Author Topic: Woodburning camp stoves  (Read 76903 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Woodburning camp stoves
« Reply #100 on: 29 July, 2010, 10:51:30 am »
I don't know, that's a good question.  I was boiling kettle after kettle of water, no problem. 
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #101 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:03:23 am »
I think I had less cooking power for sure, it took me about the same length of time as Charlotte to boil our kettle the first time but I started before her and was boiling less water I think.

I think the issue is probably in the seal at the top.  Charlottes version is sealed quite neatly while mine suffered from more inept tinsnippery and fitting.  I think I could probably do a better job of sealing those gaps than I originally tried and will see if that makes a difference.

I think it’s worth trying that because otherwise the only difference between the two stoves is the size of the bottom row of holes in the outer can, which I think were 8mm on mine and 11mm on Charlotte’s – I think the poor seal is the issue though, still I was very happy to have it working but a bit ashamed that the first thing I did with it (other than the cup of tea I made the Thursday before when trying it out) was to make a pot noodle.

« Reply #102 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:11:26 am »
High-temp silicone is your friend.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:15:04 am »
JB Weld, in fact.  Did you seal it, WW?

« Reply #104 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:17:53 am »
I am absolutely no expert on this but...

When I look at the pictures comparing the two stoves, Charlotte's seems to have no obstructions behind any of the holes, top inner or bottom outer.   WW's appears from the piccie to me to have some obstructions.   If this is the case I would imagine that this reduces airflow significantly perhaps contributing to the way the wood burns.   

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #105 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:18:55 am »
JB Weld, in fact.  Did you seal it, WW?

Partly but evidently not enough.

« Reply #106 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:21:22 am »
Mine seems to alternate between gasification and fire bucket. I end up with powdery white ash after use.

The jet holes are smaller on mine (3.5mm) on the basis that it was a adaption that Charlotte was considering, and the fact that you can always make the holes biggerer.

Draught holes on mine were 9.5mm (sharperer drill bit than my 10) and then reamed with a taper reamer to debur. I think I did them on a 25mm spacing.

I want to have another go at the lid for mine - to make it neater and to raise the inner can a bit - I've done mine so that flange fits inside the smaller can rather than outside like the other stoves.

Having seen the amount of charcoal from Charlotte's stove on the Dun run, I think I'll have a go at packing more twigs into mine to see if that helps gassifification.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #107 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:36:42 am »
One tip I've read about is that these stoves should be really well packed, with bigger stuff at the bottom and as many of the twigs as possible laid horizontal.  The fire should burn down as much as up and if it's smoky, it's not working.

« Reply #108 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:44:59 am »
Right - off to make a brew with a tightly packed combustion chambre (before I hang the washing out.  :smug:

The smoke definitely goes once you get gasslification on mine.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #109 on: 29 July, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »

Nancy Blackett is one of the coolest female child/teenage characters in fiction.  When I don't grow up I want to be just like her.

With this is mind, do you see the phrase "Prize galoot" replacing "donkey felching cock womble" in the lexicon of the cyclist-about-town?
I'd forgotten about "prize galoot" but it's a wonderful phrase. An effective insult without actually swearing. I have been known to occasionally use "duffer" and "BF" though not in the situation mentioned, and "prize galoot" has far more power.

As for the film, ICBA to find the clip, but I have met the boy who played Roger.

As a child I identified most with the Walkers, probably because they were the obvious heroes of the story, but now I find the Amazons more intriguing. Also Captain Flint and even Timothy "Squishy Hat", who as we all know is not an armadillo.

Ok, that's enough for this thread, back to wood burning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #110 on: 29 July, 2010, 04:02:10 pm »

Nancy Blackett is one of the coolest female child/teenage characters in fiction.  When I don't grow up I want to be just like her.

With this is mind, do you see the phrase "Prize galoot" replacing "donkey felching cock womble" in the lexicon of the cyclist-about-town?
I'd forgotten about "prize galoot" but it's a wonderful phrase. An effective insult without actually swearing. I have been known to occasionally use "duffer" and "BF" though not in the situation mentioned, and "prize galoot" has far more power.

As for the film, ICBA to find the clip, but I have met the boy who played Roger.

As a child I identified most with the Walkers, probably because they were the obvious heroes of the story, but now I find the Amazons more intriguing. Also Captain Flint and even Timothy "Squishy Hat", who as we all know is not an armadillo.

Ok, that's enough for this thread, back to wood burning.

Well charcoal burning (and the Billies) are entirely appropriate to this thread.

I forgot, one other difference to my burner is that the holes in the base of the inner can were 4mm.

I'll try both better packing of the burner and attempting a better seal at the weekend I think.

« Reply #111 on: 05 August, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »
I spent £2.43 in Wilkos today.   No idea when I'm going to get around to making it though  :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #112 on: 05 August, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »
I find getting married helps to get a stove done ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #113 on: 05 August, 2010, 05:13:26 pm »
There was some genuine benefit for Butterfly then!  ;D  ;)  :-*

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: 05 August, 2010, 05:20:01 pm »
::-)

I spent £2.43 in Wilkos today.   No idea when I'm going to get around to making it though  :-\

Nice one, PB  :)

They're surprisingly labour intensive.  I've made a couple now and I'm down to about three and a half hours.  But that's with a drill press and other appropriate tools.

« Reply #115 on: 05 August, 2010, 05:21:42 pm »
It'd be nice to have tin snips and a drill press...

Mine will be a budget special.   I'm looking forward to it already. 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #116 on: 05 August, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »
Wilcos sell tin snips quite cheaply too, y'know...

« Reply #117 on: 05 August, 2010, 05:23:16 pm »
Bugger!  I'll have to get back up there tomorrow.   :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #118 on: 12 August, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »
Finally got round to going to Wilkos today.  Their biscuit/coffee tin selection was disappointing - a choice between plastic, or expensive stainless with a gravity-powered lid.  Tin snips were right out.  So I made do with buying a big bag of washing-up sponges, a bottle of meths and several bars of chocolate.

Various pound shops were similarly useless.

I may have to visit the semi-mythical Northfield Wilkos.  Or worse, venture into central Brum.   :-\

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #119 on: 12 August, 2010, 07:33:37 pm »
Northfield and Wilko were made for each other.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 12 August, 2010, 07:38:37 pm »
Northfield and Wilko were made for each other.

So true.  I might have to take the BSO...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #121 on: 12 August, 2010, 07:40:33 pm »
I used to work there.  It was one of our better branches but was also the one where you got most abuse from people trying to get in after closing time on Saturdays.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #122 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:12:27 pm »
So I made do with buying a big bag of washing-up sponges, a bottle of meths and several bars of chocolate.
Sounds like a good evening!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #123 on: 12 August, 2010, 10:02:54 pm »
when i went, the coffee tins were sold as a set of 3-coffee, tea and sugar. So i've got 2 spare if anyone's interested.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #124 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:20:34 pm »
It looks as if Wilkos have stopped selling the biscuit tins used for the stove. None in stock in the stores and no longer available on line.

The new version (not shown online) does not have a tight fitting lid.  >:(