Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2436082 times)

Dave

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #650 on: 05 October, 2008, 01:38:46 pm »
Very nice. Well trimmed lawn too.

You need to nudge the front tyre round a smidge though - the logo isn't quite lined up with the valve ;)

« Reply #651 on: 05 October, 2008, 03:41:30 pm »
 :o

looks good  :thumbsup:

and very clean   ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #652 on: 05 October, 2008, 04:34:23 pm »
Bikenerd's old bike is now brazed, sprayed, rebuilt, re-wheeled etc etc etc.

Isn't it beautiful?

Sturmey trigger shifter works pretty well as a bar-con.

1987 Sturmey AW hub, stripped and rebuilt by me.

Shimano DH-3N80 dynamo hub.  These need to be built x2 because the flanges are huge,

Wacky dihedral Nitto Randonneur bars and a very tall Nitto Technomic stem.  The tyres are Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Quattro 700 x 23c.

Parts carried over from the old bike are brakes, cranks, saddle (although it now has its missing badge back) and half the headset.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #653 on: 05 October, 2008, 05:18:51 pm »
That is a work of art Roger  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #654 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:09:21 pm »
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #655 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:17:43 pm »
Ver, ver nice  :thumbsup:

« Reply #656 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:19:34 pm »
very pretty :thumbsup:

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #657 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:48:14 pm »
Going to need some work (specially to match that gorgeous bike Mr Zilla!), but picked up the 1935 Sunbeam this morning.

It's going to be completely stripped after my holiday and sent off to be resprayed black with gold lug lining

I suspect the B66 saddle is a pretty recent addition (as in within the last 15 years)

The Chain Bath is going to need a lot of tidying...

Cool little (Brummie, Joseph Lucas) odometer

The wheels are newer (50s the guy reckoned). There's a 'four' speed Sturmey-Archer...

Already planning on using this for Pedal for Scotland next year, dressed in 30s regalia (or WWII RAF type-thingy)

rogerzilla

« Reply #658 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:55:10 pm »
See?  White mudguards *are* cool.

If the hub refuses to stay in bottom gear, it's just the shifter.  Read this:

Sturmey Archer gears: Restoration

For "bench grinder" substitute "file".

If you're bored...

http://www.hadland.me.uk/sa/safm.pdf

Nowhere near as complex as they look.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #659 on: 05 October, 2008, 07:36:28 pm »
Going to need some work (specially to match that gorgeous bike Mr Zilla!), but picked up the 1935 Sunbeam this morning.

It's going to be completely stripped after my holiday and sent off to be resprayed black with gold lug lining

I suspect the B66 saddle is a pretty recent addition (as in within the last 15 years)

The Chain Bath is going to need a lot of tidying...

Cool little (Brummie, Joseph Lucas) odometer

The wheels are newer (50s the guy reckoned). There's a 'four' speed Sturmey-Archer...

Already planning on using this for Pedal for Scotland next year, dressed in 30s regalia (or WWII RAF type-thingy)

.... rear-facing dropouts and chaintugs!! .... fixie project?  ;D

Rob

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #660 on: 05 October, 2008, 07:38:50 pm »
See?  White mudguards *are* cool.

If the hub refuses to stay in bottom gear, it's just the shifter.  Read this:

Sturmey Archer gears: Restoration

For "bench grinder" substitute "file".

If you're bored...

http://www.hadland.me.uk/sa/safm.pdf

Nowhere near as complex as they look.

How did you know it wasn't staying in bottom gear???

For a brief moment I had thought of running it fixed or singlespeed, but I want to keep it fairly authentic (even if the wheels it has are a few years younger than the bike itself, it would originally have had a 3 speed I think).

rogerzilla

« Reply #661 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:04:34 pm »
They all do that.

Sturmey-Archer was a company of mechanical ingenuity and utter incompetence in beta testing, or whatever they called pre-production testing in those days.

Some designs turned out OK - hence the AW's nickname "Always Works".  The SW's nickname was "Seldom Works" and it should never have made it to market.  Likewise the 5-speed was grossly inefficient and the 4-speeds start playing up (fixable as above) after modest use.

The SunRace buyout was good news, really.  The stuff they're knocking out now, while cheap and mostly uninnovative (99% of output heads straight for the undemanding market of city bikes and folders), is at least made properly.  The new S3X three-speed fixed, while a fairly flawed idea (it's never going to feel anything like a real fixie), may be a bit of a halo product for them.

rdaviesb

« Reply #662 on: 05 October, 2008, 09:34:53 pm »
Mal Rees. My first decent bike, now restored and updated.

531 throughout Campagnolo Chorus / Veloce, Centaur mix. Paul Hewitt built wheels, using a Mavic 501 front hub, Veloce 10 speed rear, DRC ST19 Rims. Comfy, to say the least. Just need some really nice cantilevers to finish it off. Seatpost just about to be changed to a polished Athena. (Restoration in progress)

..and a little more detail of the wonderful script decals..

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #663 on: 05 October, 2008, 09:56:21 pm »
That's rather delightful.
Getting there...

« Reply #664 on: 05 October, 2008, 10:20:53 pm »
Roger, that does look rather nice.  Looking at the gear cable, I presume that it would foul a pannier or similar, if a carrier was fitted.  I'm sure all the hub gears I used as a child must have had the cable run along the chain-stay rather than the seat-stay, since I never had a problem with the carrier.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #665 on: 05 October, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »
Very tidily and carefully done Rogerzilla  :) Frame turned out well.

rogerzilla

« Reply #666 on: 05 October, 2008, 10:31:02 pm »
That bike will never have a rack - the orange Thorn can now revert to being a proper touring bike rather than a commuting bike.

BB cable routing has three problems with a SA hub:

1) BB movement during hard pedalling can tug on the cable.  This can mean you find the notorious "neutral" position on an AW -  a bit more serious than a ghost shift on a derailleur setup (which the Thorn suffers from, bigtime)

2) The free cable gets in the way when it's undone to fix a puncture.  With seatstay routing it just hangs there conveniently.

3) If the cable gets caught between chain and chainring during wheel removal and refitting (depressingly common) you get a kink in the cable which will mess up shifts forever.

You can get round these by running it in outer all the way (like on a Brompton), but it's not quite as precise an action.  Ladies' bikes always used BB routing, but they're not normally such big gear-mashers as men, and maybe they pay someone competent to fix their punctures.

LEE

« Reply #667 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:02:27 pm »
Bikenerd's old bike is now brazed, sprayed, rebuilt, re-wheeled etc etc etc.

Isn't it beautiful?

YES.

(Got any 'before' piccies?)

rogerzilla

« Reply #668 on: 06 October, 2008, 06:36:19 am »
Login

I was originally going to keep the contact points but ordinary seatposts are very cheap and I'm always a bit dubious of stems and bars if I don't know how many miles they've done (very low for the Orbit, don't worry).

I bought it from bikenerd without wheels.

« Reply #669 on: 06 October, 2008, 08:11:17 am »
Nice one Roger; very nice one!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

bikenerd

« Reply #670 on: 06 October, 2008, 08:58:39 am »
I'm surprised - but pleased - at how much work you've done on it  :thumbsup:.  I always thought someone would buy it and just run it as a fixed hack, like I used to!  The wheels went to a friend, who put them on a frame we got off Mal Volio.  Small world, innit? :)
The space cleared in the garage didn't stay empty for too long.  It's now taken up by a Planet X Superlight Team, which just needs the the contact points tweaking and the bars taping.  Then there will be pictures.

rogerzilla

« Reply #671 on: 06 October, 2008, 09:07:58 am »
Well, I took it for its first run today (bar 200 yards up and down the road last night in the dark).  To test the hub, I used the alternative commute which involves going straight up a rather steep hill from my house, not far short of 1:7 near the top. No wind at all, so my impressions couldn't be confused by a headwind (I'm going well) or tailwind (this bike is too slow).

It rolls incredibly well on the flat, much better than the Thorn, but you'd expect that with 700c racing tyres.  It felt a tad undergeared on 60", but given the huge drop to low gear, that's OK - when there is a headwind, shifting down is a last resort.  The hub is faultless, with no slip in low or normal gears (the two you can stand up in).  45" was fine for getting up the steep hill and 80" is useful downhill to avoid spinning out too fast.  There was a pleasing absence of rattles due to the tight chain and pretty generous mudguard clearances most of the way round [1].  No axle creep - those serrated washers do the job.

The bars will take a bit of getting used to because they're narrower at the hoods.  The stem probably needs to go down half an inch too.  Steering is neutral in the sense that I didn't notice it at all.  It's not a floppy as the Thorn but not as stiff as a racing bike.  The ride is very comfortable - high TPI, skinwall racing tyres at 120psi are much better than low TPI touring tyres at 90psi.

One small problem - rear brake rub when out of the saddle, caused when pushing on the LH crank.  Dual-pivot brakes, pencil stays and the need for a tiny amount of play in Sturmey hub bearings [2] all contribute.  I screwed the cable adjuster in which got rid of most of it, and I think the brake could be centred slightly better.  You may have noticed that the pros climb mountains with the rear brake QR undone, and they're on super-stiff carbon frames.

[1] I have a spare 17T sprocket which would raise the gearing to 63.5", but the 1/8" of resulting axle movement would put the tyre perilously close to the mudguard under the rear reflector - the bottom rear stays (untrimmed) are only just long enough as is, because of the 50s-style mudguard eye halfway up the seatstay.  P-clips are an option if I really need to gear up.

[2] if there is no play at all, the cranks have a tendency to rotate when freewheeling.  I remember this happening on my old Chopper.

« Reply #672 on: 11 October, 2008, 03:18:49 pm »

Its retro tastic :thumbsup:

Che

« Reply #673 on: 14 October, 2008, 02:32:41 pm »
Feremmi SLX road fixed, replaces its crashed predecessor:

Again:

And the Mercian Audax:

« Reply #674 on: 14 October, 2008, 02:38:43 pm »
Nice carpet