Author Topic: Tunnel vision  (Read 1464 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Tunnel vision
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2021, 10:37:15 pm »
That picture almost fits the scene of Dicken's "The Signalman"

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2021, 11:04:27 pm »
That picture almost fits the scene of Dicken's "The Signalman"

excellent (short) film  :thumbsup: now the Severn Valley Railway (Foley Park tunnel was BR at the time) and was often A Christmas Ghost Story on the Beeb

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+signalman&docid=607995467542112170&mid=B798B35DAA137CB5967FB798B35DAA137CB5967F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2021, 11:13:16 pm »
I've read it a good few times, cos as a story I rather like it (As can probably be guessed)

I bought the M R James ghost stories for Christmas box set because despite not being an M R James this was on it.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2022, 09:06:46 pm »
Excellent  :thumbsup:

Cycle.travel shows the alternative, preferred route as 16.4 km & 390mtr climbing. 
The direct (over the top) route if you have the bike, the legs, the weather and the brakes is about 5.5km & 330mtrs.
The direct, direct route (ignoring topology - so what the tunnel must deliver) is 60mtrs in the 3.142km.

A hell of an improvement for the locals that could make use for it and no doubt an enormous tourist magnet.

Queensbury tunnel next please.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2022, 12:00:48 pm »
Lots of potential in that.

Earlier this year, the Government announced that it would halt the destruction of former railway lines and bridges in the hope that they can be repurposed to get more people walking and cycling.
Despite announcing this, Highways England is still awarding contracts for demolishing or in-filling old bridges and tunnels:
National Highways awarded 14 contracts in five weeks as preparatory works gather pace to infill or demolish dozens of Victorian bridges.

Contracts are being let despite ministers pausing the infilling programme in July.

National Highways says that it has indeed paused work as instructed – on site, that is, but not it seems in the planning. It is still pressing ahead with contract awards on the basis that it will be able to resume works in due course.
https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/bridge-infilling-preparations-continue-despite-supposed-pause
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.