Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2399045 times)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #225 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:40:07 am »
Brroks on such a machine Dodge!? Noooo...  :P

Frenchie, I would generally tend to agree with you on this, I am really happy with the Arione, but whether I'll be so happy after the 300 tomorrow, well we'll see...can't afford another bike and don't want to get into the form over function debate ;D

I love those hubs though Annie, I'm very tempted...but it will have to wait for Xmas!
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

annie

« Reply #226 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:52:25 am »
Nice bike and nice pictures Annie (do I spot a triple?!). Well equipped and looking fast too. Are they local to you? I have only recently heard of the brand and seen ads in the cycling press.

Yes tis a triple Frenchie although haven't had to resort to the granny ring as yet.  Greg Roche from Sunday came down to me with a bike to try out and delivered mine in his car.  Up Shropshire way, distance doesn't appear to be a problem for him though.

bikenerd

« Reply #227 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:59:12 am »

Frenchie, I would generally tend to agree with you on this, I am really happy with the Arione, but whether I'll be so happy after the 300 tomorrow, well we'll see...can't afford another bike and don't want to get into the form over function debate ;D

I think a Brooks Swift would look mighty fine on such a nice machine and also be very comfortable. :thumbsup:

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #228 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:57:54 am »
Greg didn't quite come down to South Wales, but he was fab on the phone and really helpful in getting my order sorted, a top bloke and I would not hesitate to recommend them to other people for sure.

I went all vein with my front light, which is a Hope Vision 1, in matching red, so I guess the hubs would nicely complement that!

Agree that something a little more "racey" like the Swift would look good...I better start compiling my Xmas present list now!
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

« Reply #229 on: 30 May, 2008, 05:13:18 pm »

I think a Brooks Swift would look mighty fine on such a nice machine and also be very comfortable. :thumbsup:

I have given up on my Brooks Competition: So uncomfortable at times compared to my Flites (I have 3, 2 Originals and 1 SLR)... which also look nicer on modern bikes. I love the look of the Brooks though, esp. on a classic bike, but it is too, I don't know, uncomfortable I guess.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #230 on: 31 May, 2008, 05:06:48 pm »

At least I remained firm until page 16. I cleaned her and she was so lovely it was rude not to photograph too.

alan

« Reply #231 on: 31 May, 2008, 05:11:06 pm »

At least I remained firm until page 16. I cleaned her and she was so lovely it was rude not to photograph too.
A couple of close-ups would be interesting..show us your light brackets :)

« Reply #232 on: 31 May, 2008, 05:53:20 pm »

Dinotte supplied bracket.

Exposure supplied bracket on a Topeak bar tidy.  Topeak far outperforms the Minoura ones in my experience.

alan

« Reply #233 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:05:21 pm »
Topeak far outperforms the Minoura ones in my experience.

Same opinion here.

I have two Topeak brkts,one on the bars each side of the stem

« Reply #234 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:39:55 pm »
Is the Topeak one as long as a Minoura one? So suitable for barbag users?

« Reply #235 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:46:16 pm »
I believe so.  The main difference is in the internal clamp.  The Minoura ones in my experience are a use once and never touch it again - or it is no good. My Topeak ones have been on and off and on and off several times and are still going strong.  For the same price that is worth it in my opinion.

« Reply #236 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:52:58 pm »
Could you measure the distance between the tube and the clamp? I have a Minoura Swinggrip mounted to compare the results.

« Reply #237 on: 31 May, 2008, 08:54:17 pm »
I've put some pics HERE

LEE

« Reply #238 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:11:01 pm »
That was then

And this is now  (I can assure you that it's much redder, and therefore much faster, than the photos depict)

I can't wait until I can start assembling it although I'm dreading scratching the pain-job.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #239 on: 02 June, 2008, 04:42:31 pm »
I'm dreading scratching the pain-job.

And that is exactly what it will be if you DO scratch it ;D

Lovely looking frame, by the way  :D
Hill Slug

« Reply #240 on: 02 June, 2008, 04:48:31 pm »
Lee--glad to see it's back. That's very, very red.  :)

It's a really nice bike--I'm looking forward to seeing it back together again.

Best advice I've heard is just wait for the first scratch, and then relax--you don't need to worry about it happening again.  ;)
scottclark.photoshelter.com

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #241 on: 02 June, 2008, 04:54:11 pm »
Best advice I've heard is just wait for the first scratch, and then relax--you don't need to worry about it happening again.  ;)

Agreed. Only once it has its first scratch is it Truly Yours.

I'm not normally a fan of red bikes, but that is rather nice.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #242 on: 02 June, 2008, 07:23:35 pm »
Looks to have been very nicely done  :)

LEE

« Reply #243 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:13:42 pm »

It's a gorgeous paint-job, it looks about an inch thick and redder than red.

It's been sat on my office side-desk all day and I must confess I've stared at it longer than I probably should have.

Is this so very, very wrong of me?

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #244 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:39:37 pm »

Very wrong, but hey, who cares :thumbsup:

That is one fantastic looking frame! Certainly does look like they have done an amazing job, very envious!

A funny thing seems to have happened to me, once (about 1 year ago) I used to drool over the latest carbon frame (Trek/Scott/Specialized/Colnago etc. etc.) with latest groupsets, carbon/titanium everything, factory built wheels, racing saddles and so on.

But now I just seem to think of nothing but classic looking steel frames with traditional paint jobs, older style groupsets (like the old Campag Record), Brooks saddles, Carradice saddle bags...and even........mudguards :P

What on earth is going on? What's next? Slippers and a pipe? ???

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #245 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:02:13 pm »
Yep.  That works.  It looks very good indeed.

*a traditionalist who tends to like his BE Touristiques in Gunmetal Grey ;) *
Getting there...

« Reply #246 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:39:40 pm »
Are those booklets under there so the frame doesn't scratch the desk, or so the desk doesn't scratch the frame..?

Robbo4

« Reply #247 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:36:44 pm »

« Reply #248 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:42:57 pm »
Robbo--I remember first seeing the pictures of that Mercian; what a great bike.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #249 on: 04 June, 2008, 12:16:01 am »

It's a gorgeous paint-job, it looks about an inch thick and redder than red.

It's been sat on my office side-desk all day and I must confess I've stared at it longer than I probably should have.

Looks great Lee - I reckon the white sections really set the red colour off nicely.  I have the same Touristique frame, late 80s - in the metallic grey colour  :)  This is a thread you may be interested in, which I've had bookmarked for a while. 
CTC Forum :: View topic - British Eagle Touristique?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson