Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2435387 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1375 on: 07 April, 2009, 01:18:24 pm »
Tum te tum. Only a poor quality mobile phone camera pic so far.

2009 Wilier Izoard Centaur.

My God it goes quickly (and I only rode it 2km from the shop to work) and every little ounce of power you put in goes right to the back wheel.

I'm guessing I'll be doing my quickest commute of the year tonight, plus my fastest lap(s) of Richmond Park.

Thank you Cyclescheme. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #1376 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »
Nice bike  :thumbsup:.

You appear to be developing similar colour tastes to Valiant.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1377 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:18:42 pm »
He hasn't put 'Police' on it yet.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1378 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:26:00 pm »
You appear to be developing similar colour tastes to Valiant.

It's all subconscious but I do realise my audax, fixed and hack bikes are all red. I didn't get any choice in the colour of this one...

Thank God they changed the white bar tape for black though. Saddle will be replaced at some point with something less white (and no, not a Brooks).

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1379 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »
Must stop salivating at this thread and get back to working

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1380 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:53:20 pm »
Very nice.  Not my thing, and the graphics look awful busy, but I used to work with a chap who had a Wilier, and it is a lovely machine close to as well.

Hope you have many happy miles ahead with it :thumbsup:

And that people don't refer to your 'Willy, eh' in too many unfortunate contexts ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1381 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:04:05 pm »
And that people don't refer to your 'Willy, eh' in too many unfortunate contexts ;)

Luckily it's pronounced Vee-lee-air.

Wilier is an acronym of "W (Viva) l' Italia liberata e redenta". (In Italian Viva is often abbreviated to W.)

"Long live Italy, liberated and redeemed."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1382 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:08:09 pm »
Ah - I wondered where the name came from (translation please Googled that ;) ).  I thought it was maybe a German name by way of Switzerland.

But I did know how to pronounce it ;)

Interesting that the name celebrates liberation in 1908 ???
Getting there...

« Reply #1383 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »
Translation added.

I stumbled on a fair bit of the history whilst I was looking for reviews and comments about the bike.

Did I say that it was quick? 50kph along the flat along Kingsway towards Strand after picking it up. Fuuuuuuuu....

Was a little odd riding a geared bike again after all that time on fixed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1384 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:12:45 pm »
Cooooool! 8)
Getting there...

« Reply #1385 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »
Did I say that it was quick? 50kph along the flat along Kingsway towards Strand after picking it up. Fuuuuuuuu....
You run fast too!  ;)

« Reply #1386 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:14:52 pm »
Was that in km/h?!  :P
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1387 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:24:21 pm »
Nice bike Greenbank :thumbsup:

I love mine, it's very fast and very comfortable over distance. Fizik do a nice red tape that goes with the paint colour and get selle or fizik on it  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #1388 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:27:39 pm »
I might, shock horror, have to n-1 given that it used to be my summer bike and I simply haven't ridden it for more than 2 years now.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1389 on: 07 April, 2009, 04:45:30 pm »
Must stop salivating at this thread and get back to working

Pourquois?

Admiring bikes is far more important!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1390 on: 07 April, 2009, 04:48:18 pm »
When you get to the position where your Colnago is surplus to requirements, you are in a realm I have never even dreamed of ;D
Getting there...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1391 on: 07 April, 2009, 04:52:42 pm »
Update: Have removed a spacer on the steerer for a lower bar position and swapped the 100mm stem for 90mm - I was little overstretched on it and felt too upright on the hoods. Also intstalled a Hope Hed Doctor, which is an improvement on the thing supplied with the Principia headset - holds firmer and gives me more confidence that my assembly efforts won't result in catastrophic failure!

uhhh a Principia, sooo pretty, I got a weak spot for them :)

I went to the same school as the fellas who started Principia and I pretty much lived over the road from the first factory.

How does it ride ? The only Principia I have ridden is a 15 years old MTB frame and she (Dirty Pia) is still going strong. Love spinning around town on it nice a stiff frame and she is very nippy. But not a bike for long distances, DunRun killed my back and shoulders for days after
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1392 on: 07 April, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »
That Principia is indeed beautiful.  :thumbsup:

Annie's bike looks very nice too - a bit too full-on serious racing for my tastes though!  Look forward to seeing it fully built-up. :)

« Reply #1393 on: 07 April, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »
Woolly, it rides great - light and responsive. People had warned me that it might be a bit harsh and twitchy, but it just isn't, I love it. I remember you saying about how you lived near the factory, don't see too many of them about round here, although my dad has 3 at home! (one built up and 2 frames in the loft). We're almost exclusively a Raleigh and Principia family. ;) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1394 on: 07 April, 2009, 05:15:08 pm »
Some pics of the new bike.  These were taken in France, just before it was shipped.  I am very excited.

Bloody hell Annie! You've got a Cyfac! :o With your name on!

I'm utterly utterly green with envy. It's beautiful.

« Reply #1395 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:08:25 pm »
I might, shock horror, have to n-1 given that it used to be my summer bike and I simply haven't ridden it for more than 2 years now.
Cool, what size is it and how much?  ;)

Nic

« Reply #1396 on: 07 April, 2009, 07:10:28 pm »
After faffing around fitting a computer after work (why didn't I get the bike shop to do this?) I didn't have enough time to go to the park. Probably Thursday for its RP debut.

It flew home though, near record time despite a reasonable againsterly.

Customary kitchen shot (slightly blurry but spot the Nuun)...

:P

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1397 on: 07 April, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »
That's a very small inner chainring.  Permission to call you a wuss?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1398 on: 07 April, 2009, 08:08:24 pm »
That's a very small inner chainring.  Permission to call you a wuss?

Sure, you can join me (and the bike) on this wussy ride next year if you want: Club des Cinglés du Mont-Ventoux :)

Lowest gear is only 34.4" (50/34 and 13-26 as standard, which is what I wanted anyway). Not as small as the 30x29 (27.3") on the Audax bike (and I still walked up The Devil's Staircase).

« Reply #1399 on: 07 April, 2009, 08:20:17 pm »
Nice bike Greenbank :thumbsup:

I love mine, it's very fast and very comfortable over distance. Fizik do a nice red tape that goes with the paint colour and get selle or fizik on it  ;D

I got them to rip off the white bar tape and put on black. Red would be a bit too much. Tyres will be replaced with all black tyres whenever these die. Saddle will also probably be replaced with something black at some point in the future.

When you say "over distance", what distances are you talking about? I was planning on using my Reynolds 631 Audax bike for some long hilly rides (400km from London to Cornwall via Dartmoor and a 300km ride with 5400m climbing) but I've got silly ideas about using this one (unless there's a possibility of wetness as there's no way I'll ever consider putting raceblades on this bike).