Author Topic: Water filtration for groups?  (Read 2901 times)

Water filtration for groups?
« on: 19 July, 2022, 08:02:12 am »
Most filtration seems to be basic, personal use bags with filter in the nozzle. Others are larger capacity gravity fed filters. Are there any good ones that can produce decent amounts of clean water fast to supply groups? I'm not keen on gravity filters because I'm often in places where there aren't hanging places for the top bag. I don't fancy holding 2 or 3 litres of water while waiting for it to trickle through a filter.

Katadyn and another brand back in the day competed for best in test ratings with pump based filters but they were some effort.  Better than gravity feed and steripen in actual use though.

What would you recommend?

Re: Water filtration for groups?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2022, 09:09:05 am »
Our gravity system doesn't take long at all.  Only bought it for a canoeing trip, but it was no burden to hold a bag up while in the canoe for long enough to filter that bag before filling the other.  Have you actually tried one, or is this a theoretical concern?

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2022, 03:08:37 pm »
Pump filters have the one advantage that you can lower the intake nozzle into some small spaces where you could never fit the mouth of a filter bag (think small trickle of water in a rock field). They're also good for situations where one has to filter a large quantity of water with no place to hang a gravity filter. Finally, there are pump filters that will remove a wider range of pathogens (like viruses) than the squeeze bags or gravity filters, but not many people travel in places where this is necessary. In short, the pump filters have been rendered nearly obsolete by gravity filters and squeeze bags. My Katadyn  Hike Pro and my KatadynGuide filers are gathering dust, while my Katadyn BeFree squeeze bag has become the equipment of choice on backcountry outings.

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2022, 06:59:11 am »
Our gravity system doesn't take long at all.  Only bought it for a canoeing trip, but it was no burden to hold a bag up while in the canoe for long enough to filter that bag before filling the other.  Have you actually tried one, or is this a theoretical concern?
Yes,  drinkwater system not long after it came out. Perhaps they're better now. I'll recheck flow rates.

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2022, 07:36:56 am »
How much are you looking to purify in how long a time period?

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2022, 12:03:35 am »
If the weather is hot it's enough to fill 2 bottles each,  probably a bladder too and water for food/ tea/coffee. That's for three of us. No idea what we'll need but I'd prefer a way to get enough quickly than spend ages filtering a squeeze bottle 300ml at a time like the sawyer filter I have.

« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2022, 06:52:59 pm »

« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2022, 05:07:46 pm »
I got our gravity filter out to check.  Turns out it's slower than I remembered.   ;D

After a few runs through to wet it and get out the bubbles, it takes 2m40s per litre to filter.  That's hung on a door around 2 high.  With a platypus 2x4Litre system.