Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2442109 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #125 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:07:26 am »
Looks good in black.  Better than my old blue one, I think.

That blue has grown on me...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #126 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:16:53 am »
Looks good in black.  Better than my old blue one, I think.

That blue has grown on me...

Sounds nasty. Can you seen a Doc and get something prescribed to get rid of it? :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #127 on: 06 May, 2008, 10:51:54 pm »
Powder coated Serotta T-Max -91 converted to commuter and touring bike. Frame made from oversized and ovalised Columbus Max OS tubing that I traded for a duffel coat! Did a three week tour round the Baltic sea and the stout frame and 36 spoke Mavic X-618 wheels handled the load well. Have a new set of decals but I'll leave it as is so it doesn't draw attention from the rotten crowd.

Used to look something like this long before it got to me:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=29462&g2_serialNumber=4

KHS Team Tourer with a lightweight TrueTemper Platinum frame. Bought the frame new in Chang Mai as the chain stays on my previous one had been destroyed by a Pletcher kickstand. Far to flexible for the rough roads of southern China, and as I was completely broke when I got home, I sold it as soon as I could.  :-[

Not so long ago on a quiet trail near home!

So do you think I cleared that plank...?  ::-)
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #128 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:34:45 am »
No.  ;D

It is that time of year again, Westwoods near Marlborough.  The smell was glorious.

The Monsta Thorn in Bryan Chapman mode.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #129 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:13:26 pm »
Oh, have a little faith will you! 'Cause I did!

What a lovely place for a kip! Must have smelled better that Jordan’s ample bosom on a Saturday night!  ;D
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

Chris N

« Reply #130 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:21:08 am »

Peter, what's the black bike?  Is it a Salsa A La Carte?  Very, very nice - I've got a bit of a weak spot for retro steel MTBs, American ones especially.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #131 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:46:34 am »
The road iron with new bars I bought from Biggsy and Campagnolo levers in place of the Shimano ones.

Frame: Raleigh Special Products Reynolds 631
Wheels: Mavic Cosmos
Transmission: Campag Veloce levers (10sp), Shimano Ultegra cranks and rear derailler (8sp) and 105 f/d, Campag Centaur brakes, Shimano pedals (single-side spuds).
Stuff: 3T Morphe bars, 3T stem, Fizik saddle, Planet-X seat post. Conti Gatorskin tyres.

Pen Pusher

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #132 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:02:22 pm »

Peter, what's the black bike?  Is it a Salsa A La Carte?  Very, very nice - I've got a bit of a weak spot for retro steel MTBs, American ones especially.

Thanks Chris! New powdercoat and decals. It was pretty scuffed after been raced by a local maveric in Holland. Reynolds 853 tubing and a chepo Zokes. Bet you used to keep a pile of Mtbr-UK and MTB-Action next to the bed! I sure as hell did!  ::-)

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #133 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:10:34 pm »
The road iron with new bars I bought from Biggsy and Campagnolo levers in place of the Shimano ones.

Frame: Raleigh Special Products Reynolds 631
Wheels: Mavic Cosmos
Transmission: Campag Veloce levers (10sp), Shimano Ultegra cranks and rear derailler (8sp) and 105 f/d, Campag Centaur brakes, Shimano pedals (single-side spuds).
Stuff: 3T Morphe bars, 3T stem, Fizik saddle, Planet-X seat post. Conti Gatorskin tyres.

Nice Shmergo kit and paint (a bit like a shot of flaming Sambuca!)!  :P

« Reply #134 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:42:26 pm »

Its about time i put bikes up, and given my wife threatens to leave me if
i look lovingly at my new Yukon again thought i should share it with other obsessives....

..Just lift your head, take a deep breath and enjoy....

« Reply #135 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:57:17 pm »

Its about time i put bikes up, and given my wife threatens to leave me if
i look lovingly at my new Yukon again thought i should share it with other obsessives....

Geraldom,
I couldn't see them in your post but I can in mine.
Strange.

« Reply #136 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:59:16 pm »
Grub thanks. not too technical minded but tried my best to follow instructions..I'll try and modify

Ta

G

« Reply #137 on: 10 May, 2008, 02:05:37 pm »
Welcome to the Yukon club  :)

It's a great bike.

The only thing I'd like to do to mine now, after getting it all the way I like it, is to get those rumoured new Shimano shifters with Campag style cable runs. (Are they available yet?)

I see you have your saddle way back on it.

« Reply #138 on: 10 May, 2008, 02:10:51 pm »
Thanks Sgt

I thought the hype about comfort was a way of people justfying the spend
on the Yukon and psychological until i went for my first ride on it. As you can see
the other bikes an alu frame and the difference commuting on duff Glasgow roads
is incredible.

As for saddle i'm just trying things out at moment as i've only had it two weeks. My
general preference is for a fairly well back position but i will try a few before settling
i suspect.
Mine all Shimano ultegra so no idea if the camp shifters are out i'm afraid

G

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #139 on: 10 May, 2008, 03:58:44 pm »
My Surly Long Haul Trucker with new Deore Triple chainset:

a great mind thinks alike

bobajobrob

« Reply #140 on: 10 May, 2008, 05:15:38 pm »

Snap ;D (Except mine's not new.) How do you find it? I'm very pleased with mine. Handling, comfort and looks are great, and it seems solid enough.

« Reply #141 on: 11 May, 2008, 10:04:33 am »
I find it incredibly comfortable and responsive when its needed.

My issue at moment is getting balance 100%. On the tricross i can
take hands off and peel banana or remove/add a jersey, with the
yukon just getting balance to sit up and start to relax....

Really great bike, but for good weather only..................

G

gordon taylor

« Reply #142 on: 11 May, 2008, 11:18:16 am »
Here's my Longstaff audax bike, recently rebuilt after a respray. It used to be turquoise, but I'm going for classy black on all my bikes now.

Spec is: Open Pro rims on Hope rear and SON front hubs. Dura Ace shifters and transmission. Nitto bars and stem. Ultegra brakes and seatpost.

The "2002" seat tube transfer is deliberate - to stop the family whinging about all my "new" bikes.

It's a lovely bike, and very personal.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #143 on: 11 May, 2008, 05:43:36 pm »
Very stylish! :thumbsup:
How was it to deal with Longstaff?

gordon taylor

« Reply #144 on: 11 May, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »
Very stylish! :thumbsup:
How was it to deal with Longstaff?

I'm biased, and local to the shop... I've got three custom Longstaffs and also bought another four bikes and a tandem from the shop. I like them; I like the fact that they know my name, know my bikes and never, ever try a hard sell. When I was getting "into" cycling about ten years ago, they were the only shop for miles who didn't treat a fat, clueless, newbie (me) with disdain.

They are nice people whose only fault is to be continually optimistic about delivery dates and finished prices. I'm also sadly aware of a "lets's slag off Longstaffs" attitude around since George died.

It's easy, if you want bargain bikes and speedy delivery, use Wiggle - if you want a classy unique bike with personal service - consider Longstaffs. I expect to be riding all of mine for the next twenty-five years or more.

« Reply #145 on: 11 May, 2008, 07:58:21 pm »
Very nice indeed Gordy.

« Reply #146 on: 11 May, 2008, 08:03:45 pm »
My Marin, revamped a little with a new headset, a Cotic fork and an Avid disc brake. There is now nothing remaining of the original 2002 bike - even the frame is new as I broke the first one not long after buying it!

If the frame ever goes, I fancy putting everything on to a bare Roadrat frame. 

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #147 on: 11 May, 2008, 08:05:20 pm »
Free bike!

Puch Elegance, seen on a pile of scrap metal on the Barns Tower estate near Peebles while staying there in May.

Asked if we could take it, and we could! For nothing!

Needs cleaning up (rust on the handlebars and just general muckiness from being left outside), but the brakes and the Sturmey Archer gears still work perfectly.

There was a nice little kids purple bike ('Curry' anyone?) as well which we didn't take, and an old BSA road bike. Unfortunately every single component was shot, right down to the BSA name-cut pedals, and the frame was only borderline saveable, so that got left.

Jakob

« Reply #148 on: 11 May, 2008, 09:52:44 pm »
My new bike:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #149 on: 11 May, 2008, 09:59:47 pm »
Nice, Jakob. Interesting bars.
Getting there...