Author Topic: Mineral Oil solvent  (Read 606 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Mineral Oil solvent
« on: 13 April, 2022, 09:44:26 pm »

What's the best solvent for cleaning up Shimano mineral oil from the bike and tools?

I've got some on the underside of the rubber hoods, is it going to dissolve them?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Mineral Oil solvent
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2022, 10:35:24 pm »
When I did my Cytech 2 (repeated mineral oil changes on the same bikes over the course of a day, repeated every few weeks for each cohort), I think we had some spray bottles with IPA in and an aerosol spray degreaser that didn't seem to be anything particularly exotic. I can't remember the brand, but have a vague memory of a grey and yellow can. I note Finish Line are one of the sponsors of the workshop though. No sign of any hood meltyness that I remember.

When I went to a local bike shop to get some help with the final set-up of a bike, including the hydraulic brakes, we for sure used Finish Line degreaser:

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: Mineral Oil solvent
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2022, 12:10:25 pm »
Brake and clutch cleaner, widely available.

By design it dissolves almost all contaminants that are commonly found on braking components, including: Wax (anti rust stuff for storage/shipping), grease and oil (from exploded CV joints or bearings and general handling), brake fluid. Doesn't affect the plastics rubbers or adhesives that are meant to be on/around braking systems.
As a safety critical application it is allowed to contain solvents that are otherwise difficult to get access to (solvents that actually work).