Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 373405 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #175 on: 27 September, 2010, 05:35:37 pm »
Were it not for the facts that a) I was working quite hard to keep up, and b) it would have been wholly inappropriate, I would have shouted back "So do I, but they're both spoken for."
I would also suggest that
c) Your instant reposts normally take you, like they do for me, about a day to come up with.
d) You are too scared of either of them to say that.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #176 on: 27 September, 2010, 05:39:23 pm »
... one of the local sîaf (**) lads shouted "I want one!"

(**) See what I've done?  I've faked the Welsh word for chav.

Was any of them wearing a hwdi?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #177 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:05:42 am »
I was on the receiving end of the classic "yrrghghwwgghggghh" this morning, accompanied by gestures. I'm not normally bothered, but the naked aggression on the yrrghghwwgghggghh-er really p!ssed me off.

And today. Same dual-cab pickup, same arsehole leaning head and shoulders out the window. A full sentence this time, the traffic was moving slower.

Getting a bit worried about this - the arsehole was more aggressive this morning. I don't ride Wednesdays, so will have to see it they are there tomorrow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #178 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:22:19 am »
Maybe time to get one of these on your bars, ready for deployment:

SureGuard SG Active Sponge Alarm

One tug, and drop it through their window into the footwell. Not quite as good as the smelly alarms which make it really hard to keep driving, thereby giving you time to get away - but I haven't got time to google those.

« Reply #179 on: 28 September, 2010, 11:05:47 am »
Peak time at the train station a while ago...

Him: "haha, your bike looks dead stupid!"
Me: "yeah, but..." (as I start folding the bike... takes less than 10s) "...I can take mine on the train."
Him: "so can I!"
Train guard: "not for another 2 hours you can't."
Him: "oh..."

« Reply #180 on: 28 September, 2010, 11:13:03 am »
Maybe time to get one of these on your bars, ready for deployment:

SureGuard SG Active Sponge Alarm

One tug, and drop it through their window into the footwell. Not quite as good as the smelly alarms which make it really hard to keep driving, thereby giving you time to get away - but I haven't got time to google those.
I think if I tried something like that, they'd pull over and have a go at me with a shovel.

Best not to escalate it.  My concern is that they might.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #181 on: 28 September, 2010, 11:24:13 am »

Me: "yeah, but..." (as I start folding the bike... takes less than 10s) "...I can take mine on the train."

Lynx, of this parish, let me on a little secret about this (makes sense, but I have not had the cojones to try it yet).....

Take the front wheel off, then you are carrying bike parts, not a bike, the fact that you are carrying enough parts to make a full bike is irrelevant.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #182 on: 28 September, 2010, 11:31:02 am »

Lynx, of this parish, let me on a little secret about this (makes sense, but I have not had the cojones to try it yet).....

Take the front wheel off, then you are carrying bike parts, not a bike, the fact that you are carrying enough parts to make a full bike is irrelevant.....

Ha, clever!

I have a single cable lock and am too scared to leave it even locked up, so using the folding bike at the moment as I can cart it around with me - too broke to buy good locks for my bigger bike at the moment...

« Reply #183 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:57:02 pm »
Ned walking along pavement with Senga ned. "You don't even pay road tax"
Me, "I do (I know!), it's on my car, parked at home"
Ned "Oh, OK".

Ned in car angry because he can't cut the corner at a junction, because I am waiting there to turn right, "arghwaggawaggaargh"
Me, "Sorry, I don't speak ned"
Cue ned getting really angry to the point of foaming at the mouth.  ;D

« Reply #184 on: 28 September, 2010, 10:59:33 pm »
I have no idea what it was he/she said, but I was yelled at by a little kid the other day.  He/she/it must have been about 5!  It's parents must be SO proud!!

« Reply #185 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:55:05 pm »
I was on the receiving end of the classic "yrrghghwwgghggghh" this morning, accompanied by gestures. I'm not normally bothered, but the naked aggression on the yrrghghwwgghggghh-er really p!ssed me off.

And today. Same dual-cab pickup, same arsehole leaning head and shoulders out the window. A full sentence this time, the traffic was moving slower.

Getting a bit worried about this - the arsehole was more aggressive this morning. I don't ride Wednesdays, so will have to see it they are there tomorrow.

Didn't see them on ride in, but on the way home . . .

White pickup passes me - I recognise it, and face screaming at window.

400 yards further on, I see it - they've pulled in to a layby.  They wait until I pass then move off alongside me, screaming out of the window as they go.

Seriously creepy morons.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #186 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »
This is becoming habitual is it not?
Do you have a registration number?
If not,get it next time & go to cop-shop to make a formal complaint with heavy emphasise on the day of the week on which it occurs.If  the police are inclined to take any interest they at least have something to work with.
Do not equivocate.DO IT.
Take care

« Reply #187 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:04:46 pm »
It's 3 out of 3, and is wierding me out a bit.

I didn't think to note the reg number tonight when they parked; was too worried they were going to jump out and do something stupid, so was concentrating on riding and watching them very very closely.

K reg Hilux, I think. If I disappear, can someone phone the police and pass that info on?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #188 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:15:16 pm »
It's worth doing as Jogler says. It could be nothing, but why chance it?
Maybe get a camera ala Wendy or even just take still photos to show the police.
I personally wouldn't worry about idiots like this, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just larking about and nothing more sinister than that, but it's different when they're in something as dangerous as a van, so definitely worth reporting. There could be others being pestered too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #189 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:24:32 am »
That's gotta be dealt with.
Getting there...

« Reply #190 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:53:54 am »
Didn't ride today, due to kidneys playing up. Will see if I spot them on Monday.  They are probably just harmless moron rednecks, but who knows. Will keep ear out for the sound of banjos.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #191 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:06:23 am »
Want to borrow a camera, mrcharly?  I have a spare Maplins MD80.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #192 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:28:07 am »
Thanks very much for the offer, but I think it would be too provocative. Whilst I'm not a delicate flower, I don't fancy having to deal with a couple of aggroed moron labourers.

Next time I see the pickup I'll memorise the reg number and write it down when they are out of sight.

As I said to my wife last night, without provocation, I have the feeling that these oiks wouldn't 'attack' me. They might think it funny to push me off my bike or somesuch idiocy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #193 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:43:17 am »
As I said to my wife last night, without provocation, I have the feeling that these oiks wouldn't 'attack' me. They might think it funny to push me off my bike or somesuch idiocy.

In my book, pushing someone off their bike IS an attack.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #194 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:46:13 am »

Sounds like mrcharly is saying that at the moment they wouldn't push him off his bike, but if he took photos of them they might do.

« Reply #195 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:47:45 am »
It's not very obvious, and doesn't need to be at all confrontational.  It should be pretty easy to conceal the camera in a way that they'll never notice it, and avoid drawing attention to it with your own behaviour.  It's a tiny lipstick video camera that'll run for over an hour.

My thoughts are just that getting that sort of behaviour on video enables the police to do something about it in a way that your own statement simply won't, especially without witnesses.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #196 on: 01 October, 2010, 01:14:25 pm »
After an evening incident a week or so ago I've *very* tempted to lob a camera on the helmet.
Descending out of local town centre on the recumbent, probably doing 25 but I soon hit 30+ (and it *is* a 30 limit, so it's not like I'm holding anyone up, if there's any traffic around) Something big/dark (suv?) passes, something like a searchlight or wide/v bright lamp shone in my face for the next 50yards down the hill. I'm just to left of centre of the lane, but it's got two curves in it, I'm too blinded to see exactly where am in the lane or even to look in my mirror to see if the road behind is clear to slow quickly. Fortunately he effs off and I can just about see though the afterimage. Curious about the bike and just a bit stupid, or simply an asswipe trying to cause an accident ? Answers on a postcard...

Any of the md80 style things decent in low light ? - on the couple of vids I've seen on youtube they don't seem great at picking up registration plates.

« Reply #197 on: 01 October, 2010, 05:26:23 pm »
Curious about the bike and just a bit stupid, or simply an asswipe trying to cause an accident ? Answers on a postcard...

My money says they were curious about the bike.
IME there is a mindset that only other car drivers can be dazzled by lights. It was only when bike lights became almost good enough to see by, that motorists learned that they should dip their lights for cyclists too. And that still only happens if you have very good lights, even now. I doubt that it's malice, just stupid ingnorance.

« Reply #198 on: 01 October, 2010, 05:34:54 pm »
Thanks very much for the offer, but I think it would be too provocative. Whilst I'm not a delicate flower, I don't fancy having to deal with a couple of aggroed moron labourers.

If it was me, I'd rather provoke them by letting them know that they're on camera and film them coming after me. But only if I know that I can escape.
At least that way, they'll either declare war on me and I know the score, or they'll back down. Then if they really are after me I could go to the police with the film.

I agree. If I was walking down a street and someone made to deliberately push me over, Firstly I would avoid them or block their arms and possibly issue a good kick in the nads if I thought they meant business.

« Reply #199 on: 01 October, 2010, 05:44:22 pm »
Yob to cyclist "Get off and milk it grandma"
Cyclist raises middle finger and in cut glass accent shouts "Fuck right off"

Cyclist is my mates 78year old mother riding her Miss Marple stlye roadster.

Yob shouts at my friend (son of above lady.) "Oy fat bastard."
Friends's reply. "I'm only fat coz every time I fuck yer mam she gives me a biscuit."