »
I have to say my experience with Roberts quality has been disappointing in the extreme.  This includes knobs going sticky  :sick: after a few years, just generally crap functionality, then dying completely, to crap chargers that destroy the batteries.  I do have one FM radio that still sort of functions, but as we have no FM signal here unless I use a directional antenna on the roof, its as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot.  Both of ours required a battery change to be done in lightning fast time, before it totally loses its station memory, and they put little tabs in the way so you can't get the batteries out quickly.  Portable provision in this house is now courtesy of Sony.

We have a Sony that’s been reliable, with a minor drawback of having to use rechargeable batteries. Neither Roberts nor Pure have proven reliable nor long-lived.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #21 on: 21 November, 2021, 12:23:12 pm »
Our living room Sony was bought on YACF recommendation, possibly yours!  Its doing fine, on Eneloop Pro batteries.
Wombat

velosam

« Reply #22 on: 22 November, 2021, 11:26:18 am »
Well a good start to the day, they have offered to send out a replacement. Once that gets here, I will sell the radio