Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3009156 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Americans and washing lines, part 252:
States that already have such bans include Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin, the Seattle Times reports. In Utah, individual land-use authorities can choose to protect the right to dry, according to a Sightline Daily article from 2012. The Sightline Daily post provides links to the state statutes that contain relevant provisions. The exact nature of “right to dry” laws varies from state to state—while some prohibit clothesline bans directly, others recognize a right to use solar power that implicitly may preclude those in authority from preventing a homeowner from drying laundry in the sun.
https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/20_right_to_dry_states_outlaw_clothesline_bans_is_yours_among_them

The "bans" in the first sentence are state laws banning district rules which would prohibit line-drying. Bans on bans...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

It seems some travellers have occupied a site opposite a local school and had a big scrap with several parents during the usual morning drop-off melee. Even a middle-class schoolmum will start a fight with an entire traveller encampment if they block her space on the zip-zags outside the school gate.

I'm not sure which team to support.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Washing lines don't kill people.  People who put up washing lines kill people.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

Washing lines don't kill people.  People who put up washing lines kill people.

The simple solution is to paint the stars and stripes on all your washing and then it's just some typical patriotic flag flying.

That bag of beer cans in the corner?

That's Judas' Carryout.

That on the hook over there? It's your coat. Pick it up on your way out.

In fact, that was so bad, I don't think you even deserve your coat.
Rust never sleeps

That's Judas' Carryout.

Well, quite...

<Monty Python>

Nisus Wettus: Crucifixion?

Prisoner: Yes.

Nisus Wettus: Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

<Monty Python>

:demon: ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Quote from: hatler
Quote from: citoyen
Quote from: Tim Hall

That's Judas' Carryout.
Beg to differ.  I thought it jolly funny.  Not as good as Sir William Connolly's skit, but still, for an amateur, very amusing.  Carry on that man.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

It took me a while to get it, but I'm of the view that Mr.Hall should be placed on a podium of some sort. (Albeit a rickety one).
On to other matters....
My local authority does a weekly collection of recycling waste.
It all goes into the one bin and someone, presumably in China*, sorts it all out.
Which criteria are used to determine which poor bugger gets to sift through my recycling when I have emptied the contents of my cross-cut shredder into it.
(To add a fun element to it, my shredded material includes a small amount of plastics from envelope windows)

* Other nations with cheap slave labour are available.

Not China any longer I believe.
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
It took me a while to get it, but I'm of the view that Mr.Hall should be placed on a podium of some sort. (Albeit a rickety one).

ITYM “gallows” :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Edd

On to other matters....
It all goes into the one bin and someone, presumably in China*, sorts it all out.
Which criteria are used to determine which poor bugger gets to sift through my recycling when I have emptied the contents of my cross-cut shredder into it.
(To add a fun element to it, my shredded material includes a small amount of plastics from envelope windows)

One of my wifes friends works part time at a recycling sorting center in south Wales. She said shredding is a ball ache to sort (anything in small pieces really, hence being asked to keep the lid of a plastic milk bottle on the bottle for easy sorting), we throw our shredding in the compost now along with the lawn mowings. Because most people don't wash their recycling and the mixed recycling bags don't get sorted for a few days/weeks, a lot of new starters don't last the first 20 mins because of "Oh god, the smell!". Rats on the conveyor belt add to the fun as well!

On to other matters....

One of my wifes friends works part time at a recycling sorting center in south Wales. She said shredding is a ball ache to sort (anything in small pieces really, hence being asked to keep the lid of a plastic milk bottle on the bottle for easy sorting), we throw our shredding in the compost now along with the lawn mowings. Because most people don't wash their recycling and the mixed recycling bags don't get sorted for a few days/weeks, a lot of new starters don't last the first 20 mins because of "Oh god, the smell!". Rats on the conveyor belt add to the fun as well!
Sounds to me like good reason for not putting shredding into the recycling.
I can see the sense in keeping the caps on milk cartons as they are both (different) plastics.
How does it work for wine bottles tho? - Where even if you've removed the ally cap, you are still left with an aluminum collar on a glass bottle.

I suspect that the remelt temps for wime bottles will allow for any impurities to burn off or be skimmed off.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

I read somewhere that a significant proportion of UK recycling simply gets judged not-worth-it and it goes off to be dumped by a roadside somewhere cheap and foreign (I assume the official story is that it's passed on to a overseas recycler, we get to rub our hands at a job well done, and they do the same calculation of cost-benefit and chuck it in landfill or an unsuitable ditch).

There was a recent Unreported World focussing on the (literal) rag trade in Ghana, where a huge amount of clothing from UK recycling (and I suspect also charity shops) ends up.  The increase in cheap shit clothing from the likes of Primark (my wife has a friend who essentially doesn't bother washing her kids tee-shirts, she just receyled them when dirty / torn etc) means that at the end of the trail it's unsaleable and therefore just dummped. Being largely synthetic it  just moulders there.

https://eng.nikonmetrology.com/NSCTProjects/Shared Documents/03-Opportunities/Lawrence Livermore-US 2107-04/DT-X-Scan-H01-series-brochure.pdf

I'm sure the same is true of much of the developed world's recycling.

Cudzoziemiec

But once dumped in eg Ghana, that's not the end of it. Hence you see kids in such countries wearing eg football shirts of European clubs. Similarly, electronics get the plastic burnt off (not incinerated, just burnt) to retrieve metals.

But once dumped in eg Ghana, that's not the end of it. Hence you see kids in such countries wearing eg football shirts of European clubs. Similarly, electronics get the plastic burnt off (not incinerated, just burnt) to retrieve metals.

The programme wasn't saying the UK was dumping it (although it is, really) but focussed on the end sellers - the ones who try and sell on the contents of the bales they purchase (contents unseen) from middlemen, who no doubt purchased it from an importer or bigger missleman - and that they are finding the contents of much lower quality that before, so much less aleable, so they just dump what they can't sell, and then don't make enough to live on.  It's the usual tale of good intentions leading to unintended consequences and exploitation.

Cudzoziemiec

Yes, it's unsaleable so the Ghanaian rag traders dump it. But it's still wearable by slum dwellers who pick it out of the dumps and wouldn't (couldn't) pay for it anyway.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Our cooncil advise you to put shredded paper in a paper bag. So I do, on the rare occasions it's not headed for the worm composter (i.e. when we had the great moving purge last year and shredded all those old bank stuffs breeding in the loft.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Yes, it's unsaleable so the Ghanaian rag traders dump it. But it's still wearable by slum dwellers who pick it out of the dumps and wouldn't (couldn't) pay for it anyway.

There aren't that many slum dwellers available...

https://eco-age.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/landfill-12-1.jpg

ian

Anyone who's spent any time in the developing world will have probably found packaging from Tesco etc, it's clear that our routine crap finds its way there to be dumped. While we think plastic gets recycled, the reality is >90% ultimately doesn't (about 40% gets recycled once, but then is dumped – note also recycling is energy-intensive). Practically 100% of clothes and textiles, even if reused, are ultimately dumped.

Cudzoziemiec

City to Sea are against the use of recycled fibres in clothing for this reason. They say recycled plastics should be kept for bottles, which have a far higher recycling rate, so keeping the recycling going in a cycle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Conversation turned, as it often does in this house, to Untitled Goose Game.  I've been sulking about the lack of a gritty, urban, Canada-goose-based version since it came out, but barakta had an even better idea:

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Next in my Youbend queue after that Untitled Goose Game wossname were:
  • System Of A Down performing “Toxicity”, and
  • Some bit of latter-day Red Dwarf
During the latter I grabbed a screenshot:

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Conversation turned, as it often does in this house, to Untitled Goose Game.  I've been sulking about the lack of a gritty, urban, Canada-goose-based version since it came out, but barakta had an even better idea:

(click to show/hide)

Geese you say......  lovely things...

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark