Author Topic: Tyres for audax  (Read 5074 times)

Tyres for audax
« on: 19 April, 2022, 03:30:11 pm »
Apologies if this has been done ad nauseum! I had a search back through the forum but the things I found were from about ten years ago and I think the market might have changed a bit.

I'm getting a new bike built, and am trying to decide what tubed tyres to go for. Up until now I've always run Gatorskins (and before that hardshells), because I've figured any slow down is made up for by not having to spend 20 minutes fixing a puncture....

However, I read a passing comment in an article about tyres saying that the gatorskin formula was quite old now, and that there may be better alternatives available. I've also got a bit faster at fixing the few punctures I have had so am probably less set on them being quite so bombproof. I'm looking at mostly road riding, although the roads round here get very muddy through the autumn because of the sugar beet harvesting.

Is there anything that's come out in the last few years that I should be considering?

Re: Tyres for audax
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2022, 06:52:35 pm »
The 32c GP5000 I've been using have been very speedy and not noticeable p magnets.  They are available as clincher or tubeless.  The Panracer Gravel Kings ( a nice light tyre)  have proved to be the opposite.  If you can find them I might now be looking at the Grand Prix Road Urban.  As ever, a perusal of https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ provides much food for thought.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:22:55 pm »
The Schwalbe pro one tubed seemed to be discounted these days. Not as popular as tubeless versions.  The old 2014 Schwalbe One tubed is a fast one and is still for sale in a few places in 30mm

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:37:51 pm »
I've consistently been happy with Conti GP 4-Seasons, 28mm due to clearance issues.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:51:22 pm »
I have similar things to consider: the Swedish 1200 has a gravel section, apparently.
I need to select my tyres to suit a route that's mostly a 1200 on-road with a shortish gravel section.
I will be on a road bike with typical road bike clearances.

I will keep an eye on this.

My winter commuter has GP 4-Seasons, and that is my current thought.

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:56:00 pm »
Hutchinson Sector 32 or Fusion 5 11 storm All Seasons 28.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2022, 08:11:42 pm »
I have similar things to consider: the Swedish 1200 has a gravel section, apparently.
I need to select my tyres to suit a route that's mostly a 1200 on-road with a shortish gravel section.

I've ridden the gp4-seasons on gravelly farm tracks a fen paths with no issues over a few km in a longer ride
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:02:07 pm »
I've consistently been happy with Conti GP 4-Seasons, 28mm due to clearance issues.

I was too, but I've been using 25mm MSC Road Performance Plus and Michelin Pro D Endurance (IIRC) on my rim braked bikes due to cheapness and so far (touches a tree sourced surface) they've been pretty much as good for not getting punctures, though that is in normal riding conditions and not deliberately riding over tacks or something)

I find the 4-Season 28mm on 18mm rims come in at 30mm wide on the calipers.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:03:02 pm »

It's a Swedish gravel road, I bet by mid-summer it's in better condition than any Scottish sealed surface road.

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:16:43 pm »
The 32c GP5000 I've been using have been very speedy and not noticeable p magnets.  They are available as clincher or tubeless.

I've been using them for a couple of years now, 25000km, solid & fast tyres

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:28:26 pm »
I've never had a road puncture on Marathon Plus 28mm in 5 years of audaxing and commuting, including a lot of broken glass on the roads!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2022, 11:15:05 pm »

The Fusion 5 in tubeless form works very well on my winter bike.  Grips and rolls well.

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2022, 11:18:10 pm »
Vittoria Open Pave in 25 mm.

« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2022, 12:23:09 am »
Vittoria Open Pave in 25 mm.

Not Corsa Speed? ;)

« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2022, 07:52:56 am »

The Fusion 5 in tubeless form works very well on my winter bike.  Grips and rolls well.

Sectors are indestructible but very slippy.

Fusions seem a good compromise between resilience, grip, and suppleness for winter riding. Be sure to buy the 'all season' version.

Schwalbe One are great, but cut up easily and wear fast. If you can find them heavily discounted they are a good buy.

« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2022, 01:26:18 pm »
Another vote for GP5000s. I added slime to the tubes once hedge-cutting season started, and have removed several thorns since without any problems.
I'm also running 32mm. I've taken them along a variety of gravel and sand with no problems; I found their limit on a very woodland path once it started going upwards at about 10% over mud/leaf-litter filled karst, but until that point they behaved well (as did my road bike!).
Back in the saddle :)

« Reply #16 on: 20 April, 2022, 02:05:42 pm »
Thanks for all the thoughts. I have to admit I've not considered tubeless, but that's mainly because I don't know anything about it!

I'm probably leaning towards the GP5000 or 4-seasons, but I will need to dive down the bikerollingresistance site rabbit hole one evening...

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #17 on: 21 April, 2022, 10:46:38 am »
I'll put in another vote for Michelin Pro Endurance (they appear to change the name every couple of years - FifeingEejit says "Pro D" upthread but his IIRC is understandable given Michelin's constant slight name changes).
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2022, 10:32:11 am »
The 32c GP5000 I've been using have been very speedy and not noticeable p magnets.  They are available as clincher or tubeless.

I've been using them for a couple of years now, 25000km, solid & fast tyres

Another vote for 32c GP5K. I've done some light offroad on them just fine. In all but sand and wet mud they are fine.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2022, 10:56:48 am »
The main issue seems to be that 32C GP5000 seem to be unobtainium at the moment!

« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2022, 11:08:35 am »
I think that the issue is manufacturers retiring tyres.

Krylions were brilliant. MikeH used them on his round the world record attempt. Gone.
Voyager Hypers were fantastic for the wider-tyre adherents. Gone.

>:(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2022, 11:28:10 am »
The main issue seems to be that 32C GP5000 seem to be unobtainium at the moment!

I bought a pair of 28mm GP5000 from Bike24 a month ago.  Delivery took a while but I wasn't in a desperate rush and they were cheaper than any UK supplier that I could find.  They appear to have the 32mm GP5000 in stock.

« Reply #22 on: 22 April, 2022, 01:49:22 pm »
I'll put in another vote for Michelin Pro Endurance (they appear to change the name every couple of years - FifeingEejit says "Pro D" upthread but his IIRC is understandable given Michelin's constant slight name changes).

That's what I use.  Grippy and fast (among the lowest rolling resistance apparently) and fairly P resistant.
The sound of one pannier flapping

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #23 on: 10 May, 2022, 09:07:33 am »

I bought a pair of 28mm GP5000 from Bike24 a month ago.  Delivery took a while but I wasn't in a desperate rush and they were cheaper than any UK supplier that I could find.  They appear to have the 32mm GP5000 in stock.

I'm in need of some new rubber and following this useful thread have been looking for GP 5000s, but they are indeed hen's teeth.  Bike24 have the tubeless ready version https://www.bike24.com/p2530146.html at £ :o...I know nothing about tubeless, will these fit on a normal (non-tubeless) rim?

Or should I settle for 28 mm...
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #24 on: 10 May, 2022, 09:46:37 am »
Tubeless tyres will fit on a tubed rim.  You're fine.