Author Topic: Intel NUC: any good?  (Read 1079 times)

Intel NUC: any good?
« on: 10 February, 2022, 06:22:14 pm »
At present we still have a tower system cluttering our lounge.  It is used for zoom calls, Netflix, web surfing and a bit of my personal admin linked as it is to our large Sony Bravia television.  It might sound under utilised but in fact I would struggle without a PC attached to a 49 inch screen.

I now have the necessary to put a small and inconspicuous machine in here and am drawn to the NUC.  I'd appreciate opinion and perhaps even suggestions for alternatives please.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Intel NUC: any good?
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2022, 08:20:47 pm »
I've got one under my telly, largely underused admittedly*, as are the Wii and the PS2
If you're use only needs the built in graphics of the processor, an SSD and some memory then a NUC is a pretty decent option.

* It's really there for using Sonic Stage and the cracked drivers for MiniDisc.Net to allow me to use my MiniDisc HiFi component for burning discs for the car (see other thread as to how the car is going)
But I've also got a spectrum emulator on it and as the telly's connected to the hifi could use it to play music if I felt like it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2022, 08:30:46 pm »
At present we still have a tower system cluttering our lounge.  It is used for zoom calls, Netflix, web surfing and a bit of my personal admin linked as it is to our large Sony Bravia television.  It might sound under utilised but in fact I would struggle without a PC attached to a 49 inch screen.

I now have the necessary to put a small and inconspicuous machine in here and am drawn to the NUC.  I'd appreciate opinion and perhaps even suggestions for alternatives please.

Bloody brilliant. We have a few of them at work for various purposes. Simple, cheap, does the job.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2022, 10:14:33 am »
One here in the living room in a fanless case as (Roon) music server - as other say - utterly brilliant

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2022, 04:28:29 pm »
I have one sat with the turbo for running Zwift etc and works well. Make sure if you get one it can go to Win11 though unless you have no plans to move :) Mine has a nag notice on the win upgrades screen about it not being compatible
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2022, 06:41:20 pm »
100% positive on the responses given.  That's good.  Thanks.  👍

Now to decide which one.

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2022, 08:21:20 pm »
So, I have NUC'd the lounge: so far, so good.

I am slightly amazed by how small it is and yet I'm sure that I knew from what I had read.  It has been tested for streaming and for Zoom, for internet browsing and for some admin tasks.  Very happy indeed.

It fits nicely into the stand with the large flat screen TV which I use as my monitor, the Blu-ray player, the hifi amp, digi radio and old cd decks and means that I can now move the system box out which has sat in here for the past two years.

Well pleased.  👍