Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452348 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4725 on: 03 September, 2011, 06:34:19 pm »
Had a 73mm BB shell, so had to go and blunt Dewi The Bike's (North Wales top mechanic magic bloke) BB facing tool to get it down to 68mm to get a BB with the right the right chainline.

I was riding with a few of the boys from Energy Cycles last Sunday, one was a Dewi who was clearly regarded amongst the other riders for his mechanical skillz.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4726 on: 03 September, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »
I've done an initial write-up here.  In the mean time, some quick pics.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4727 on: 03 September, 2011, 09:18:53 pm »
Current 'incarnation' of the Aravis/Burton

Henry Burton - Aravis Audax by windy_, on Flickr

We popped into Henry Burtons today :)
Getting there...

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #4728 on: 03 September, 2011, 10:13:05 pm »

Trek Pilot 1.2, with optional brick.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4729 on: 03 September, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »

Cool, did you say hello for me, and did you let him know where the campag came from that's on the L'eroica bike? :)

deliquium

« Reply #4730 on: 04 September, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »
Had a 73mm BB shell, so had to go and blunt Dewi The Bike's (North Wales top mechanic magic bloke) BB facing tool to get it down to 68mm to get a BB with the right the right chainline.

I was riding with a few of the boys from Energy Cycles last Sunday, one was a Dewi who was clearly regarded amongst the other riders for his mechanical skillz.

That's the very man - superstar  :thumbsup:

deliquium

« Reply #4731 on: 04 September, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »
A curvaceous black beauty lying on my bed, waiting to be undressed.

There's something quite/very perverse about that photo  :P

« Reply #4732 on: 04 September, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »

My Roadrat (Alfine 8 Speed - not that you can see it under the panniers) all ready for a weekends camping. Note the bling bling Charge grips and two locks (I'm still West London paranoid about my bike despite two years back in Bristol)

deliquium

« Reply #4733 on: 04 September, 2011, 06:55:23 pm »

My Roadrat (Alfine 8 Speed - not that you can see it under the panniers) all ready for a weekends camping. Note the bling bling Charge grips and two locks (I'm still West London paranoid about my bike despite two years back in Bristol)

That bike has intention

« Reply #4734 on: 04 September, 2011, 08:02:31 pm »
That bike has intention

You should see it in urban attack mode... lights / reflectives and luminous panniers - must take a photo when the nights draw in.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4735 on: 04 September, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »
Intention?  With that much on the back, plus the Alfine, it's going to be very back-heavy.  I find my Mixer prone to doing the "Hi-ho Silver" routine when I get back on it after just loading the paniers with a heavy shopping job.  Think, if I were using it for touring, I'd be looking to load up the front some.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4736 on: 04 September, 2011, 09:10:27 pm »

Cool, did you say hello for me, and did you let him know where the campag came from that's on the L'eroica bike? :)

Fraid they were a bit busy talking to a monosyllabic customer who was a bit vague about what he wanted.  It was going to take some time... ::-)

But I did get to enjoy looking at some of the shiny bling.
Getting there...

« Reply #4737 on: 04 September, 2011, 09:35:56 pm »
Intention?  With that much on the back, plus the Alfine, it's going to be very back-heavy.  I find my Mixer prone to doing the "Hi-ho Silver" routine when I get back on it after just loading the paniers with a heavy shopping job.  Think, if I were using it for touring, I'd be looking to load up the front some.

It was surprisingly easy to ride. Those panniers are bulky but not too heavy - tent and sleeping bag one side, clothes and cooking stuff on the other. All the heavy stuff is low down.

I am quite tempted by an Extrawheel trailer though, much prefer that to front panniers if I'm going to go anymore heavyweight on tour than that set up.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4738 on: 05 September, 2011, 09:25:02 am »
To be fair, when I do a big shopping run the density of the goods is going to be rather higher than your camping kit.  Also, the load is very vertically distributed, with just two panniers, top covers stretched upwards to the max. 
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4739 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:30:48 pm »
It's the way the bar ends are drooping. They perked up when I got out my allen key.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

deliquium

« Reply #4740 on: 06 September, 2011, 03:04:28 pm »
It's the way the bar ends are drooping. They perked up when I got out my allen key.

I thought that was one of those freebie vibrators they chuck in when you ordered that stuff from Anne Summers - mind you they don't last any longer than the Wiggle gums. Allegedly  ;)

As I think it's probably time to re-orientate the post back to bikes - are trikes allowed?

1992 Hurstbourne Tarrant AKA Uphusband - Mrs d thinking how COOL is that Campag aero water bottle

« Reply #4741 on: 06 September, 2011, 04:15:45 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4742 on: 08 September, 2011, 05:56:21 pm »

I thought that was one of those freebie vibrators they chuck in when you ordered that stuff from Anne Summers - mind you they don't last any longer than the Wiggle gums. Allegedly  ;)

As I think it's probably time to re-orientate the post back to bikes - are trikes allowed?

1992 Hurstbourne Tarrant AKA Uphusband - Mrs d thinking how COOL is that Campag aero water bottle
The whole vehiculum is cool. And you've found some incredibly pretty cottage to photograph it outside - were there chocolates inside?

But... you want, quite rightly, to re-orientate the post back to bikes, and then you call your tandem "Uphusband"?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4743 on: 10 September, 2011, 07:38:11 pm »
A self rearranging bike.. unfortunately.

IMG_0144 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

A gory close up.

IMG_0147 by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4744 on: 10 September, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »
That's failed in an interesting way.  I bet that's what you said when it happened: 'By Jove, I bet something really interesting has just happened!'.  Or words to that effect.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4745 on: 10 September, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »
I'm no expert, as many on here will attest to, but Dr DM, sir, I don't believe it came out of the factory looking like that :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #4746 on: 10 September, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »
I always carry a few cable ties for this sort of thing.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4747 on: 10 September, 2011, 08:11:41 pm »
I always carry a few cable ties for this sort of thing.

I think you'll find only gaffer tape can fix that.

« Reply #4748 on: 10 September, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »
That's failed in an interesting way.  I bet that's what you said when it happened: 'By Jove, I bet something really interesting has just happened!'.  Or words to that effect.

Yes often quoted in shorthand as FFS or Failure of Fettling System, This can often be heared very loudly in the highways and byways of rural shire.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LEE

« Reply #4749 on: 10 September, 2011, 08:22:00 pm »
A self rearranging bike.. unfortunately.

IMG_0144 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

A gory close up.

IMG_0147 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

A new Single-Speed is born