Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 373826 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1475 on: 12 August, 2021, 05:44:59 pm »
"Well spotted"?
"Give me a hand then"?
"Aaah, that's better"?

Sadly I am not so quick witted, especially after riding up that hill

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1476 on: 23 August, 2021, 12:30:12 pm »
I was riding up Pier Hill the other day, which I like to do as a bit of Old Git Cycling PR (it also takes me through a rather attractive bit of unspoiled Victorian and pre-Victorian Saarfend), and a lorry was behind me. I was doing about 5mph and the lorry driver decided that overtaking would be a Bad Idea, which was a good decision.

https://goo.gl/maps/weRUa8PaQGHuWtdM6 illustrates.

Suddenly a pair of oiks went zooming past on electric-powered scooters/small-wheel bikes. They were going up the cycle lane, contrary to the painted arrows.

"Oi knob-head!" shouted the first. "Use the cycle lane!"

They were away far too quickly for any pithy response
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1477 on: 23 August, 2021, 12:39:16 pm »
Oi bone heads, use your legs

« Reply #1478 on: 25 August, 2021, 04:23:21 pm »
I was riding up Pier Hill the other day, which I like to do as a bit of Old Git Cycling PR (it also takes me through a rather attractive bit of unspoiled Victorian and pre-Victorian Saarfend), and a lorry was behind me. I was doing about 5mph and the lorry driver decided that overtaking would be a Bad Idea, which was a good decision.

https://goo.gl/maps/weRUa8PaQGHuWtdM6 illustrates.

Suddenly a pair of oiks went zooming past on electric-powered scooters/small-wheel bikes. They were going up the cycle lane, contrary to the painted arrows.

"Oi knob-head!" shouted the first. "Use the cycle lane!"

They were away far too quickly for any pithy response

I always hated that cycle lane contraflow to the one way road.  Easy to go down quickly, less easy to avoid the wide vehicle coming up and overhanging it.

« Reply #1479 on: 19 September, 2021, 08:58:45 pm »
The thing about the Triumph Of The Voles is that we stand a slightly better chance of hearing what oiks in cars are burbling. “There’s a bike line right there!!!” says man in giant Merc eSUV surrounded by empty comfy chairs after honking at us to ride in the gutter to allow an overtake against heavy traffic, gesturing at a wobbly wobbly narrow pavement.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1480 on: 07 October, 2021, 12:48:47 am »
*BMX bandit spots me and moves from the far pavement to the wrong side of the road in order to ride alongside (confusing the motorist behind, who was starting to overtake)*
BMX bandit: "[Inaudible] mong vehicle!"
Kim: "Excuse me, what?"
BMX bandit: *pedals furiously as if to prove some kind of point*
Kim: "Yeah, that's not going to work..."
*Kim engages the big ring and accelerates to speeds well in excess of 20mph*
*BMX bandit observed sheepishy withdrawing to pavement in rear view mirror*

« Reply #1481 on: 07 October, 2021, 12:29:46 pm »
Had an interesting interaction with a driver on the way home yesterday. I'm waiting at some traffic lights, heading into town. It's about 7pm and pretty dark.

There's a shout from behind "No rear lights!". Now I had struggled to get my rear light to turn on when it had started getting dark, so I rather anxiously investigated. It is working fine.
"What do you call this, then?" I ask, pointing at it.
I get some muttered reply about "Well I couldn't see it."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1482 on: 07 October, 2021, 12:46:06 pm »
I had something similar about 8pm. Caught up with two vehicles waiting at the lights, which went green just as I approached. Immediately after the junction the street is narrowed to one-car-at-a-time by residential parking, and here the driver in front of me stopped, not suddenly but firmly. I couldn't see what he'd stopped for, thought maybe he'd spotted a parking spot. There was just room to get round him but before I started to do so, his arm appears out the window doing a "wave on". Then as I passed his window, he said my front light was dazzling him and I should angle it down a bit. This was the first after dark ride on that bike since refitting the headlight in the summer and I'd actually started to wonder the same myself a few minutes before when riding alongside a fence and noticing the beam seemed to heading slightly upwards.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1483 on: 07 October, 2021, 06:44:43 pm »
*BMX bandit spots me and moves from the far pavement to the wrong side of the road in order to ride alongside (confusing the motorist behind, who was starting to overtake)*
Yes, but did you pop a wheelie?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1484 on: 07 October, 2021, 06:49:23 pm »
Alas, the mong vehicle is more suited to endos.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1485 on: 07 October, 2021, 07:28:29 pm »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #1486 on: 12 October, 2021, 10:22:02 am »
On my way home last night. As usual, I come from a non-traffic cut through which intersects the main carriageway about 4 cars back from TL's over a single track bridge. I usually have to be quite forceful in getting into the line to cross the bridge, but once over I will pull over and yield to the rest of the cars that make it over in that sequence - giving me a traffic free run to the next village, where i peel off onto a quiet lane. I'm sure it generates some short term fury with the motorists behind but... ::-)

Anyway, last night I pull up and the man in the white van on the road is eyeballing me. I look away and hear him say something over the din of the idling engines. He's still looking at me.
Me - "Sorry, didn't catch that?" (Why am I engaging? Nothing good EVER comes from these exchanges....) 
He - "I said: Are you fast?"
Me - "Not particularly, but if you let me go ahead, i'll pull over on the other side and let you go."
He - *thumbs up*

I do as agreed, little toot toot as he passes. All was well with the world.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1487 on: 12 October, 2021, 03:57:43 pm »
Constructive communication. It’s so refreshing. Motor vehicles don’t lend themselves to it much.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1488 on: 22 October, 2021, 03:09:14 pm »
Constructive communication. It’s so refreshing. **Motor vehicles** don’t lend themselves to it much.

Neither do Drivers!  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1489 on: 01 November, 2021, 06:08:15 pm »
Passenger in car, trying to take a photograph of me in the wrong aspect ratio: "Slow down luv"

« Reply #1490 on: 02 November, 2021, 12:20:20 am »
me in the wrong aspect ratio

You were riding an upwrong?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1491 on: 07 November, 2021, 07:25:48 pm »
Out on the Pino today, we stopped at the Shoreham Air Crash Memorial (recommended by the way).

A father and Small Child were there.

"Oh" said the father to the Small Child "that's one of those bikes you sit on"

Like, presumably, all the other bikes then.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #1492 on: 08 November, 2021, 12:11:11 pm »
Out on the Pino today, we stopped at the Shoreham Air Crash Memorial (recommended by the way).

is that the small one on the bridge or the 11/12 arches at the E end by the Downs Link?

Some towrags threw the bench by the latter into the river a while ago

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1493 on: 08 November, 2021, 04:34:14 pm »

is that the small one on the bridge or the 11/12 arches at the E end by the Downs Link?

Some towrags threw the bench by the latter into the river a while ago
The arches. I'd not seen it before.  I _think_ there was a bench there yesterday.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #1494 on: 09 November, 2021, 12:43:32 am »
had the weather forecast for Bournemouth (and airshow) not been so good on the day I would have been standing in the exact spot of the crash as I was in 2014, it was the best place to get views of the aerobatics up close....

even though they knew about the crash they said nothing at Bournemouth I only found out by txt, was wondering why the display was out of synch with the programme

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1496 on: 22 December, 2021, 03:56:42 pm »
WVM: "GET ON THE CYCLEPATH!"
Me: "WHAT CYCLEPATH?"
WVM: "JUST DO AS YOU'RE TOLD!"

« Reply #1497 on: 22 December, 2021, 11:14:53 pm »
You get much more shout than I do.  Is it because you ride the SM or because you does more miles?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1498 on: 22 December, 2021, 11:31:25 pm »
Sometime it's a recumbent thing, sometimes it's a gendered thing, but this one I think was just baseline motorist entitlement (I was towing a heavy trailer, so moving fairly slowly in the right hand lane because I was about to turn right).

« Reply #1499 on: 07 January, 2022, 07:45:27 am »
Not too much on an oik as it was a me

Getting towards work ninja cyclist on the road but didn't seem to look like the usual ninja, dressed in cycling gear with a lid and on a decent looking bike and going at a pace but no rear light

Got a bit closer and could see the rear light, it just wasn't on so managed to safely overtake, pull into turning for my work and shout a "your rear lights out mate" as they passed

Judging by the fact he was trying to switch it on as he cycled onwards he had either forgotten or it had packed up