Author Topic: Cutlery lust  (Read 115574 times)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Cutlery lust
« Reply #75 on: 15 September, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »
Even John MacGregor, famous for the 'Rob Roy' canoe journeys in the 19th Century, gentleman traveller, patent lawyer and all-round-good-guy, was armed with an ancestor of the Spork as he journeyed.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #77 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:24:23 pm »
After just over a month, my Ti Spork was delivered yesterday when I was out WARTYing.  I am now fully ensporked, but I've not got any camping planned, so it won't get it's proper christening for a while.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #78 on: 03 October, 2010, 06:20:34 pm »
After just over a month, my Ti Spork was delivered yesterday when I was out WARTYing.  I am now fully ensporked, but I've not got any camping planned, so it won't get it's proper christening for a while.

There is an opportunity next weekend.  I know you like a bit of the rough stuff.

Flint catcher

« Reply #79 on: 16 November, 2010, 10:26:53 am »
Personally, my experience is that unobtanium sporks and carbon chop sticks are largely a waste of money. Too easily mislaid or taken by other envious travellers from a hostel or campsite washup.
They are also mainly bought by those who never actually travel
 since they would find a regular knife, fork and spoon serves far better.
I'd like to see a steak being delt with using a plastic spork or do you lot only eat lentils when traveling..? Har har! ;D

« Reply #80 on: 16 November, 2010, 10:49:34 am »
I'd like to see a steak being delt with using a plastic spork ...

I'm willing to bet my Ti Spork can happily cut through a properly cooked steak, but on the other hand I can count the number of times I've cooked a steak whilst camping on the fingers of one foot.

« Reply #81 on: 16 November, 2010, 11:15:50 am »
Personally, my experience is that unobtanium sporks and carbon chop sticks are largely a waste of money. Too easily mislaid or taken by other envious travellers from a hostel or campsite washup.
I'd like to see a steak being delt with using a plastic spork or do you lot only eat lentils when traveling..? Har har! ;D

Kind of a rude tone for your 4th post - maybe you need to re-read the forum rules and imbibe some spirit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #82 on: 16 November, 2010, 12:04:41 pm »

Kind of a rude tone for your 4th post - maybe you need to re-read the forum rules and imbibe some spirit.
Give him a break, he was expressing an opinion that he doesn't like sporks, he's entitled to that.

Flint catcher

« Reply #83 on: 16 November, 2010, 12:09:53 pm »
Rude tone? Sorry mate, I forget my table manners. Would it help if I used more smiley faces? Feels like a girl guide sticking stars in her homework book though...

As for taking on foods that need more than a spork to deal with try south american steaks or camel in morroco or red snapper off queensland.
Try preparing a pumpkin given to you at the road side in quebec.
A spork is just an expensive second rate spoon.
Hope that wasn't too direct or rude for you.
 I could always spork off

;D

« Reply #84 on: 16 November, 2010, 12:33:56 pm »
making jokes is fine, including ones about rudolf-consumption (we've even discussed the consumption of cats somewhere).

It's the "..you lot .." bit combined with 'most people who buy these don't even go travelling"; this seemed a bit like baiting, not actually constructive.

If you enjoy baiting, there is Politics and Other Business. Abandon all hope ye who enter there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #85 on: 16 November, 2010, 01:00:41 pm »
I've never wanted to cook anything on camp I can't eat with a spork, sometimes supplemented by a SAK.

I am prepared to bet, even not knowing who they are, that I camp more than Flint catcher.
Getting there...

« Reply #86 on: 16 November, 2010, 01:27:54 pm »
Personally I would think twice before casting nasturtiums on the spork lovers of this parish, but then I quite enjoy living.

« Reply #87 on: 16 November, 2010, 01:31:32 pm »
Nasturtiums can be eaten with a spork, and of course make an extremely attractive table centrepiece.

Personally, I aspire to a set of hand-carved wooden sporks. The project is merely awaiting sourcing suitable wood - the previous versions, carved from yew, were not a success.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #88 on: 16 November, 2010, 01:39:46 pm »
We'll just send the Sporkmother after him. ;D

« Reply #89 on: 16 November, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »
I like lentils :). I rarely eat them whilst camping, except on the first or second day when we usually have some leftovers from home, sometimes as a fajita. What we do eat whilst camping, mostly pasta, rice, soup and noodles are easily managed with a spork. We mostly use the titanium one for cooking and as a spare.  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #90 on: 16 November, 2010, 02:35:28 pm »
Chopsticks and a spoon. I use exactly the same utensils I do at home, as I do when camping.
In the past I've had a camping cutlery tool that was useless. It had a knife, fork and spoon, but as they all folded into the same handle, you could only use one at a time.   

The Mechanic

« Reply #91 on: 16 November, 2010, 02:38:18 pm »
I agree that a spork is a good idea, but not anything new.  My wife and I got a set of "Splades" for a wedding present 35 years ago.  There are a spork.  I do feel, though, that a titanium spork is a bit "because It's there"ish.  No offense meant to those of a sporkish disposition.

« Reply #92 on: 16 November, 2010, 04:32:38 pm »
... I do feel, though, that a titanium spork is a bit "because It's there"ish. ...

It's not a bit "because it's there"-ish, it's quite a lot "because it's there"-ish. ;D

Then again, so are lots of things I like, recumbents, silly gadgets, probably half my bikes.  I don't claim they are all necessarily useful, and quite possibly are not sensible. :-[

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #93 on: 16 November, 2010, 04:40:16 pm »
I do like the Ti spork, though.  Not to eat with - like the Ti mug, it seems to 'taste', but I've broken plastic sporks by using them to cook with.  The Ti one isn't affected.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #94 on: 16 November, 2010, 04:48:17 pm »
... I do feel, though, that a titanium spork is a bit "because It's there"ish. ...
It's not a bit "because it's there"-ish, it's quite a lot "because it's there"-ish. ;D

Quite.

It's about the only titanium thing many of us are likely to get (cyborg girlfriend components don't count), and titanium is cool.

Flint catcher

« Reply #95 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »
Cripes! What a hot potato spork fetishism is...
Although you'd have a tough time cutting through the skin of a jacket spud with one of those plastic sporks eh?
 I done some time in an outdoor suppliers and watched the customers cooing over the spork display like kids in a fisher price store.
 I'll bet almost none get used in anger just as those goretex matching his and her outfits never do more than car coat duty.
 I even tried sporks myself, they all broke even just squeezing out a tea bag.
The sole survivor of all my years of tramping and traveling have been the humble knife fork and spoon brought from home, second hand stores or pinched from tea houses.
 I'll not rise to your bait mrcharly and start a boys own debate comparing nights under canvas. Alot of those places I've slept have not needed anything more than a swag or mozzie net.
 I don't know about baiting but I like to tease when I make a point and if you get this emotional over a spork then jeepers...
Sporking out!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #96 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:06:22 pm »
Ur uzin it rong.
Getting there...

« Reply #97 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:16:15 pm »
Who eats baked potatoes when camping unless with their fingers and a scarf? ??? Bit posh aren't you?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #98 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:33:02 pm »
The butler delivers it in the Bentley.
Getting there...

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #99 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:33:53 pm »
I do !! The inside of the potato gets all mashed up with whatever I have to add and then scooped out (cripes, sometimes with a spork, sometimes not) and then the skins are gobbled up (yes, using fingers). The scarf I presume just stops you having to play keepy uppy with the spud for the first two minutes.

I am definitely not posh.