Author Topic: .Doc file creation and editing on android tablet  (Read 1287 times)

.Doc file creation and editing on android tablet
« on: 23 November, 2021, 06:28:36 pm »
Looking for a simple to use editor for documents that I can share with MS Office and Libre Office users.

Does anybody have any recommendations please?

Re: .Doc file creation and editing on android tablet
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2021, 06:51:41 pm »
Do you need to be able to open and edit Word and Libre office documents, or is your main need to be able to write documents that you can share with people?

The document editor in google docs is reasonable for very simple documents.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2021, 08:47:20 pm »
Google Docs and "save as" Word document (.docx)

« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2021, 01:21:50 pm »
I've been using Docs To Go for as long as I've been using Android, possibly longer, and still favour it.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2021, 01:57:34 pm »
Why not use the Microsoft Office app?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2021, 06:05:52 pm »
If the Android one has gone the same way as the iOS version then Microsith Office now requires a subscription.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:27:26 pm »
Google Docs looks like it might just fit the bill but why can't it save a document as a .doc instead of a .docx?  It can do .odt and a few other formats so this seems a bit weird to me.

Worst case scenario is that I produce the document on my tablet then save and access from my pc where I will download and save as a .doc .  The .doc is accessible to all of those needing to see the document whereas they don't all have access to .docx at the moment.

I'll test it out over the coming days.

Thanks folks.

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:48:03 pm »
Because .docx and .odt are based on XML (usually in a ZIP file), and .doc is a proprietary binary format? Quite what that means in terms of how and why Google Docs might go about saving files, not sure, but XML ought to be easier, especially if you don't own the proprietary format.

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2021, 08:14:08 pm »
If they just need to be able to read docx there is the old and free word viewer that came out around 2007 possibly earlier . Checked and it’s no longer available from Microsoft but I may still have it lurking on my PC.

« Reply #9 on: 30 November, 2021, 11:06:05 am »
Google Docs looks like it might just fit the bill but why can't it save a document as a .doc instead of a .docx?  It can do .odt and a few other formats so this seems a bit weird to me.

Worst case scenario is that I produce the document on my tablet then save and access from my pc where I will download and save as a .doc .  The .doc is accessible to all of those needing to see the document whereas they don't all have access to .docx at the moment.

I'll test it out over the coming days.

Thanks folks.

Saving as .doc is pointless. It is a proprietary binary format.

If you need transportability, you'd save as .rtf, which is supported by pretty much everything and preserves all the format information.

You can also share documents directly from google docs. Shares can give viewing or viewing and editing rights.
<i>Marmite slave</i>