Linked Events

• Upper Thames: 06 November, 2010

Author Topic: Upper Thames 5th November 2022  (Read 105841 times)

Re: Upper Thames 2nd November 2019
« Reply #550 on: 07 November, 2021, 08:19:59 pm »
We had a wonderful day out on the bike - many thanks to Phil and helpers! Reckon it was 12 years since we last rode it, which was memorable due to a falling off incident and having to apologise to Panoramix for the first aid in the old mill cafe. Headwind and hilliness was mild compared to our last audax, which was welcome. Lovely to see so many old friends out, and to meet some new ones.
California Dreaming

« Reply #551 on: 08 November, 2021, 11:00:22 am »
As it happens, I did have a routesheet and map as a back-up, but I set out with the determination of
using the Garmin to wholly navigate an audax with for the first time.
Online fixes didn't work, neither did the one suggested by Garmin. They said that as my model
(Garmin Edge Touring Plus) is discontinued, they couldn't fix it or offer a refurbished one. They
did offer me a 30% discount on an upgrade, so I took the 30% off an Edge 830 and paid £249.99.

So much for the tagline on their website: Built to last. The Edge Touring Plus was only four years old. ::-)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #552 on: 08 November, 2021, 01:34:01 pm »
... My ride was ruined by my garmin (which I intended to navigate by) locking up at the start (and despite googling, I have not yet successfully rebooted it), ...
Strange you should report your Garmin having locked up.  I'm a GPS-only navigator and have only taken routesheets on LEL, PBP, and HBK.  My Etrex 20 "locked up" near to East Hagbourne close to the arrivee.  The black triangle which follows the track froze and didn't advance.  Unfortunately this happened on a straight section and I was a good few km off course and entering Didcot before I realised it wasn't moving and that the road shape differed significantly from the Garmin track's straight section, d'oh.  I was able to power the unit off and then on again, after which it worked fine.

Thanks Phil and Mary for all your efforts over the years.  I've ridden several editions of the Upper Thames, enjoyed your care at Barnard Castle on LEL 2013, and had the pleasure of working with you at St. Ives in 2017.  The excellent organisation of the Upper Thames made it an easy decision to work under you at St Ives.  Thank you for your significant contribution to my enjoyment of the sport.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Re: Upper Thames 6th November 2021
« Reply #553 on: 09 November, 2021, 11:14:52 am »
My 6th Upper Thames and my slowest (albeit only by a couple of minutes) probably due to that wind which is often a feature on the exposed roads.  I do like this ride, both the great route and the fact that it is split into 3 near equal 70km sections which for me is the ideal way to tackle a 200k.

Many thanks to Phil, Mary and all the helpers.  It's been a great event Phil and it was also a pleasure to work under you at St Ives in 2017.   

« Reply #554 on: 10 November, 2021, 07:06:01 pm »
My fifth Upper Thames and my times have varied wildly, usually due to the weather. This year the weather was relatively good and at times I wished I'd brought my summer bike. I too got to Waterperry Gardens too late for the "Cyclist's Menu" so pushed on to Bicester where I found a bakers.

After Bicester, as I was struggling into the wind, LWaB passed me and shouted "Hop on". I managed to stay on the wheel for a few kilometres but finally had to admit to myself I was trying too hard and dropped off. But thanks for the encouragement.

The final few kilometres into Chipping Norton along the main road were a real slog into the wind but The Old Mill Cafe was a welcome oasis and set me up for the final third of the ride.

Forty kilometres from the end my rear gear cable snapped and led to some roadside fettling and reduced speed. But this just gave me more time to relax and take in the firework displays!

The welcome and the food back at Cholsey were as good as ever. Thanks to Phil, Mary and all the team for all their efforts.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #555 on: 12 November, 2021, 02:37:48 pm »
My third upper Thames. I decided to ride to the start this year, adding 75km onto the ride (return trip) So arrived after most had started, passing a few on their way out of Cholsey as I was arriving.

Passed a fair few dealing with punctures before the first control, then I diverted to Henley to avoid the Bix descent, and I wasn't alone in this. Back to Christmas common and the info I had already checked one the way to Cholsey and then stopping in little Milton for a quick snack, 6 minutes lost, although arriving at Waterperry at 11:10, that wasn't crucial, but I did wish I had picked up something more substantial in the little milton village store.

Over the hills to Bicester, which were worse than I remembered as I only remembered the one big climb to Ashenden and the info. some nice lanes northwestwards, before the final slog into Chipping Campden, arriving at the Old Mill Cafe it was heaving so I grabbed some quick food from sainsburys and pushed on.

Where was the next info? something Basset and the fire hydrant number opposite the phone box, or was it the post box (after all there aren't many phone boxes left now). Hope I don't miss it. No need to worry as there was a group milling around opposite the  phone box (and post box). Last number retrieved, short discussion about what it means, turns out the top number is the diameter of the main (3"), and the bottom number is the distance from the main to to the sign. 5 feet. Apparently newer signs use metric units which must make things interesting, is it two feet or two metres to the hydrant?

Now onto the last leg and hopefully more fireworks than normal as I think I might be a bit later than I have been previously, but just a few on the high points approaching Cholsey. Nice big feed (thanks to the volunteers) and then the cycle home which was less appealing with 240km in the legs. Saw some more fireworks at Cookley Green from the bottom of Swyncombe hill and the top, but hidden by the hill on the way up.

All in all a good day out in mild dry conditions which is great for November, a lot of good riding, but missing out on good hot food due to starting later (08:14 by the time I left)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Re: Upper Thames 5th November 2022
« Reply #556 on: 05 January, 2022, 03:38:46 pm »
Entries are now open for the 2022 event. New organiser now, but I understand Vicky plans to keep it pretty much the same.

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9614

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #557 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:10:27 pm »
That's good news Phil.  Looking forward to riding it again, but will miss you and Mary.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #558 on: 08 January, 2022, 04:05:59 pm »
It's likely we'll be there. Just not "officially".

« Reply #559 on: 08 January, 2022, 05:02:19 pm »
It's likely we'll be there. Just not "officially".
:thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #560 on: 12 January, 2022, 10:41:28 am »
Entrants to Upper Thames in 2020 (the one that had to be cancelled) will be somewhat surprised to be receiving mails from me concerning that event over the last 24 hours. I share the surprise, particularly as they are coming from an email address that I haven't been using since that event.

I have investigated, and believe that what is happening is that some batches of mail which didn't appear to send properly at the time have suddenly been reactivated and sent. As I have no device accessing that email account, this appears to be a spontaneous activity at the ISP. I can see no way of stopping it - I have accessed the account through web-mail, and there is nothing shown as outstanding.

I apologise for any inconvenience / confusion caused.

Phil

« Reply #561 on: 25 August, 2022, 09:12:53 am »

As Phil says, my partner (not of this parish) has taken the reigns for the UT200 and plans are well underway for the 2022 running. I shall be assuming general dogsboddy and YACF correspondent roles going forward. 

Enter: https://audax.uk/event-details/9614-upper_thames

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #562 on: 25 August, 2022, 09:22:04 am »
Misread as 5:11:22 as in 5hrs etc, and thought blimey - that's a bit quick  :o
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #563 on: 25 August, 2022, 11:23:39 am »
HI.  The link (on the entry page) to the organiser website is broken.

« Reply #564 on: 25 August, 2022, 11:53:51 am »
Ta. Will take a look.

« Reply #565 on: 25 August, 2022, 04:40:16 pm »
I'm booked on - judging by this thread, and unsolicited recommendations from other folk on audax's - really looking forward to this route.

« Reply #566 on: 01 November, 2022, 10:38:33 am »
Entrants should have received an information email from the Org on Friday.

Further to this, unfortunately we have been made aware that the Rail strike action on Saturday will make getting to the start by rail a no-go.

Too early to tell on the weather, but there is some of it about. As per.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #567 on: 04 November, 2022, 03:51:14 pm »
Train strikes off!! Probably too short notice, but you never know ...

Morning looking damp. See you all there?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #568 on: 04 November, 2022, 04:17:24 pm »
My favourite audax ride. I would like to have taken part, but I was only given the go-ahead
to resume exercises yesterday; :thumbsup:  after keyhole surgery to remove a cancerous prostate gland
in September.

« Reply #569 on: 04 November, 2022, 04:31:30 pm »
Been fully subscribed for some time unfortunately.  Left it too late  ::-)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #570 on: 06 November, 2022, 03:59:55 pm »
My two team mates and I enjoyed a relaxing ride, with a few testing hills I don’t think I’d been up before, and a few I know from our club rides. I was tempted to take a detour in Bicester to get my Wetherspoons fix, but I resisted the urge! Forgot thee was a volunteer in the Old Mill cafe as I was looking for the stamp at the counter 🤣
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #571 on: 09 November, 2022, 06:50:11 pm »
My favourite audax ride. I would like to have taken part, but I was only given the go-ahead
to resume exercises yesterday; :thumbsup:  after keyhole surgery to remove a cancerous prostate gland
in September.
Hope we'll see you on the road soon  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles