Author Topic: eBay rant  (Read 10364 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: eBay rant
« Reply #75 on: 29 June, 2021, 07:47:38 am »
These days if you want to sell second hand then use FB.  We sold the cargo trike in a week - Bank Transfer, no fees.  eBawho?

I've been quite successful with Gumtree for flogging stuff - all cash on collection payment and no fees.   Just have to be aware that some enthusiastic buyers fail to show up so don't stop the ad until the item has been paid for.

The best "miracle deal" I've had:  replaced the granite worktops in the kitchen (quite a lot of it with one bit 2.5m long) - put it on Gumtree for £500 not expecting a result - got a bite from someone on the south coast (I'm in Warwickshire) wanting to buy it.  Deal made at the price with a £50 deposit by bank transfer (my non/seldom-used account) subject to the fitters getting it all out ready for collection - if they bust anything I refund the deposit)  Success and everything outside for collection - balance paid to bank and a van and driver sent (alone) to collect.  It was made clear that no loading help was available for the very heavy granite - and own risk etc.  Loading was farcical but successful and I got a gushing message of thanks the next day from the buyer.

Fastest sale has been 8 minutes for a bench vice at £30 - collected within the hour from posting.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #76 on: 02 July, 2021, 04:05:38 pm »
Only one 52T 110BCD chainguard exists, it's metal, and you have to buy it from Taiwan.  They shipped it in a jiffy bag.  It turned up bent  :facepalm:
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #77 on: 08 July, 2021, 10:58:36 am »
Just received an item not received request for something I sold 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I haven't kept the proof of posting details (I got rid of them a couple of weeks ago as I thought that it was safe by that point, since I'd expect the buyer to have got in touch before now).

However, just checked and the buyer left positive feedback, so I'm confused. ???

« Reply #78 on: 08 July, 2021, 12:23:34 pm »
Just received an item not received request for something I sold 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I haven't kept the proof of posting details (I got rid of them a couple of weeks ago as I thought that it was safe by that point, since I'd expect the buyer to have got in touch before now).

However, just checked and the buyer left positive feedback, so I'm confused. ???

Well, that was pleasantly easy to resolve. Spoke to live chat, and as it had been well over 30 days since the estimated delivery date, the case was closed. :thumbsup:

« Reply #79 on: 29 July, 2021, 09:27:43 pm »
I refer to the parcel that turned up after a refund: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=83743.msg2645311#msg2645311

Buyer wants to pay me and asks for.my PayPal address.

We don't have each others' PayPal details as the new eBay managed payments obscure them.

I can't send him any contact or payment details as eBay, desperate not to lose their pound of flesh, are blocking all such messages, although they told me on the phone to arrange payment between ourselves.

Luckily I have his postal address and a first class stamp.  Good luck blocking that, eBay  8)

archy

• once asterix
« Reply #80 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:29:38 pm »
Trying to schedule a listing and ebay says 30 July is Thursday..
what man calls civilization
always results in deserts

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #81 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:33:24 pm »
(Checks date/time display at top of fondleslab screen)

I've been one day out all week.  Probably due to skipping dinner on Monday because sizeable lunch.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #82 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:43:40 pm »
I refer to the parcel that turned up after a refund: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=83743.msg2645311#msg2645311

Buyer wants to pay me and asks for.my PayPal address.

We don't have each others' PayPal details as the new eBay managed payments obscure them.

I can't send him any contact or payment details as eBay, desperate not to lose their pound of flesh, are blocking all such messages, although they told me on the phone to arrange payment between ourselves.

Luckily I have his postal address and a first class stamp.  Good luck blocking that, eBay  8)

I think you can still send him a photograph of the "item".  Or your address and phone number.

« Reply #83 on: 23 November, 2021, 07:57:16 am »
I hate sellers who cancel auctions early when there are bids.  It's against the rules and the seller is supposed to contact bidders first and ask to cancel the bid.  But the greedy bastards don't bother.  Worse, eBay puts the item into a memory hole so you can't see that you ever had a bid on it.