Author Topic: Is good radio dead?  (Read 4434 times)

Re: Is good radio dead?
« Reply #25 on: 11 February, 2022, 09:55:27 pm »
For apps, I quite like radio.net
It has plenty of interesting stuff from around the world. I'm now listening to NPO Radio 2 from the Netherlands.
Also the app supports Chromecast, so I can play it through my Google speakers. And not as many crappy adverts as Tunein.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #26 on: 11 February, 2022, 10:18:11 pm »
I have the radio on throughout the day. Switch between Radio 6 and Radio Scotland. I listen to the odd programme on 2 and 3 and may even tune into 4 on occasions.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 11 February, 2022, 10:24:36 pm »
There's some german electroswing channel out there in the interwebs if you look hard enough.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #28 on: 11 February, 2022, 10:39:11 pm »
BBC Scotland is pretty good.

I found myself listening to the football program. I hate football.

However, these (gravelly accented) scots were funny and entertaining. They had the recent nobel prizewinner for chemistry on, david macmillan (he's a big football fan).

While playing the football yokel act, it became obvious that they had read up on David, plus, studied a bit of the subject. It was really good interviewing.

"Off the Ball" with Stuart and Tam is very funny. I'm not a real football fan but love the programme - "The most petty and ill-informed sports programme on radio!".

« Reply #29 on: 11 February, 2022, 10:51:41 pm »
I’m a big fan of fip, a French radio service that is franchised regionally but also available over the net. They do fip rock, fip jazz, fip mondiale, fip reggae, and a classical flavour too. There’s also a stream that mixes elements from each of the above, branded simply as ‘fip’, which is what I listen to. Highly recommended, it’s where I pick up most of my new stuff. And it’s ad-free*. And there’s very little speech (on the net version; I believe they have local news on the broadcast, locally franchised, version.)

* this is a major plus for me. Born and raised a child of the BBC, I cannot bear advertising on the radio, or tv.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #30 on: 11 February, 2022, 11:00:42 pm »
You have to move around and switch stations. Do you turn the TV on, sit down and stay with BBC1 or ITV all night?

« Reply #31 on: 11 February, 2022, 11:13:17 pm »
Probably.

I still miss Mixing It and Late Junction on Radio 3. R3 had some good "contemporary" music coverage and a decent world music show (Saturday afternoons).

I gave up on Radio 4 years ago; the coverage of fields in which I have some knowledge was (is?) rubbish. The 6.30 slot has a lot of dross; there's funny stuff soetimes, but I can catch that on BBC Sounds. that slot is remarkable for the quantity of documentaries about life in Yorkshire...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #32 on: 11 February, 2022, 11:34:49 pm »
I’m a big fan of fip, a French radio service that is franchised regionally but also available over the net. They do fip rock, fip jazz, fip mondiale, fip reggae, and a classical flavour too. There’s also a stream that mixes elements from each of the above, branded simply as ‘fip’, which is what I listen to. Highly recommended, it’s where I pick up most of my new stuff. And it’s ad-free*. And there’s very little speech (on the net version; I believe they have local news on the broadcast, locally franchised, version.)

* this is a major plus for me. Born and raised a child of the BBC, I cannot bear advertising on the radio, or tv.

I came back to mention that Mrs P used to listen to FIP when she was cooking  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #33 on: 12 February, 2022, 01:01:25 am »
I've found a Squeezebox plugin for FIP. Mrs P can be une hep chat again  :)

« Reply #34 on: 12 February, 2022, 06:14:01 am »

If you use the Radio France or FIP app you get a number of additional FIP channels, all equally esoteric in their own genres. I seem to recall reggae, rock, electro, monde, pop, but there are others.
I have to be on a peculiar zone for FIP, its not 'easy listening' for me.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #35 on: 12 February, 2022, 08:41:23 am »
We have a DAB that mostly plays 6 music in the kitchen. It’s a useable mix of familiar and not. The signal is stable and doesn’t twitch when we move around the room, and I’ve no need for hifi when clattering pots and pans. We have been known to change channel, but that involves knowing when a programme is on - which is rare.

At work I really can’t be doing with radio that talks. I just can’t concentrate through it. So it’s mostly Spotify for me, mixed in with suggestions from the what music do you like slack channel. Which broadens my horizons, in a pleasantly asynchronous way.

I used to follow some radio comedy, and radio 3 composer of the week and building a library as podcasts, but have got out of the habit. Without a regular commute I just don’t spend so much time listening and paying attention to it.

« Reply #36 on: 12 February, 2022, 10:35:25 am »
Probably.

I still miss Mixing It and Late Junction on Radio 3. R3 had some good "contemporary" music coverage and a decent world music show (Saturday afternoons).

I gave up on Radio 4 years ago; the coverage of fields in which I have some knowledge was (is?) rubbish. The 6.30 slot has a lot of dross; there's funny stuff soetimes, but I can catch that on BBC Sounds. that slot is remarkable for the quantity of documentaries about life in Yorkshire...

Another great fan of the late Late Junction. Introduced me to music genres I'd never come across, and drove the purchase of many CDs.

Have a compact Pure DAB radio at bedside, with a half decent pair of over ear phones, on which I listen to R3 if I can't sleep, but they play a lot of jarring Stockhausen-style non-music these days.

« Reply #37 on: 13 March, 2022, 01:42:45 pm »
I haven't listened much to music radio since 1967 when Radio London shut down. John Peel and Annie Niightingale on Radio 1 occasionally - and Mixing It on R3. These days it's only ever R4 for the news or programmes like More or Less, Science Now or Inside Health.

??? We were listening to an old mix tape in the car today (complete with jingles) which prompted the question "is Radio London still a thing?" I'm sure I'm not old enough to have made that tape pre-1967.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #38 on: 13 March, 2022, 01:58:18 pm »
The pirate radio ship Radio London broadcast from 64 to 67 and cassette tape was available from 63, so it's possible, but I'd say its unlikely to be original. (Particularly given cassette tape's propensity to self destruction).
There have been several tribute stations mostly on t'internet and at least one is still around. Some of these have sought to recreate the original sound, often with the jingles and playing 'oldies' with greater or lesser success, there are a fair few original recordings of the pirates around if you want to search the corners of the Web.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #39 on: 13 March, 2022, 04:33:10 pm »
I stopped listening to radio for any extended period around the time I graduated/stopped studying. Listening at work wasn’t a thing, nor was it possible, and for home I’d bought a TV to entertain myself when not reading. After that (around 1980) I only really listened in the car whilst commuting. My wives have never shared my taste in music, so listening at home was never really an option (I find listening with headphones to be excluding of others). So DAB works ok for me. Our home radios are all tuned to my wife’s preferences, R4, WS, R4 extra. She listens during the day whilst I’m out, but increasingly she uses Sounds and Audible.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #40 on: 16 March, 2022, 12:39:03 pm »
Isn't/wasn't Radio London a BBC station?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 16 March, 2022, 12:42:45 pm »
Probably.

Another great fan of the late Late Junction. Introduced me to music genres I'd never come across, and drove the purchase of many CDs.

Have a compact Pure DAB radio at bedside, with a half decent pair of over ear phones, on which I listen to R3 if I can't sleep, but they play a lot of jarring Stockhausen-style non-music these days.
I don't like Stockhausen but I do enjoy music which challenges me a bit, and R3 does provide that, as well as familiar stuff.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #42 on: 16 March, 2022, 12:50:29 pm »
Isn't/wasn't Radio London a BBC station?
The current Radio London is a BBC station. (Previously yclept GLR)
The pirate version most definitely wasn't.

« Reply #43 on: 16 March, 2022, 03:02:16 pm »
Probably.

I don't like Stockhausen but I do enjoy music which challenges me a bit, and R3 does provide that, as well as familiar stuff.

When Sir Malcom Sargent was once asked whether he had conducted any Stockhausen lately, he replied "No, but I trod in some yesterday".

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #44 on: 29 October, 2023, 02:39:26 pm »
The enshittification of radio continues, as Jack FM Oxfordshire (the last remaining Jack FM in the UK, I think) becomes another Greatest Hits Radio franchise.  Soon it'll just be GHR and f**king Heart.

I would guess the shift of advertising money to Google and Faecebook is behind this.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #45 on: 29 October, 2023, 02:52:10 pm »
We lost out local radio station to GHR a few years ago. It wasn’t great, but at least the traffic info was relevant.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

sam

« Reply #46 on: 29 October, 2023, 02:52:49 pm »
My wives have never shared my taste in music