Author Topic: Emergency Mobile  (Read 666 times)

Emergency Mobile
« on: 24 November, 2021, 11:19:49 am »
I like my canoeing and have been thinking about where my phone is stored which is usually inside several of dry bags

I recently got sent a waterproof phone case from the coastguard as we're giving them away. This was under me thinking its probably worth having a phone on or near person incase of problems and separation from canoe, however the phone doesn't fit and it advises againt fully trusting waterproof of case

I often turn my mobile off when out so get peace and yes I know I can ignore it but find it easier to ignore a  off phone so considering getting an old PAYG robust mobile for emergency use

However I thinking read that some PAYG suppliers now charge a sorta line rental charge which comes off your credit. Any advice?

Re: Emergency Mobile
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2021, 11:30:01 am »
I always take my mobile when kayaking. Inside waterproof case, inside PFD pocket.

A half-decent case works just fine. They are cheap from ebay, I'm using an MPOW case.

Do rinse the case out now and then. Moisture gets in the seals and then salt crystals form when it dries out, which stops it from sealing.

Phone is useless stored in a drybag.

I also use the RYAsaftrx app, which is very decent.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2021, 11:48:48 am »
I don't go on the water, but do sweat a lot cycling, and keep a phone in my jersey pocket. I use an Overboard "case".

https://www.over-board.co.uk/products/waterproof-large-phone-cases
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2021, 12:41:27 pm »
I used to use an ortlieb waterproof phone case in a pannier or barbag when cycling.   Never had any 8ssues with the case.

I would have the phone on but in silent mode.  When needing a phone in an emergency the last thing you need is to try and get it turned on first.   Just my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2021, 12:56:05 pm »
Thanks everyone, I probably didn't make it clear but I'm looking to get an PAYG smaller mobile to have on me purely for emergency use  so can tuck my contract one away somewhere safe.

« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2021, 02:45:56 pm »
That was clear to me. Just because an illustartion shows an iPhine doesn't mean other won't fit  ;)  but there are shedloads of cheap Android "smart" phones around that you can stick a PAYG SIM in.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2021, 03:24:10 pm »
However I thinking read that some PAYG suppliers now charge a sorta line rental charge which comes off your credit. Any advice?
There are still a few proper PAYG tariffs, though they don't make it very obvious.
eg Giffgaff. You don't need to buy any bundles (which expire after a month), can just use the PAYG tarrif. Or Vodafone PAYG 1.
Note you do have to use the account occasionally, to keep it active. Seems it is one call/text every 6 months.

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2021, 05:01:56 pm »
I am on PAYG with O2 and there are no charges other than for using it. I just checked: I am on the Classic Pay As You Go tariff where the charges are 3p a minute, 2p a text, 1p a MB of 2G/3G/4G data.

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2021, 06:58:22 pm »
Thanks RR.

« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:12:11 pm »
I have a Tesco PAYG for audax.  Original credit still working 3 years on. As above use at least once every 6 months and it stays active.

« Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2021, 09:05:03 pm »
I am on PAYG with O2 and there are no charges other than for using it. I just checked: I am on the Classic Pay As You Go tariff where the charges are 3p a minute, 2p a text, 1p a MB of 2G/3G/4G data.

You have to top up at least £10 every 6 months, which is not quite true payg.

Classic Pay As You Go

With Classic Pay As You Go, you pay for what you use, as you go. The minimum top up requirement is £10.

If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number.

Classic Pay As You Go charges

Calls are 3p a minute.
        Texts are 2p.
        Data is 1p a MB.
        Calls to customer service are free of charge
        Calls to Voicemail are 3p a call.

Three Mobile used to have the same price but had a massive price hike, calls and texts are now 10p, not sure about data.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2021, 11:46:54 pm »
Ive gone more than 6 months without even putting my payg phone on the network without o2 kicking me off, and about 5 years between the most recent top up and the one before it, although it is registered to the same Web account as my contract phone and they ask me about it everytime the phone up to try and sell me a payment plan for something shiny. So it's possibly marked for not being disconnected.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:32:27 am »
You have to top up at least £10 every 6 months, which is not quite true payg.

Thanks, hubner, I was not aware of that, having only topped up once in the last 21 months. I have now topped up £10.

« Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:08:10 pm »
Giffgaff threw me off for not making calls.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:32:19 pm »
Giffgaff threw me off for not making calls.
You only have to make a call, send a text or use a smidgeon of data every 3 months for giffgaff to keep you on.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...