Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3000899 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27700 on: 17 November, 2021, 01:54:10 pm »
I have just had occasion to use the word or name Ærfugl, complete with dipthong. This gives me a little smile while I'm working.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27701 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:03:48 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59323895.amp  "A British F-35 fighter jet has crashed into the sea during a routine operation in the Mediterranean"

"The pilot ejected and has safely returned to the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth"

His insurance premium will be going up a bit.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27702 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:38:28 pm »
Ouch. That's £100m in the briny. And we only have a few of these things.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27703 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:38:59 pm »
Well those if his employer in any case  ;)

I should think he’s got a bit of a sore back as well.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27704 on: 17 November, 2021, 05:55:02 pm »
Now to keep the underwater drones out until they recover it. Oops.

« Reply #27705 on: 17 November, 2021, 06:35:24 pm »
Possible earthquake here at about 4:00pm. Or it might have been a sonic boom no one seems to know yet.
Heard / felt over quite a large part of Ryedale.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #27706 on: 17 November, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »
Possible earthquake here at about 4:00pm. Or it might have been a sonic boom no one seems to know yet.

I heard nothing over on the west side of York - well, other than the usual sounds of Foxwood (Car alarms, police/fire/ambulance sirens, drunk chavs bellowing obscenities the length of the street, school kids encouraging said chavs...)  ::-)

The Beeb has a report on the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire (Live) section of the website, basically they asked the RAF and BGS, who said "nuffink to do wiv us mate..."  ;)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27708 on: 18 November, 2021, 12:36:55 pm »
The Abandoned Mattresses of Walthamstow Calendar 2022 is now available!.  That’s Christmas sorted…

I've been slacking.  I've got dozens of artful photographs of fridges, but haven't actually compiled them into a calendar yet...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27709 on: 18 November, 2021, 01:01:40 pm »
Badge, statue, garden ornament...

...which just happens to be the location of the Cenotaph on W3W!

;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27710 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:09:50 pm »
The Abandoned Mattresses of Walthamstow Calendar 2022 is now available!.  That’s Christmas sorted…

I've been slacking.  I've got dozens of artful photographs of fridges, but haven't actually compiled them into a calendar yet...

Okay, I've spent the afternoon working out how to get calendars printed and sifting through my collection for the 12 finest fridges and/or freezers* (plus a couple of bonuses).  Some of those decisions weren't easy.  I had to leave out the one with someone's WiFi password stuck to it, for example, along with the alleged former residence of one Bloody Stupid Johnson.

If anybody wants one (for about 8 quid inc postage), reply to the twitter thread or send me a PM.  I'll sort things out properly once I have a vague idea of numbers.

* While I've made every reasonable effort to filter out the washing machines, it may contain traces of Bins For Jane

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27711 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:14:41 pm »
Nice effort  :thumbsup:

I can't be arsed doing Dead BSOs of Furryboottoon, thobut.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #27712 on: 18 November, 2021, 08:55:37 pm »
I'd be up for one of those please Kim.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #27713 on: 19 November, 2021, 12:07:50 am »
I'm sorely tempted but I've already bought a couple of Mattress ones.  Hmm.  Wonder whether it would go down well at Larrington Collij Oxfod…

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27714 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:32:09 am »
I'm sorely tempted but I've already bought a couple of Mattress ones.  Hmm.  Wonder whether it would go down well at Larrington Collij Oxfod…
I don’t see why not, I mean it will bring some much needed popular culcher and achademic rigour to the place.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27715 on: 19 November, 2021, 10:49:22 am »
Okay, I've spent the afternoon working out how to get calendars printed and sifting through my collection for the 12 finest fridges and/or freezers* (plus a couple of bonuses).  Some of those decisions weren't easy.  I had to leave out the one with someone's WiFi password stuck to it, for example, along with the alleged former residence of one Bloody Stupid Johnson.

That's amazing.

Also, I'm pretty certain that's the street where my old school friend Ben lived when he was a student. And it looks like it hasn't changed much since his day. (IIRC a lot of the streets round there look much the same, but it's the view of the uni clock tower that really triggered the memory of visiting him.)

(The pic is triggering other memories too... My housemate Johnny had a girlfriend who lived in one of the neighbouring streets. I remember having to drive him down there from Leeds in the middle of the night once because he was in an appalling emotional state after they'd had an argument over the phone, and had consumed the best part of a bottle of vodka. I wasn't insured to drive his car but I thought I'd rather take the risk than let him drive himself. Looking back on it, the best option would have been just to hide his car keys. Why didn't I think of that at the time? My sister was also in Brum at the same time but she lived in the nurses' hall of debauchery.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27716 on: 19 November, 2021, 12:42:34 pm »

T'was the Swiss...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mystery-sonic-boom-that-left-homes-shaking-was-caused-by-fighter-jet/ar-AAQTQgX?ocid=iehp&li=AAnZ9Ug
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27717 on: 19 November, 2021, 01:43:23 pm »

T'was the Swiss...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mystery-sonic-boom-that-left-homes-shaking-was-caused-by-fighter-jet/ar-AAQTQgX?ocid=iehp&li=AAnZ9Ug

"But, following analysis, seismologists determined it to have been the result of a “sonic event” as opposed to movements in the ground said 'Aw, diddums'".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27718 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:33:02 am »

Benches of Redditch

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27719 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:42:35 am »
Lenny Henry. He’s been a hero of mine for a lot of years, for many reasons, but I just think the chap is cool. Ok, I thought him a bit of an arse for his marriage infidelity, and it seems Dawn French was of a similar opinion. But I don’t know the full details, so I’ll leave it at that.

Where’s this going I here you ask.

Well, I’ve just seen the dude on a late night TV programme, and he’s got dreds. Ok, they’re not waist length dreds, but still. I want dreds, have done for a long time, but if a 60yo Lenny can have them I want them.

That’s unlike to happen because, my hair, Dr Beardy (Mrs) would veto, my children would accuse me of cultural misappropriation and, my hair.

Pah!

He is cool thoguH.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #27720 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:52:03 am »
My erstwhile chum* Samfast, who coined the phrase “Filthy Lying Journalist Scum” to describe his own job, once opined that white people with dreadlocks should be shot in the face with very slow bullets.

* because he emigrated to Captain Cook's Mistake, not because he was FLJS

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27721 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:56:42 am »
Barakta's former housemate had special dispensation, on the grounds that he'd recently returned from drinking rum and taking field notes on some everything-infested tropical island, and the dreadlocks - along with a PhD in some sort of biological SCIENCE - formed part of a two-pronged approach to ensure minimal expectations from the bastards at the jobcunter.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27722 on: 20 November, 2021, 01:10:27 am »
<Beardy quietly retreats to a dark corner to lay low for a while>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27723 on: 20 November, 2021, 10:24:28 am »
A former flatmate of mine was a white person with dreads. He was a postgrad PSO at the time and is now Professor of Probability somewhere in NZ but no longer has the dreads. In fact he lost them while we were still flatmates, but not before visiting Jamaica, where they apparently led to some adventures with the locals which would lose too much in the retelling.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #27724 on: 20 November, 2021, 11:21:00 am »
you don't need a degree to have dreads. Young lad I shortly worked with in the LBS. Walked from Yorkshire to Rome in 2019. When he came back he had a dreads. So the only thing that holds you back is hair and for me it's the lack of said thing
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit