Author Topic: Black Friday - who's buying?  (Read 6137 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Black Friday - who's buying?
« on: 22 November, 2021, 12:53:46 pm »
My experience of Black Friday is that most retailers try to sell last years model at a slightly marked up price, but shout about how much cheaper it is than this years model. There are some bargains though, if your careful.

With that in mind, I’ve been putting off buying a couple of things to see if anyone is offering real bargains, and I’ve got one or two items I want fro Christmas presents that likewise _might_ be cheaper. Other than that, I shall be taking precautions to try and avoid getting suckered into ‘spending to save’ as has been known to happen in the past :facepalm:

Anyone else of any purchasing plans?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Black Friday - who's buying?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:01:17 pm »
No.  We don't have Thanksgiving here, and Black Friday is a horrible USanian import that spun off from it.  The analysis I've seen in previous years is that the "bargains" are DFS sale-like in their disingenousness.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:09:44 pm »
There's a few things I'm saving up for and keeping an eye open for. If they're actually cheap and I've got money in the pot then I'll buy. But I know what they are, rather than starting from a list of things "on sale" and convincing myself I want them. So far, the stuff shops are trying to shift isn't stuff I want.

Also, after the last couple of years I'm not really expecting a lot of spare stock and spare margin for a discount. Black Friday over here I tend to see as a collective advertising slogan that breaks up the Christmas theme that was started in August. I wouldn't really expect any actual bargains until after Christmas.

« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:21:49 pm »
I'm looking to buy a new laptop for Mrs Pcolbeck for Christmas. Want a current model though. Dell and Samsung are offering a bit off on their websites for Black Friday so I might buy one this week.
Other than that unless I see some amazing offer nothing planned.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:28:56 pm »
Never have done any and don't intend to.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:34:24 pm »
Isn't it just an opportunity to clear old stock before Christmas?

Nothing, but then we should all buy less stuff. I mean, it's not like our children are facing a deadly climate future or anything.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:52:36 pm »
Needed new set of Oakleys after mine ended up getting ploughed into a beet field (don't ask!). I happened to find a set of Radar EV glasses with two sets of lenses on a very good deal. But otherwise will be ignoring the Black Friday madness.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:55:42 pm »
In a normal year I would tell Black Friday where to go and likewise any BRITISH retailer mentioning it.  However, gear selection on my Logitech steering wheel has become more miss than hit these days so I may be tempted if Scan or Overclockers or similar vendors of Babbage-Stuffs are offering decent discounts.  OTOH I also had to fork out big zlotys to get my motor-car fit for another year of mostly being parked.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:59:18 pm »
Unless I need something I generally don't buy anyway so Black Friday makes little or no difference to me.

There was a report at the end of last week saying that tech suppliers were warning of Black Friday shortages because of the ongoing supply chain issues.  Not quoting verbatim but the gist was that stock ordered specifically to dump, er sell in Black Friday sales hadn't arrived yet.  Ah, so not old stock then.

That sounds less like a sale and more like a calculated clearout on the part of manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers to me.  And, what's with all the pre sale specials?  Sheer consumerism being hyped to the skies.

The best way to make a saving is not to spend it in my book.  Bah, f**king humbug!!!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 22 November, 2021, 02:52:12 pm »
I tend to file Black Friday with Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #10 on: 22 November, 2021, 03:03:05 pm »
Well, I have bought Black Friday pants this year. They are cheaper than usual and I need them so makes sense to buy them now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 22 November, 2021, 03:04:21 pm »
I have just bought a pair of jeans this morning but that was through semi-necessity (see Grumble thread a few days ago). I did get them half price but I wouldn't have bought them at full price (and I got them were in an actual local shop).

Anyway, there's been so much bumf about it in my inbox recently I thought it was actually this Friday just gone.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 22 November, 2021, 04:10:15 pm »
Received an email today from my tea/coffee merchant offering 20% off for BF, and regular customers could claim it all this week, so I called in this afternoon. They only had a few grams under 250 of the tea I wanted, so only charged me for 125gm. Seems the assistant made a mistake and also only charged for 125 instead of 250gm for the coffee too. All with a further 20% off.

Thinking of returning tomorrow and asking for the same mistake  :D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13 on: 22 November, 2021, 04:42:06 pm »
I was tempted by a pair of safety boots for £19.99 in Screwfix about an hour ago . . .  I may go back tomorrow wearing thicker socks to try them on.

« Reply #14 on: 22 November, 2021, 05:10:42 pm »
I've made a short list of a few things that I need want and will be buying anyway. I'll wait until the Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Whaterver the fuck else Wednseday sales to see if I can pick any of the items up cheaper than they currently are. If I can, all is good. If not, so be it. I certainly won't be buying anything I wouldn't have bought anyway....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #15 on: 22 November, 2021, 05:28:08 pm »
Not planning any purchases as :
  • I am not a particularly odd size
  • I don’t want the unsellable design / colour
  • I don’t want last year’s tech that won’t get updates after next summer
  • My electricity bill is about to double when the current fixed rate ends so buying stuff I really don’t need is not top of my agenda this year
  • What I do buy for Xmas will be an attempt to buy local / buy small rather than the big multinationals who shout about Black FriDAY events for at least a MONTH at this time of year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 22 November, 2021, 05:58:15 pm »
No, because Black Friday isn't about buying stuff, it's about being nice to your webmonkey friends who are up to their necks in stupid Marketing-induced deadlines.

« Reply #17 on: 22 November, 2021, 06:11:48 pm »
I wasted 5 hours today prepping for an urgent customer upgrade for anticipated Black Friday traffic, only to be told they’d decided not to proceed as they couldn’t risk any disruption.   ::-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 22 November, 2021, 06:15:24 pm »
QED

« Reply #19 on: 22 November, 2021, 06:44:23 pm »
I'm probably similar to most here.
There's a list of things I will buy at some point (e.g. if a pair of shoes are getting towards end of life), or that I'd quite like but can't justify to myself at full price. If they happen to be on offer then I'll buy them a bit earlier than I actually need to, but I don't go out looking for stuff to spend money on that I wouldn't be otherwise buying.
Many years ago someone mentioned to me the idea of waiting 7 days after deciding to make a purchase before going ahead, to see if you still really wanted/needed it or if you were just caught up in the consumerism.

« Reply #20 on: 22 November, 2021, 07:32:22 pm »
Me, but only because the bloody microwave packed up for good this evening - the “Start” button no longer responds to even the hardest of pushes. I don’t care if what I get is clearance stock as long as it fits and my wife approves of its appearance.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #21 on: 22 November, 2021, 09:23:16 pm »
I would check the plug fuse first if you haven't already.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 22 November, 2021, 09:35:14 pm »
At some point this week, you'll hear the urban legend about it being so named because it was the day slave traders had a clearout, cue moral outrage from the kind of people who believe Elvis is living on the dark side of the moon.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23 on: 22 November, 2021, 10:14:13 pm »
At some point this week, you'll hear the urban legend about it being so named because it was the day slave traders had a clearout.
I didn’t know that. It’s disgusting that they still use that title for the sale day. I’m outraged.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #24 on: 23 November, 2021, 07:35:59 am »
So far, I've bought a sleeping bag and an electric screwdriver in the "Black Friday Week" sales. :demon: In my defence, I'd wanted both for ages, and both were genuine discounts on the normal prices.