Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452591 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6975 on: 24 March, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »

Shows Frame geometry better.

Strokey strokey nice :P

I do hope I don't balls it up.

Don't worry - the vibe and soul of the frame and forks will always guide you O:-)

And as long as the frame and forks aren't abused with undoable 'upgrades' - enjoy the process. Tweeks, oh endless tweeks are part of the pain process leading to nirvana?

If you get scared - can I have first dibs please

;D

« Reply #6976 on: 24 March, 2014, 10:02:16 pm »
ah, retro..
here's my very own retro offering from an unbelievable 30 years or so ago...

Its Crime reference 7063646 - dodgy phone camera shot of an old photo I found.  You can see how much I loved it by the weight of the lock that I carried around, not that that helped in the end...

This must be taken in about 1985 on a Yorkshire or Scottish moor.  hmm, ratcheted gear shifters and belt drive mileometer - you don't get these nowadays!

« Reply #6977 on: 24 March, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »
As the gallery is feeling retro

The 1948 Percy Thornton Stallard 'Montlhery' is currently enjoying the smoothness of itself with a black saddle. The Gatorskins' logos are doin' me 'ead in though :sick:

Lovely.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6978 on: 27 March, 2014, 12:58:02 pm »

The box is empty - but it was such a good quality Shimano box (at least Ultegra) I persuaded the bike shop to let me take it home

« Reply #6979 on: 27 March, 2014, 12:58:53 pm »
Nice backdrop for a cardboard box  :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #6980 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:31:47 pm »
Having parted (with some sadness) with the very low-slung Dave Lloyd Concept 90, I've built up this hotch-potch on a Lemond Tourmalet frame from 2004, with Mavic Cosmos wheels and a mixture of DA, Ultegra and 105 transmission, CK headset and a super-light (300g or so) Deda fork.  All ready for the London Classic on 6 April, complete with a cassette that goes all the way to 27.  I gave it a test ride last weekend and it's lovely - just a shame my legs are so feeble at the moment.

I could tell it was a light build, but I've just weighed it (bathroom scales - difference between me and me plus bike) and it seems to weigh in at under 18lb, which surprises me somewhat.  Have I missed out some vital component somewhere?

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6981 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »

The box is empty - but it was such a good quality Shimano box (at least Ultegra) I persuaded the bike shop to let me take it home

Wonderful picture, though it is heading towards the surreal!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Chris N

« Reply #6982 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:36:19 pm »
I could tell it was a light build, but I've just weighed it (bathroom scales - difference between me and me plus bike) and it seems to weigh in at under 18lb, which surprises me somewhat.  Have I missed out some vital component somewhere?

Very nice.  3lbs over the UCI limit isn't light though. ;)

« Reply #6983 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:39:05 pm »
^Trudat, but until I hit paydirt (ha ha) and buy myself something really fancy, this is my lightest ever bike, methinks.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6984 on: 27 March, 2014, 04:28:17 pm »

Well, the GT Karakoram is psychedelic and anyone who's ridden through and up out of, the wonderful but bizarre Nantlle valley knows there's some weird vibes goin' on - beyond Welsh surrealism even :hand:

The superb quality box by the way is in my spare bedroom with all the other empty but nice boxes - there's quite a commune going on in there ???

I wonder if I've posted this in the incorrect gallery?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6985 on: 27 March, 2014, 05:09:10 pm »

The 1948 Percy Thornton Stallard 'Montlhery' is currently enjoying the smoothness of itself with a black saddle. The Gatorskins' logos are doin' me 'ead in though :sick:

That's a lovely machine. I have a Stallard tandem but it currently needs a bit of TLC.

I quite fancy trying some moustache 'bars. Are they the originals or a modern equivalent?
Pen Pusher

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6986 on: 27 March, 2014, 05:19:22 pm »

That's a lovely machine. I have a Stallard tandem but it currently needs a bit of TLC.

I quite fancy trying some moustache 'bars. Are they the originals or a modern equivalent?

Everything is at least 64 years newer than the frame, forks and headset.

I have a spare pair of 26mm clamp moustache bars (On One Mungos) yours for the price of postage? I find them too wide - which is a shame, as the bars are great IF you need to lengthen a short top tube/bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6987 on: 27 March, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »

The superb quality box by the way is in my spare bedroom with all the other empty but nice boxes - there's quite a commune going on in there ???

You have a box collection  ;D  That is brilliant - well done you  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6988 on: 27 March, 2014, 06:51:48 pm »

Well, the GT Karakoram is psychedelic and anyone who's ridden through and up out of, the wonderful but bizarre Nantlle valley knows there's some weird vibes goin' on - beyond Welsh surrealism even :hand:

You opened the box and some Welsh mountains came out. I suspect you of being Mr Ben!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6989 on: 27 March, 2014, 09:17:21 pm »
I have a spare pair of 26mm clamp moustache bars (On One Mungos) yours for the price of postage? I find them too wide - which is a shame, as the bars are great IF you need to lengthen a short top tube/bike

Sounds good :). I'll drop you a PM.
Pen Pusher

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6990 on: 28 March, 2014, 06:32:18 pm »

Meet Igor, born out of frustration and boredom, but boy, its a cracker!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6991 on: 28 March, 2014, 09:56:28 pm »
A roadified double boingy. Bad roads round your way? ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6992 on: 28 March, 2014, 10:23:46 pm »

Yes, terrible. Its more of a x-country rough stuff adventure buggy actually. It's one of those.....crikey, where does that go then,...bikes, that doesn't get bogged down on the road, with double lock out. Its FUN! :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #6993 on: 28 March, 2014, 10:44:32 pm »

Yes, terrible. Its more of a x-country rough stuff adventure buggy actually. It's one of those.....crikey, where does that go then,...bikes, that doesn't get bogged down on the road, with double lock out. Its FUN! :thumbsup:

My bold- 'nuff said :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6994 on: 29 March, 2014, 01:27:38 am »
Given that this isn't for sale in the shop and that I will eventually ride it I feel quite justified in showing off my Gary Fisher Cake 3

an awful long time in the building but helping to satisfy my GF cravings - which is quite an esoteric failing really.

It was actually finished in January but has yet to turn a pedal in anger.  :o

Tiermat suggested it was 'horrible' and in order to save me from myself offered to take it and look after it in his garage until I was better!  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6995 on: 29 March, 2014, 07:09:54 am »
Hmmm, yes, just needs some slicks, mudguards...... ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6996 on: 29 March, 2014, 07:42:52 am »
& pannier racks :demon:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6997 on: 29 March, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
Erm, no . . .

I have another GF for that.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Phil W

« Reply #6998 on: 29 March, 2014, 10:01:55 am »

The rider? ;-)

« Reply #6999 on: 29 March, 2014, 01:12:07 pm »
Haha, yes indeed.  The 8kg bike currently has to carry 78kg of rider.  Working on that side of things.  Or thinking vaguely about working on it...