Author Topic: The Repair Shop . . .  (Read 1359 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
The Repair Shop . . .
« on: 19 May, 2022, 08:11:06 am »
This could be an ongoing thread about the "much-loved treasures" show . . .

The show on 18 May 2022 (last might) featured restoration of an Escalado horse-racing game and an Egg chair - I'm sure both items have been done before on the show .... anyone else recall them?

Have to say I enjoy the prog and the amazing skills the experts have, although some of the stories (yeah, I know that's what it's about) do get a bit over the top on sentiment.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: The Repair Shop . . .
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2022, 12:27:27 pm »
Yes the game has been on before, don't recall the egg chair.
I have noticed that before though and I think they add in old clips to make the show up to length. I'm sure it used to be only 40 minutes?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2022, 12:40:29 pm »
There was a horse racing game on before, but a different one and not as basic as that one.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2022, 01:42:14 pm »
Yes the game has been on before, don't recall the egg chair.
I have noticed that before though and I think they add in old clips to make the show up to length. I'm sure it used to be only 40 minutes?

The afternoon versions were only 45 minutes, and then they got repeated (I guess as the show got more traction) in the evenings with outtakes were added in to make them up to an hour.  This latest series is, I think, purpose made at 1 hour.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2022, 11:33:42 am »
Jay Blades doesn't do much, does he?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2022, 12:35:22 pm »
Have to say I enjoy the prog and the amazing skills the experts have, although some of the stories (yeah, I know that's what it's about) do get a bit over the top on sentiment.
Yes, I agree. I do like to see clocks and watches being repaired.

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2022, 12:22:04 am »

I think he was chosen for his skills at communicating.  I first saw him on the completely misleadingly titled "Money For Nothing", in which things ostensibly being tipped are turned into something saleable (and very often artistically dubious).  Jay Blades worked in (I think) Wolverhampton and was the go-to craftsman for furniture repair.  The title of the show obscured the fact that when an item was "re-purposed", then sold, the so-called profit did not reflect the cost of transporting it to and from the craft workshop responsible (sometimes as far away as Glasgow).  But Jay Blades had a very relaxed demeanour and was obviously very skillful.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2022, 01:23:22 pm »

He can sometimes be seen in the background doing stuff, but that could be just for the camera.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2022, 04:57:20 pm »
The only way I can watch this programme is to fast forward/skip all the human interest bits! It ends up with about 15 min viewing tme and most of that is spent fast forwarding/skipping, actual "repair" content is probably less than 10 minutes.