Author Topic: Black Friday - who's buying?  (Read 6206 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Black Friday - who's buying?
« Reply #75 on: 26 November, 2021, 12:39:15 pm »
My Sinister Agents tell me misc Railcards are available at 50% off. Through The Trainline I think.
Bloody hell. I bought one full price on Tuesday.

Should have gone to TESCO - Railcards are only £10 worth of Clubcard points for a 1 year card  (I bought some fuel there today with a TESCO credit card - probably got enough points for one based on the price per litre  :( )

« Reply #76 on: 26 November, 2021, 12:41:07 pm »
Gah. We save our Tesco points for Tunnel Crossings so have millions of the beggars after not escaping this Sceptr'd Isle for a couple of years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 26 November, 2021, 12:44:50 pm »
My Sinister Agents tell me misc Railcards are available at 50% off. Through The Trainline I think.

*Checks to see if they've invented a card for Billy-No-Mates middle-aged people who don't live in That London*

Nope.  Not that I was planning on using a train any time soon...

« Reply #78 on: 26 November, 2021, 01:14:26 pm »
It wasn't a card for me, it was for a Young Person.

« Reply #79 on: 26 November, 2021, 02:12:10 pm »

*Checks to see if they've invented a card for Billy-No-Mates middle-aged people who don't live in That London*

Nope.  Not that I was planning on using a train any time soon...

Same here.  How come people who live in London & South East are entitled to a Network Railcard giving 1/3rd discount & the rest of the country isn't ?  >:(

And we can't even get to London & South East for the next 2-3 months as the West Coast Main Line seems to be unavailable at weekends.....   I was actually checking _flights_ to London the other day  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #80 on: 26 November, 2021, 03:02:14 pm »
Ordered a Samsung laptop for Mrs P Colbeck for Christmas, £200 off list.
Ordered more wild bird food (30kg) from for the feeders from our usual supplier who were offering 15% off today only. These guys if anyone is interested:

https://www.reallywildbirdfood.co.uk/

Good bird food and as much as possible grown by them.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #81 on: 26 November, 2021, 03:38:07 pm »

Tip: if travelling in London then get the Railcard endorsed (at a London ticket office) to get the 1/3 off on tube fares etc on an Oyster card - yeah, I know Oyster is old hat and any card works . . .  but only Oyster works for the discount.

« Reply #82 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:02:23 pm »

Same here.  How come people who live in London & South East are entitled to a Network Railcard giving 1/3rd discount & the rest of the country isn't ?  >:(

Nothing stopping you buying one wherever you live. ;D

There are a few other little advertised regional ones. Devon and Cornwall and Scotland. Separately.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:04:50 pm »
There are a few other little advertised regional ones. Devon and Cornwall and Scotland. Separately.

Cor: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/regional-railcards.aspx

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #84 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:38:54 pm »
Bought the chimney sheep I was going to buy earlier in the week for the free tree planting.  :smug:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #85 on: 26 November, 2021, 05:38:32 pm »
40% off PictureHouse membership.  We were going to buy at the cinema on Tuesday, the guy suggested waiting until today.

Other than that, does lunch at a local cafe count?

« Reply #86 on: 26 November, 2021, 05:44:14 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #87 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:33:30 pm »
I bought tram tickets, museum entrance, lunch. I didn't get a discount on any of it!

According to one survey, one third of UKers were planning to buy something on Black Friday. https://www.finder.com/uk/black-friday-statistics They present this as 'only' but it sounds big to me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #88 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:38:26 pm »
I've ordered a dash cam and CCTV. Everyone is getting CCTV round here as there is a spate of thefts of Amazon packages that have been left on doorsteps...
Sounds like Amazon creating a problem then selling you something to "solve" it instead of solving it themselves!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #89 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:40:50 pm »
And apparently Black Friday (and online sales generally) are part of the reason for shortages on shop shelves:
The increase in online shopping also reshapes urban delivery patterns – and bear in mind that the dominance of e-commerce means that many products will still be on their way for days after the sale. Rather than a large amount of products being sent to one store, shipments become smaller and more fragmented. Single items have to be dropped off at individual houses. This means that more drivers are needed to deliver the same amount of products to our doorsteps. Warehousing and packaging also becomes more complex.

One factor contributing to the lack of lorry drivers is that some qualified HGV drivers decided to switch to driving local delivery vans instead. Not only is demand for delivery drivers high, working hours can be more appealing. Consumers need to realise that all the parcels they order and the rows of empty supermarket shelves are all part of the same system.
https://theconversation.com/dark-side-of-black-friday-the-major-drawbacks-with-this-shopping-bonanza-171713

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #90 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:58:08 pm »
I yielded, ordered some Waterproof Cold Weather Mid Length Socks from Black's , currently in the tender care of Hermes ! and 1L of Bombay Sapphiire gin from Sains , £20 . Roll on cyber Monday  ... I might go mad again.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #91 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:07:09 pm »
I ordered Sprogs' Christmas present today.  Same as one I got a couple of weeks ago but, Black Friday, £30.00 less than I had to pay for mine.  I admit it is a Bargain for what it is and does.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #92 on: 29 November, 2021, 01:36:36 pm »
The Young Person required the Railcard for a trip to their out-laws. The trains were Arwen-ed off both directions and they had to get the bus.  :facepalm:

[Tenuous claim to fame - my son attended the same Ceilidh as Jack Hughman's sisters at the weekend.]

« Reply #93 on: 03 December, 2021, 04:18:24 pm »
An oscillating multi tool. Have been keeping an eye on them for a while and there are some good deals at the moment.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.