Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007670 times)

Turns out a neighbour is quite the flagger.  Festooning bunting, multiple union jacks etc etc. Event on the green near here on Sat.  Not in the mood...   :-\
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
One of the (few) benefits of living on a main road is absolutely no danger of street parties.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
We had some massive tit setting off fireworks at two o'clock this morning but that seems to be the limit of royal twattery thus far.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Delighted to say that there isn't a single union flag in my road.  :thumbsup:

I saw my first bunting-bedecked house today, down in the borders. Amusingly, the house opposite it was displaying a large Saltire.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Nothing here in Germany at all. Phew!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Nothing here.  Then again, we are staying in a small basic campsite on the unfashionable west side of the Lake District.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

My neighbour on one side, who had a flag on a pole all the time, has bunting on their chicken's shed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

One of the (few) benefits of living on a main road is absolutely no danger of street parties.  :thumbsup:

Likewise on a dead end village road.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

Two houses on our street and one of them is unoccupied. It’s a very exclusive street party. Also a 25% hill so not good for tables.

citoyen

Nothing here.  Then again, we are staying in a small basic campsite on the unfashionable west side of the Lake District.

Sounds idyllic.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
This morning, for the first time in my life, I spent over 100€ on a tankful of diesel.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
This morning, for the first time in my life, I spent over 100€ on a tankful of diesel.

Had the same experience last month but with the BRITONS' Pounds.  It hurt.

citoyen

Even for our tiny i10 it costs over £50 to fill the tank with unleaded now.

Knew we should have got a battery-powered car last time out but couldn't persuade my wife. I think she'll be more open to the idea for the next purchase.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I'm glad we don't have to drive to work every day.  A tankful will last us around 3 months.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics

There wasn't much in Leipzig in 1977. But I do remember receiving an airmail letter, with half of the front covered by a silver picture of HM the Q, and wondered what they made of it am Runden Ecke1.

The British press which was available2 didn't have much Jubilee news either.

1 Stasi HQ in Leipzig. The building with the forest of antennae on the roof.
2 The Morning Star.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

am Runden Ecke1.

Not being familiar with the building in question, I wondered why it would have that name... <google images> oh, it really is that obvious!  ;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Quote from: T42
Lechlade petrol prices
Last Friday £1.72 / l
Last night £1.77 / l
Today £1.82 / l

I don't normally pay attention to the price of diseasel but today it's about £1.87 / l

Meanwhile in Carterton (7 of your earth miles from here) it's £1.74 / l.

The phrase, "money-grubbing pirates" would be appropriate were it not too mild a rebuke.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Lechlade petrol prices
Last Friday £1.72 / l
Last night £1.77 / l
Today £1.82 / l

I don't normally pay attention to the price of diseasel but today it's about £1.87 / l

The phrase, "money-grubbing pirates" would be appropriate were it not too mild a rebuke.

There's somehwere I've not thought about in years.  Dad's last posting was Brize Norton and I went to school in Carterton and then Burford before buggering off to Bath.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

Knew we should have got a battery-powered car last time out but couldn't persuade my wife. I think she'll be more open to the idea for the next purchase.

Our ancient Ford Ka is about the same. The bog standard Mercedes wanktank on the adjacent pump ate £141 worth. I may have laughed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Except on your velomobile!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Lechlade petrol prices
Last Friday £1.72 / l
Last night £1.77 / l
Today £1.82 / l

Hell station in Ottershaw (Leafy Surrey) currently wants £1.92 for petril and £1.93 for diseasel.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

Our ancient Ford Ka is about the same. The bog standard Mercedes wanktank on the adjacent pump ate £141 worth. I may have laughed.

ALthough I did like driving it, and the green oval on the front, the Disco 2 did have a bit of a drinking problem, and even pre-price hikes would have cost me £100 to fill.  The X-trail gets at least 10mpg better, and is in some respects a much more useful beast.  I think if I were doing more miles per year I'd definitely be looking at something smaller though.  Our new motability vehicle will be electric, and I expect that to be the vehicle of choice for local journeys.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm a bit confused about the status of this jubilee. I had thought we were to get a four-day weekend, with Thursday and Friday being bank holidays. But our bins were collected as usual on Friday morning, all the shops were open (okay, shopping is one of the main points of a bank holiday so of course they were), and today we had some post delivered. I mean real Royal Mail post, not courier stuff.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Our bins were emptied today, rather than Thursday.
RM treats Saturdays in Bank Holiday weekends like all other Saturdays. You might receive post on Saturday at Easter.