Author Topic: Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port  (Read 1901 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
« on: 22 December, 2021, 01:52:30 pm »
I was randomly looking somewhere up a couple of months ago, and ended up putting a Google Streetview pin in the western part of the French Pyrenees, not far from Saint-Jean-Pied-a-Port (45 minutes from Biarritz). The roads were stunning - just like the best roads in Wales except the hills were bigger and they went on for longer.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0512309,-1.2117123,3a,75y,159.45h,75.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZuYb2AOawMxBiy9LeOcxZA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 is a taster.  Am thinking of heading down there when the weather is nicer and the Covid is calmer and just going for day rides as long as the legs and the weather will allow.  Any thoughts?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2021, 02:09:00 pm »
It's a lovely place, with some good routes.  I've been there a couple of times.  From what I can remember, some possibilities would be:

- Heading West over the Col d'Iseguy on the D949, some fantastic views and there used to be a cafe at the top which may still be open
- Down the D949 then a minor road that follows the river, to Espelette.  Picturesque old town and a centre of chilli production - they hang them off the sides of the houses to dry out.
- Up into the mountains on the D18 and the D417, then maybe back on the D301
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2021, 02:20:25 pm »
I've only ridden there once, but had a great day in that area (or just to the west of there)

I took the coast road from Biarritz over the border then headed into the Pyrenees from the Spanish side. I got lucky as I discovered I was on the route of the Vuelta the day they came through so stopped and watched then descended before they opened the road to traffic.

Lovely countryside and very quiet roads in the Pyrenees bit.

Here is the route I took - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15773413

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2021, 03:50:48 pm »
It's a lovely place, with some good routes.  I've been there a couple of times.  From what I can remember, some possibilities would be:

- Heading West over the Col d'Iseguy on the D949, some fantastic views and there used to be a cafe at the top which may still be open
- Down the D949 then a minor road that follows the river, to Espelette.  Picturesque old town and a centre of chilli production - they hang them off the sides of the houses to dry out.
- Up into the mountains on the D18 and the D417, then maybe back on the D301

That first suggestion looks cool (except the chilis, which I hope will be sufficiently hot!).  The second one looks similar to this sketch of a plan:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38203316

And then, for a big day out.  I had a day like this for my 50th birthday trip in the Alps a few years back, and still have the Roberts race bike with the much needed triple chain ring and 28.5" bottom gear for those ultra-steep sections.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38219195

I like the idea of border crossings, again assuming Covid has calmed down and I don't find myself locked up in quarantine in a Spanish village.

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2021, 05:22:39 pm »
It is fantastic - watch out for the one the pros call Col-de-Bugger-Me

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2021, 05:24:26 pm »
Useless trivia - my sister did a french exchange with someone from there when she was a teenager.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2022, 03:46:47 pm »
Well, I've stopped thinking about it and booked it, taking advantage of the extra bank holiday in June to have a week down there, and a couple of days either side to get down and back.  Have a self-catering place that cost less than the Eurotunnel transit (and probably the fuel), so can come and go as I please and if it rains in the morning can go out in the afternoon.  Will probably take both Roberts bikes down so if I do have  major mechanical, I will have a spare.

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2022, 04:12:57 pm »
I stayed there a few years ago and agree with the above - lots of good, quiet cycling routes in the area.

It's a major stop of the Camino de Santiago and as such (a) there are lots of decent cheap places to eat and (b) it can be hard to find a place to stay. As you've booked ahead (b) is not an issue. Lots of visitors of many nationalities who are keen to chat.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2022, 10:18:42 pm »
It is fantastic - watch out for the one the pros call Col-de-Bugger-Me

I did it.  Probably the slowest I have ridden up a hill since Bwlch-y-Groes 300km into the Cambrian 4C.  The 4 consecutive km above 10% in full sunshine and no wind were fairly stupendous.  The closed cafe at the top somewhat less so.  But there was also the 10km to the summit of Errozate from south of Ecumberry, which averaged 9.6% and the Col de la Hourcette with pretty much the same profile, and then the D428 Route Napoleon straight south out of St Jean Pied de Port, where the only relief is the almost static trekkers on the Camino Frances.

Rode 6 days out of 7, with 4 100km+ days and 2 100mile+ days, and on the day off drove up to Col de la Pierre St Martin and hiked, scrambled and properly mountaineered to the top of Pic d'Anie (2504m).

Twice saw Pine Martens and on the first day sat and watched Golden Eagles circling above my head.  I may well go back again next year - probably the most beautiful roads I have ever cycled on.  And I only rode 3 of the 4 possible ways up to the Col d'Iraty / Col Bagargi - it has different names from different sides - and Port Larrau was closed (I presume for roadworks) - so there are a couple of fantastic France/Spain routes untouched.  And the Grand Pression Blonde Eguzki is perfect after a hard and hot day's ride.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2022, 06:39:12 pm »
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is the traditional entry point into Spain for the Camino do Santiago on the French route