Author Topic: Supernova E3 rear dynamo rear light  (Read 1306 times)

Supernova E3 rear dynamo rear light
« on: 27 November, 2021, 03:50:36 pm »
My commute has now changed and I am on unlit roads for most of the ride. It is roughly an hour each way.   I currently have a Supernova front light and SON dynamo.  I am using 2 rechargeable rear lights.  The past couple of weeks on a Friday since the light got rubbish I have found one of them running out of charge which has started me considering a rear dynamo light.  Don't have a rear rack and like the look of the Supernova rear light with the seat post attachment.

Was wondering what people thought of it and what is the process for adding it to my current front light?

Would still run the rechargeable lights but just would like the dependability and would probably help out with longer audaxes in the next year.

Any advice welcome

Thanks.

Re: Supernova E3 rear dynamo rear light
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2021, 04:58:48 pm »
I used to have the Supernova rear (seatpost-mounted) light and found not to be bright enough
(for my liking). It has no visibility from the side, so its use is not up to the standard I would have
required for long term use.

If you have a mudguard, you could attach a B&M Seculite (rear light).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Busch-Müller-Secula-331ASK-Light/dp/B00B4GNR6S/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B076HJL51W&psc=1

« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2021, 04:59:22 pm »
I have the Supernova rear light. My bike came with only the front light and I fitted the rear myself. The front light has two wires connected to it, one to the dynamo and the other, a short stub, is for the rear. Fitting is easy - attach the rear light to the bike, either the rack or seat post depending on the model of light you buy. Then run the cable to the front light - I ran the cable alongside the rear brake hose to the headstock and connected it the free cable. Red to red, black to black. I crimped the ends together but solder is probably better if you can do it. The switch on the front light also operates the rear, it has no separate switch.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2021, 05:15:49 pm »
I'd be looking for something with a capacitor to allow a standing still light and also something with a BS reflector, just to be legal, if there wasn't one already on the bike.

« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2021, 05:29:49 pm »
I had one some years ago, soon after they came out, it was small and bright, I was happy to have it but wouldn't want it to be the only rear light, fine paired with a battery flasher.  I had mine mounted on a Carradice Bagman and some commented when group riding that it was too bright there, though this was the days before everyone got retina burning USB lights.
You're limited in choice of rear lights with a Supernova front, unless it's changed since, the headlight converts AC to DC so the rear needs to accept that, I think the SON light is compatible, but most others are not. 

« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2021, 05:33:51 pm »
I'd be looking for something with a capacitor
The Supernova rear standlight runs off the capacitor in the front, they both last as long as most others.

« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2021, 07:49:59 pm »
If you get rear AAA lights like the Cateye Omni 3 or 5 they will see you through to early February without needing to replace or recharge the batteries.

« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2021, 12:52:01 am »
With a Supernova front light, you are pretty much tied to the Supernova back light, unless you want to rig up a normal rear dynamo light such as a B+M Secula direct to the hub, with a switch, and take a chance on any effect on the front light brightness.
The Supernova rear is basically 3 bare LEDs in an aluminium block, with all the electronics in the front light. It's bright on axis, but not too good off axis, and I'd sooner use one with another light that had a wider light spread.

« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:10:43 am »
Thanks all.  Might have a look at the Cateye option.

Cheers.

« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2021, 06:31:49 am »
I don't know if they've upgraded them but as a neutral observer I always thought the Supernovas were a bit pointless. Incredibly expensive and very little light output.

« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:11:04 am »
I don't know if they've upgraded them but as a neutral observer I always thought the Supernovas were a bit pointless. Incredibly expensive and very little light output.
That's why I got rid of mine and replaced it with a Schmidt Edulux.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2021, 11:15:54 am »
If you decide against the Supernova, and if you can make it work with the Supernova front, I'd second De Sisti's recommendation of the B&M Secula. Small but bright and with built-in reflector, comes in mudguard and seat-stay fitting varieties.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:29:34 pm »
I made a B&M light work with a Supernova. Both lights are wired in parallel across the generator and are always ON. I go in from hub and out to the rear inside the Supernova for a neat install.  Involved soldering iron skillz tho'