Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452293 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3825 on: 10 November, 2010, 03:13:01 pm »
TimO, your hall looks a bit bare.  How about some nice pictures?  Or better still hang your lovely new bike on the wall!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3826 on: 10 November, 2010, 03:29:42 pm »
Last time I saw his hall, it had a junkmail motif to the floorcovering ;D

Crikey, but that's a red bike!  Make sure you don't let our Valiant near it. 

Mind you, there might be an altitude differential challenge.
Getting there...

« Reply #3827 on: 10 November, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »
Looks nice  :thumbsup:

I was tempted by one of those too; having so much red on it should make it a very fast bike.

I think somebody, somewhere has bought a load of white-hooded SRAM stuff. The cheap SRAM groupset I bought for my Roubaix also came with white. As you say, replacement hoods are available - though I chose to put white bar tape on instead and quite like the look with the white matching the lettering on the frame.

I'm also interested in how you get on with the rack. Which bag are you putting on it?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #3828 on: 10 November, 2010, 03:31:35 pm »
Last time I saw his hall, it had a junkmail motif to the floorcovering ;D

Crikey, but that's a red bike!  Make sure you don't let our Valiant near it.  

Mind you, there might be an altitude differential challenge.

Surely you're not suggesting Valiant might have trouble getting his leg over?
a great mind thinks alike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3829 on: 10 November, 2010, 03:33:08 pm »
Never.
Getting there...

« Reply #3830 on: 10 November, 2010, 04:38:16 pm »
Very nice Tim O  :)

Carbon? What Planet X model is that?

« Reply #3831 on: 10 November, 2010, 04:43:53 pm »
I was tempted by one of those too; having so much red on it should make it a very fast bike.

I think I paid slightly more for red forks, and red brakes! ;D

I'm also interested in how you get on with the rack. Which bag are you putting on it?

A red TailRider of course!

Actually, it is rocket science.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3832 on: 10 November, 2010, 05:08:33 pm »
That looks fast!  :thumbsup:

Can't believe you're going to put a rack on it.  ::-)

And not sure about the combination of black saddle, red bar tape and white hoods.  :-\

The Bike is red and black and white and so are the handlebars.  Seems to match to me, if a little towards the Harlequin mode.

I have a bike that's all yellow and black apart from the white saddle.  When you're riding, people can't see much of the saddle.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #3833 on: 10 November, 2010, 05:18:06 pm »
That looks fast!  :thumbsup:

Can't believe you're going to put a rack on it.  ::-)

And not sure about the combination of black saddle, red bar tape and white hoods.  :-\

The Bike is red and black and white and so are the handlebars.  Seems to match to me, if a little towards the Harlequin mode.

I have a bike that's all yellow and black apart from the white saddle. 

It's a style thing - if it were my bike it would have a white saddle and white bar tape with red or black hoods. But then for me the only correct colour of bar tape is white.

When you're riding, people can't see much of the saddle.

But when you're not, they can so it should look good.  ;D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3834 on: 10 November, 2010, 05:20:28 pm »

When you're riding, people can't see much of the saddle.

But when you're not, they can so it should look good.  ;D

It does; it's a Fizzik with a lovely streamlined shape.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #3835 on: 10 November, 2010, 05:32:18 pm »
Carbon? What Planet X model is that?

I think the nearest thing on their website is the SL Pro Carbon Rival, but that's got SRAM Rival components instead of the SRAM Red that mines got.

How much difference there is between Rival and Red I'm unsure.  The brakes on mine aren't SRAM anyway, they're Planet-X's own Ultra-light CNC'ed ones (in red!), so it's really just the controls and gear changers.

« Reply #3836 on: 10 November, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »
I never had you down as a weight weenie Tim O  :)

Surely your bag of spare parts is going to weigh more than the bike?

« Reply #3837 on: 10 November, 2010, 06:43:44 pm »
Good Lord, Tim.

Its very nice.

As well as very, well....... red  :)

« Reply #3838 on: 10 November, 2010, 06:52:14 pm »

Nope, when I use this bike on FRNttCs and their ilk, people are going to have to carry their own spares. ;D

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #3839 on: 10 November, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »

Nope, when I use this bike on FRNttCs and their ilk, people are going to have to carry their own spares. ;D

So you'll need a new excuse for being slow!  :P ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3840 on: 10 November, 2010, 07:21:13 pm »
Wow, dat shure is purty!  :thumbsup:

If you use that for a FNRttC, I expect you'll be waymarking.  I look forward to watching you zoom along the peloton toward your next junction.  ;D

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3841 on: 10 November, 2010, 08:25:38 pm »
I never had you down as a weight weenie Tim O  :)

So you'll need a new excuse for being slow!  :P ;D

Damn, you're right.  I'd better get thinking. ;D

However, I don't think there's going to be that much risk of me using it on next weeks FNRttC.  I looked up the price of the levers, and they alone would cost me £350 to replace if I dented them. :o

I think I'm going to want to be a bit more confident on it, to cycle it in a group, on a cold dark November ride, than I'll be by then!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3842 on: 10 November, 2010, 08:35:04 pm »
However, I don't think there's going to be that much risk of me using it on next weeks FNRttC.  I looked up the price of the levers, and they alone would cost me £350 to replace if I dented them. :o

Ah, I know this one...

The solution is to mount Wilko £1.50 "I *heart* MY BIKE" bells outboard of the levers, to take the damage in an impact.   ;)

« Reply #3843 on: 10 November, 2010, 08:37:02 pm »
If you do ever need to replace them, I suggest you shop around a bit more. Fudge's is the place for SRAM kit, and I'm sorry to inform you your levers are worth a mere £285.99...  :P

« Reply #3844 on: 10 November, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »

Ah, I know this one...

The solution is to mount Wilko £1.50 "I *heart* MY BIKE" bells outboard of the levers, to take the damage in an impact.   ;)

NO.  Not even if they come in red. ;D

« Reply #3845 on: 10 November, 2010, 08:38:22 pm »
If you do ever need to replace them, I suggest you shop around a bit more. Fudge's is the place for SRAM kit, and I'm sorry to inform you your levers are worth a mere £285.99...  :P

That's still more than I want to spend in repairs during the first two weeks of ownership!

fuzzy

« Reply #3846 on: 10 November, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »
Tim, 's a bike. Riding it is as easy as falling off a bike... Ah- point taken ;)

« Reply #3847 on: 10 November, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »

Ah, I know this one...

NO.  Not even if they come in red. ;D

Don't you find it a bit ironic that your levers say "Red" on them, to match the bike, when in fact they are white?  :)

« Reply #3848 on: 10 November, 2010, 10:19:50 pm »
It's a little bit ironic, but I knew it was the groupset, and not the colour.

It's a bit pants that they seem to supply them with white hoods though.  The default colour for hoods is generally black, which goes with most stuff, and doesn't show up grubbiness as easily.

« Reply #3849 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:21:02 pm »
I have a pair of black hoods from a set of Red levers somewhere that I'd swap for your white ones if you can be bothered to change them...