Author Topic: Black Friday - who's buying?  (Read 6221 times)

Re: Black Friday - who's buying?
« Reply #50 on: 24 November, 2021, 11:54:23 pm »
Last summer we went to the North Sea and my daughter is addicted to swimmimgz.  I got a wetsuit on bf deal for about £50 which is what I would like to invest in not freezing in the North Sea.  I also got a couple ba,boo base layers for £20 because my wool ones have holes in them.  I’m all tapped out now.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #51 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:37:55 am »
Unexpected deal.  I bought a 1Tb portable HD, but turned out to be 2Tb when I started using it. 1Tb barcode sticker, on a 2Tb box.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #52 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:44:13 am »
Unexpected deal.  I bought a 1Tb portable HD, but turned out to be 2Tb when I started using it. 1Tb barcode sticker, on a 2Tb box.

Similar luck - bought a codless random orbital sander that was "bare" (i.e. no battery or charger as it's a shared battery platform) for about £40 - when it turned it had a charger and battery, and even better it was a big capacity battery - list on the extras is about £90.  Result.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:29:45 am »
https://twitter.com/BromptonBicycle/status/1463566161665314817

I know it's still marketing (I'm convinced the only reason the Brompton Hire scheme exists is to persuade people they want a Brompton by allowing them find out how useful they are), but it's the kind of marketing I can get on board with.
Plus you have to download the app and it seems "tag us in your BLACK-RIDE-DAY adventures and be part of the movement!" So they've actually got their hooks in you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #54 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:59:16 am »

Similar luck - bought a codless random orbital sander that was "bare" (i.e. no battery or charger as it's a shared battery platform) for about £40 - when it turned it had a charger and battery, and even better it was a big capacity battery - list on the extras is about £90.  Result.

That's not fishy at all.

« Reply #55 on: 25 November, 2021, 09:45:57 am »
I've ordered a couple of things I wouldn't have bought if they were full price but a combination of feeling sorry for myself; a profit-share bonus in my pay; and a genuine 50-75% off standard retail (they're still full price elseweb) has 'exciting post' headed my way.

« Reply #56 on: 25 November, 2021, 10:28:07 am »
I was prompted by somebody to check the prices of intel 660p nvme drives at the moment.  I got a 1tb version for less than we paid for a Samsung 500gb sata ssd three or so years back.

It's a useful upgrade of both speed and storage for mllePB's pc and I'll no doubt get around to tinkering over the cold and drab winter months.   When she bought the pc it could take nvme but the price of those new drives was extortionate.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 25 November, 2021, 11:10:27 am »
Happy 'Black Friday Eve' everyone  >:(

« Reply #58 on: 25 November, 2021, 04:42:06 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #59 on: 25 November, 2021, 06:33:35 pm »
I succumbed to temptation and bought a new PC steering wheel, but a Thrustmaster* rather than a Logitech on account of the latter having too few buttons chiz.

* Fnarr and, moreover, fnarr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #60 on: 26 November, 2021, 08:16:43 am »
https://twitter.com/BromptonBicycle/status/1463566161665314817

I know it's still marketing (I'm convinced the only reason the Brompton Hire scheme exists is to persuade people they want a Brompton by allowing them find out how useful they are), but it's the kind of marketing I can get on board with.

I had no idea this actually existed outside London! :facepalm: Turns out they go as far north as Elgin...

« Reply #61 on: 26 November, 2021, 08:17:33 am »
I quite like this from Galibier:

« Reply #62 on: 26 November, 2021, 08:37:23 am »
So when is it White Friday then?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #63 on: 26 November, 2021, 09:14:44 am »
My Sinister Agents tell me misc Railcards are available at 50% off. Through The Trainline I think.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #64 on: 26 November, 2021, 09:22:06 am »
So when is it White Friday
#allfridaysmatter
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #65 on: 26 November, 2021, 09:32:29 am »
My Sinister Agents tell me misc Railcards are available at 50% off. Through The Trainline I think.
Bloody hell. I bought one full price on Tuesday.

« Reply #66 on: 26 November, 2021, 09:44:47 am »
I've ordered a dash cam and CCTV. Everyone is getting CCTV round here as there is a spate of thefts of Amazon packages that have been left on doorsteps...

Black Friday is American, Singles Day 11/11 is Chinese, the English (?) version was Boxing day sales, only no one really enjoyed them did they.

They tried to make Cyber Monday (the Monday after the Black Friday a thing) except Black Friday just went cyber.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #67 on: 26 November, 2021, 10:32:03 am »
About a week ago I got grumpy and added a rule to the mailserver:

Black Friday - Room 101 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Black Friday can get in the sea.

« Reply #68 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:17:39 am »
Hadn't planned to, but:

We usually go out for Breakfast on a Friday as it's my wife's day off work.

Ordered and went our table, wife looks at receipt and says we've been under charged.
I think she's got the order wrong and asked for small breakfast instead of regular.
Go back to the counter to see if we can change the order, to be told "half price today, it's Black Friday"

I'm happy with that - and it was a nice breakfast.

« Reply #69 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:20:01 am »
Our local brewery, where I get my weekly supplies, is promising some sort of Black Friday offer.
I'm going away this weekend, where we will be drinking wine rather than beer, so I wasn't going to bother this week, but if the offer includes bottles and is worth it, I shall stock up.
If not, I won't.
The offer ended up being 'order today, collect next week', so two cases of bottles for Christmas and a bag-in-box for next weekend have been ordered--20% off seemed too good to miss. And I don't have to hare into town to collect them today.
(All other similar emails are being deleted without being read, though)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #70 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:32:14 am »
I bought some cat food. It was needed and it was a genuine discount.

« Reply #71 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:41:42 am »
Fifty quids worth of the usual consumables from Halfords, nothing was discounted below what I normally pay, though I did get a tenner voucher for the next order.

« Reply #72 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:57:58 am »
I've ordered a dash cam and CCTV. Everyone is getting CCTV round here as there is a spate of thefts of Amazon packages that have been left on doorsteps...
Some of the courier company delivery drivers aren't allowed to use common sense and put parcels out of sight. I'm looking at you DPD!

ian

« Reply #73 on: 26 November, 2021, 12:06:05 pm »
Yes, despite the sign on our door saying put them in the box around the back of the porch, the majority of couriers leave them on our doorstep (fortunately not easily observable from the street). There's a spate of vans driving around harvesting packages left on front doorsteps.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #74 on: 26 November, 2021, 12:36:31 pm »
I was tempted by a pair of safety boots for £19.99 in Screwfix about an hour ago . . .  I may go back tomorrow wearing thicker socks to try them on.

Went back with my thick socks but they had sold the pair in the shop - order placed for collection tomorrow (Mrs robgul is poised to throw out my old work boots if the new ones are OK)