Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452635 times)

Chris N

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7875 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:33:33 am »
Ta both. :)

It's an eccentric BB:

Lets you use 24mm axles in a PF30 shell.  No rear brake though, as the eccentric gets in the way of the BB guide for the internal cable routing (which used to be where that big hole is).

It only looks slammed cos it's a Synapse - low BB and long HT make it look like the bars are low.  Stock it comes with a conical 25mm spacer/bearing preload cap but that puts the bars way too high.  I replaced it with a flat one from a Super Six, plus a 5mm spacer.

« Reply #7876 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:54:10 pm »
Someone has stolen the gears since I last saw your bike Chris ...............

Anyway, in preparation for the (Not) The Friday's Tour of the Low Countries 2015, I've put the rack back on the Dirty Disco:-

15-09-03 Dirty Disco with Rack by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

I came to dislike the way that my saddlebag makes the back of the bike "wag" when I'm out of the saddle and the rack and bag (Ortleib "rack pack") barely weigh any more than the Carradice.
I'll take another picture tomorrow when it's loaded up.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #7877 on: 06 September, 2015, 06:01:01 pm »
My new beast after just completed an 80k sportif today

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7878 on: 07 September, 2015, 04:37:05 pm »
Didn't Do the sportive on the BJ? :o

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #7879 on: 07 September, 2015, 04:57:37 pm »
Sadly no... I did think about it but this one is so much lighter.... lol
BJ used every weekend for the club run and long trips to the cake cafe!

fuzzy

« Reply #7880 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:18:33 pm »

My new (to me) 2013 Trek Stache 8 29er.

17.5" frame. Shimano SLX 10 speed shifters, SLX fron mech, Deore XT Shadow Plus rear mech (fitted with a clutch mechanism to stifffen the spring and reduce chain slap), Race Face Turbine 8/24 double crankset, 11-36 10 speed cassette, SLX hydraulic disc brakes, Fox Evolution Series 32 Float fork with CTD (Climb/ Trail/ Descend settings), Rock Shock Reverb drpper seat post.

Bought from a bike shop mate who was selling to fund his upgrade to a new Trek Remedy full susser. I borrowed this bike a few weeks ago for an evening ride with the guys from the shop- 22 miles off road from Marlow to henley and back (with a couple of pints and dinner in the middle) and it was an absolute blast. I decided then that I needed a mountain bike (I only had an early 90's rigid Raleigh with a 6 speed triplw/ gripshifter set up which was not upt to it).

Right place at the right time. First commute in the morning. I think I might be late for work  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7881 on: 09 September, 2015, 12:18:20 am »
Right place at the right time. First commute in the morning. I think I might be late for work  ;D

Or at least an interesting colour when you get there...

Good stuff.   :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #7882 on: 09 September, 2015, 08:47:29 am »

Or at least an interesting colour when you get there...

Good stuff.   :thumbsup:

I was right- as were you.....

« Reply #7883 on: 15 September, 2015, 06:08:10 pm »
After battling with the new and improved Fuckr, here's a picture of the Disco with luggage.
The Ortleib Rack Pack contains my non-cycling gear while the frame bag has waterproof and leg/arm-warmers and other clothing that I might need or have taken off. The bar-bag has tools, tubes, sun-cream etc.
The system works well except if I need to get something out of the rack-pack during the day and the rack-pack is a pain to fit and remove.
Once on the bike, it's supremely stable, aero and narrow enough to get through bike-gates and the like.

The picture shows the bike on the Friday's Lowland Tour last week. We had lots of pave and even some off-road.
The orange bungees are for fastening the bikes (Helen was with me, she used a ruck-sack  ::-)) on trains. The rack-pack is held on with 2 velcro straps and 2 short bungees. It's belt, braces and string ...........

15-09-06 Dirty Disco with rack and luggage by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7884 on: 15 September, 2015, 09:13:41 pm »
It looks as though you might have sacrificed some convenience for some aero - would that be fair?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #7885 on: 15 September, 2015, 10:55:27 pm »
It looks as though you might have sacrificed some convenience for some aero - would that be fair?

Yes.
I've done a few rides with panniers and I've been really frustrated by the effects of headwinds.
On the Lowlands tour, we had constant headwinds courtesy of the high pressure over the UK.
I was really pleased with my set-up on that score.
A further benefit is that I go downhill very quickly, even when I'm not pedalling.
Another plus is that my rack/rack pack combo is about the same weight as my Carradice saddle-bag and much lighter than a rack/pannier set up.
I should add that my rack is mounted on the rear axle so, if I have a puncture, it's hard work to remove the rear wheel.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7886 on: 15 September, 2015, 11:09:17 pm »
That all makes sense. The rear mounting system looks very specific. It is presumably the best you could manage. What would you guess was the average puncture/need to remove the rear wheel per mile?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7887 on: 15 September, 2015, 11:14:08 pm »
I should add that my rack is mounted on the rear axle so, if I have a puncture, it's hard work to remove the rear wheel.

Having done this on my mountain bike due to lack of braze-ons, I can confirm that it's a lot more annoying than it sounds:

Completely removing the skewer isn't really a big deal (as long as you pay attention to not losing the springs, though they're mostly redundant once there's a rack stopping the wheel from dropping out anyway).  But as soon as the skewer's out, the rack starts flopping about.  Which means you can't use it to hold the bike while re-fitting the wheel, as you'd naturally want to - it just gets in the way of grabbing seatstays or other likely bits of frame.  Lining up the rack and axle in order to re-insert the skewer is a bit of a faff as well.

Obviously panniers would have to come off anyway to stop the bike being unwieldy, but if there's a lightly loaded racktop bag (which is mostly why I want a rack in the first place) you might normally be inclined to leave it in place - but that's not practical when the rack is going to be flapping about on its upper supports.

(On the other hand, it makes for an easily removed rack, and - critically - avoids the need for *shudder* saddlebags.  It's also allowed me to bodge up a better solution than the usual MTB rear mudguard.)

« Reply #7888 on: 21 September, 2015, 08:51:14 am »
My steel bike these days.

The B'Eagle by ao, on Flickr

Still on 8-spd (probably unusual) as the old campag chorus chainset most probably wouldn't be great with 9-spd - but I'm used to it, so no problem.  I have a 9/10 chainset waiting in the wings for when the time come.  Here sporting new Pasela PT 28mm tyres.  Also have Tiramisu bars on atm, good for long 'empty' stretches on road.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7889 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:19:02 pm »

Still on 8-spd (probably unusual) as the old campag chous chainset most probably wouldn't be great with 9-spd - but I'm used to it, so no problem.  I have a 9/10 chainset waiting in the wings for when the time come.  Here sporting new Pasela PT 28mm tyres.  Also have Tiramisu bars on atm, good for long 'empty' stretches on road.

I rather like that! :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7890 on: 22 September, 2015, 01:58:51 am »
Proper!
Getting there...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7891 on: 29 September, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »

took IGOR on a ruff stuff weekend , as is, minus rear bag. Coped very well on slicks, other 19 had knobblies, didn't slow me down tho', but started to struggle a bit by the end of the second day. This was FULL ON  stuff, down the Summer lightening trail, at Leith hill in Surrey, and back up again, quite muddy. Went ot give it a clean today and............

OOOOppss! :o

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7892 on: 29 September, 2015, 11:45:37 pm »
Armadillo by any chance?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7893 on: 30 September, 2015, 07:08:48 am »

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7894 on: 30 September, 2015, 08:50:00 am »
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7895 on: 02 October, 2015, 01:45:51 pm »

Still on 8-spd (probably unusual) as the old campag chorus chainset most probably wouldn't be great with 9-spd - but I'm used to it, so no problem.  I have a 9/10 chainset waiting in the wings for when the time come.  Here sporting new Pasela PT 28mm tyres.  Also have Tiramisu bars on atm, good for long 'empty' stretches on road.

Nice  :)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #7896 on: 04 October, 2015, 08:30:16 pm »
Armadillo by any chance?

Oui monseuir.

You're not alone.

I stopped using Spesh tyres due to delamination problems, fortunately not during a ride.  T sorted me out with Schwalbes at short notice (handy he's my brother, as it was a Sunday!) and I've used them since with no problems.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #7897 on: 04 October, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »
Cheers BlodwynP, Clarion & Windy.  Since the beginning of August I've ridden this bike exclusively, and the new-ish Brookes is breaking in well - so will hopefully be good n'comfy for the 'Upper Thames' next month...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuzzy

« Reply #7898 on: 04 October, 2015, 11:03:20 pm »

My Trek Stache in the surroundings for which it was intended.

« Reply #7899 on: 18 October, 2015, 06:44:58 am »

My Trek Stache 9 loaded up and ready for winter. Mainly Alpkit luggage. Few carbon bits and bobs to get the weight down to 25lbs. Currently running Surly Dirt Wizards tubeless, and they are great in gloopy mud. Not as nice as Chupacabras for rocks and stuff. Next off road thing likely to be the Pennine Loop ITT. Until then, it'll do an off road commute once a week to keep my MTB hand in in the dark months.