Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 1660420 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16375 on: 16 November, 2021, 09:28:04 am »
Just another three boxes to go in the shed - car tools (who does anything that needs tools with modern cars?); spare/duplcated woodworking tools; and the box with all the electrical type stuff from several house renovations.
Similar effort required here. Among other things, I have a large number of A/F sockets which it would be a wrench to part with. Who uses those these days? I see you can still buy them new!
I too have a full set of AF stuff, to be deployed when the part-completed Sprite (aka The Heapster) turns up.
Rust never sleeps

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16376 on: 16 November, 2021, 09:50:00 am »
The coffee machine.

This is  the gubbins of my coffee machine, which has disgraced itself by piddling all over the worktop.
I've been ignoring it for a few weeks now, in the hope it might 'fix itself'.
No such luck.
I found the sheer intricacy of it to be a thing of beauty and wonder!

Problem was a leaking 90-degree plastic elbow on the hot high pressure line, which had become brittle and mis-shapen with heat.
The spare part took 6 weeks to come from Oz.

Coffee Machine Gubbins by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16377 on: 16 November, 2021, 01:54:20 pm »
Applied a file to the light mounting tab that is brazed to the front of the Pino. The New! Shiny! Led light now points along the road rather than two feet in front of the front wheel.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #16378 on: 16 November, 2021, 02:04:27 pm »
Finally did the long-overdue bicycle maintenance I was supposed to do while barakta was in hospital.

This meant her sitting in bed, watching Dune (1984 version) while wearing a respirator, so I could use solvents.  It appears to have worked.

Alas, replacing the chain on the Dawes was insufficient.  I've swapped the cassette; maybe it'll stop trying to kill me.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #16379 on: 16 November, 2021, 02:05:02 pm »
But did barakta survive 3 hours of David Lynch?

She somehow missed the homoeroticism entirely.  Like a 10 year old watching Top Gun.

T42

• Hat needs a wash
« Reply #16380 on: 16 November, 2021, 04:21:20 pm »
Swapped the stem on MrsT's unused trail bike for a longer one out of the bits box so that it better fits my geometry.  It was hellish twitchy before, should be a bit better now.

Still haven't re-lubed chain on Trek. Thinking back to last time I did, I don't think I dissolved the old wax off it first...
But they never got to Carcassonne.

T42

• Hat needs a wash
« Reply #16381 on: 19 November, 2021, 08:17:59 am »
Yesterday: got my properly cleaned & rewaxed chain back on the bike. Still clicky on the pedal-stroke, but it's not a typical dry-chain creak.  Need to seek elsewhere. Going to get a new one anyway while they're still to be had.

Had to knock out two links because the side-plate on one end had got itself slightly twisted so that I couldn't force the quick-link* all the way through.  No problem riding but I suppose there'll be a bit more wear on all the bits the chain goes round.

* filthy lie. Took bloody ages.

« Reply #16382 on: 20 November, 2021, 08:32:20 pm »
Fitted a ground anchor to the floor of my Keter Ultra bike store. That involved cutting a square out of the plastic floor using a very handy, loaned vibrating cutter thingamajig that did the task in seconds and sans swearing. I then used a loaned SDS drill to drill the holes to drop the securing bolts into. Said SDS drill also drilled the holes into my exceedingly hard wall bricks so I could put the wall troughs into place. I then planted mini daff bulbs in them. I also levelled a raised bed and filled it with manure and compost. It awaits whatever winter crop I can find suitable for sowing soon.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16383 on: 20 November, 2021, 08:41:55 pm »
Stripped everything (even the threaded cantilever bosses) off HK’s dead Condor commuter so the frame can go to the recycling centre.

Loctited the friction dampers on my Moulton.

Refitted the rear dynolight to HK’s Kinesis after a bolt dropped out a while back. Interim zip-ties removed and replacement bolt sufficiently shortened and Loctited.

Tomorrow’s main bike job is to face the Kinesis BB shell to kill off a persistent squeak.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16384 on: 21 November, 2021, 01:20:16 pm »
Washed the Elan. Cleaned and lubed the chain. Gave the brake pads and discs a gentle scrub as they were getting noisy with bits of dirt.

Drilled spare SKS longboards to fit raw mud flaps and fitted them to the Elan.

Unbeknown to me, the dictionary definition of a mud flap on a front SKS longboard is “a plough”: And very effective that plough is. A plough is slightly at odds with my needs as a cyclist so I swapped the mud flap for the standard SKS plastic flap. That’s got enough clearance.

I know the clue is in the name - but SKS long boards are very long indeed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16385 on: 21 November, 2021, 01:59:43 pm »
Finally faced HK’s Kinesis BB shell, which was hugely off parallel. Lots had to come off both sides to reach bare metal all the way round. Shame on me for trusting that Kinesis would do more than wave the facing tools at the frame (down to metal at one patch on each side when purchased). Hopefully that will stop the BB creak returning.

Pulled off both tyres. The front Schwalbe Almotion has been on since new (2 years) and had tread left but I don’t trust old rubber with visible cuts on a heavily used bike. The rear Almotion had been on over a year and was wearing smooth. The original rear Almotion still had tread when it was replaced due to a biggish cut. Replaced by Vittoria City & Beyond 700x38C tubeless, fitted by thumbs and holding air dry before adding goo. I would have preferred fitting more Almotions but the tubeless option no longer exists.

Replaced the original rear 140mm Ice Tech rotor as it was down to 1.5mm thickness. The front Ice Tech rotor (2nd or 3rd from new) is getting close to 1.5mm but can wait a little yet. There are two 160mm spares in the garage, so that will be a quick job.

The chain and cassette have just hit 1% and while I have a spare 11sp chain in the garage, there is no 11sp cassette left. Something for next weekend perhaps.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16386 on: 21 November, 2021, 02:54:33 pm »
But did barakta survive 3 hours of David Lynch?

She somehow missed the homoeroticism entirely.  Like a 10 year old watching Top Gun.

I am absolutely awful at subtext in films or anything else to be honest. I hadn't even picked it up from the Dune books and I'd read all of them several times in the late 1990s before we had better things to waste our time on like always on Internets.

« Reply #16387 on: 21 November, 2021, 04:14:22 pm »
MrsH has a VW T5, with a Lewis Reed WAV conversion giving it a tail lift and chair anchor points.

The tyres were getting low, and the rears were also old. The spare has never been on, but I wanted to replace it too as it's probably original and so over ten years old now. When I took the spare off, I found that the sidewall had deep impressions in it from nuts used to bolt the tail lift in place. Obviously those bolts have to go through the floor, but they hadn't considered the spare position when doing so. One nut had five washers it, so properly sticking out. I'd really not have wanted to drive on that spare with the sidewall damage it had.

So I got all five tyres replaced, then today set to sorting out the underneath. For two of the bolts I cut up an old motorcycle tyre to give padding around the nut and cable tied it in place. That way the sidewall rests on rubber rather than pushing hard into a nut. The other one I just had to remove extra washers, lop off the excess thread with an angle grinder and make sure the tyre sits away from it.

A professional converter really shouldn't have left it like that - I wonder how many others are on the road with dangerous spare tyres?

Feanor

« Reply #16388 on: 23 November, 2021, 01:04:37 pm »
A bit of emergency fire prevention fettling.

A light bulb failed recently, and I went to replace it.
It's a halogen downlighter, which runs hot.

Upon removing the old one, I notice that it's been positioned hard up against a ceiling joist, which has now been charred through by about a quarter of it's thickness.
Frankly, this installation is f*cking disgraceful. It's been all but on fire. It's come this >< close to burning the house down.
This makes me shudder.

The cowboy electrician has unthinkingly drilled a hole in the plasterboard with no regard to where the joists are.  Then discovering that he's drilled it right against a joist, has said 'sod it, no-one will know' and just shoved the fitting in regardless.

It must have been a struggle for him to get into the house, the brim of his Stetson must have been wider than the door.  That's not the first thing of his I've had to put right.  Mind you, the plumber was no better; some of his work needed fixing too.
I hope their line dancing is better that their workmanship.

Fire in the Hole! by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

A new hole, a few inches back from the joist, and well clear of flamable materials.
Were any of my hole saws the right size? Why no, no they were not. Cue emergency visit to Screwfix.

A new 'ole by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

All done. The circle of plasterboard cut from the new hole was re-purposed as a patch for the old hole.
Just a light sanding of the final skim coat to do, then a quick lick of paint.

Mostly done by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #16389 on: 23 November, 2021, 01:35:53 pm »
Good god. That is outrageous. Is there a certification authority you can inform ?
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16390 on: 23 November, 2021, 02:51:30 pm »
A bit of emergency fire prevention fettling.

A light bulb failed recently, and I went to replace it.
It's a halogen downlighter, which runs hot.

Upon removing the old one, I notice that it's been positioned hard up against a ceiling joist, which has now been charred through by about a quarter of it's thickness.
Frankly, this installation is f*cking disgraceful. It's been all but on fire. It's come this >< close to burning the house down.
This makes me shudder.

The cowboy electrician has unthinkingly drilled a hole in the plasterboard with no regard to where the joists are.  Then discovering that he's drilled it right against a joist, has said 'sod it, no-one will know' and just shoved the fitting in regardless.

It must have been a struggle for him to get into the house, the brim of his Stetson must have been wider than the door.  That's not the first thing of his I've had to put right.  Mind you, the plumber was no better; some of his work needed fixing too.
I hope their line dancing is better that their workmanship.

Fire in the Hole! by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

A new hole, a few inches back from the joist, and well clear of flamable materials.
Were any of my hole saws the right size? Why no, no they were not. Cue emergency visit to Screwfix.

A new 'ole by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

All done. The circle of plasterboard cut from the new hole was re-purposed as a patch for the old hole.
Just a light sanding of the final skim coat to do, then a quick lick of paint.

Mostly done by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Hmm - that's bad - have to say I'd have gone the whole hog and swapped to LED units - not a lot of money.   

We had 20, yes, 20 halogen downlights in our kitchen and utility room giving off a lot of heat and using a lot of juice - complete swap-out and now lighting is much better and much less juice (I think the units were about a fiver each - just had to take out the halogen transformers and connect direct to the 240 for each light)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #16391 on: 23 November, 2021, 02:53:37 pm »
Jeez...

T42

• Hat needs a wash
« Reply #16392 on: 23 November, 2021, 04:16:15 pm »
Friends had those things put in when their kitchen was done. The installers then put cupboards so close to them that the tops of the doors charred.

At least that was visible.

« Reply #16393 on: 23 November, 2021, 05:45:50 pm »
I’m with Robgul, switched out the halogen bulbs for dimmable main voltage LED’s (Phillips IIRC). Why anyone would install new halogens these days is beyond me. That they could do so as badly as that, not so much. Report to trading standards (or whatever it is in Scotland) ASAP.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Feanor

« Reply #16394 on: 23 November, 2021, 06:57:16 pm »
In fairness, the installation dates from 2008.
I must have changed that lamp before, and failed to spot this.

I plan to migrate to LEDs once I have finished my small stock of halogen lamps.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16395 on: 23 November, 2021, 07:57:51 pm »
I’m with Robgul, switched out the halogen bulbs for dimmable main voltage LED’s (Phillips IIRC). Why anyone would install new halogens these days is beyond me. That they could do so as badly as that, not so much. Report to trading standards (or whatever it is in Scotland) ASAP.

Yep - we now have just one light bulb in the whole house that isn't LED - we even have some old style holophane shade wall lights that have traditional shape light bulbs but they're LED "filament"    The reducton in electricty is noticeable.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16396 on: 23 November, 2021, 08:13:05 pm »
I think there still the odd incandescent-stylee filament bulb knocking around Larrington Towers, in the lights that get turned on about once a decade.  They’ll probably outlive me.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16397 on: 23 November, 2021, 08:19:25 pm »
Was that Northcote?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

« Reply #16398 on: 23 November, 2021, 08:27:59 pm »
Was that Northcote?

Yes.

Was that because I'd mentioned them before, a reputational thing, or a pure guess?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16399 on: 23 November, 2021, 10:53:27 pm »
I think I asked Mrs F who your builders were a year or 2 back and she said not to touch them with a barge pole, which made me pause for thought as that's who our facilities people use..
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.