Author Topic: Comfy beds for car based camping  (Read 708 times)

Comfy beds for car based camping
« on: 21 March, 2024, 10:21:19 am »
We've got a couple of weekend trips lined up for triathlons, and significant other has agreed to camping 'if the bed is comfy' so we can sleep on site the night before - a double airbed for one last year was disastrous, so am looking for some not inflatable camp beds.  The tent is a decathlon inflatable stand-up-in, and is brilliantly huge so there's loads of room.  Any suggestions?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Comfy beds for car based camping
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2024, 10:25:38 am »
You might want to look at some of the beds aimed at fishermen...  they tend to be slightly wider than normal camp beds.  They are heavier but if you're car camping that's less of an issue.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:08:22 pm »
Friends rate the Decathlon air camp beds (I'm still waiting for the double version which isn't 2 singles hooked together)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5N4sjLKCDs

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:41:34 pm »
What was "disastrous" about the double air bed? Would separate single air beds work?

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:49:14 pm »
We have an Exped MegaMat Duo and it is by far the best camping mattress we have ever owned.  Ours is a 10* but they now do a 15.  It is a mix of air and memory foam.  Awesome.

* cms thick.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:57:35 pm »
My Young Lady purchased a double bed sized camping bed. It is, obviously,fairly large but easy to unfold and put up. When we first used it we got a bit cold. This was rectified by putting a cheap duvet underneath us in addition to the regular duvet on top.  It's plenty sturdy enough to take two Well Nourished Adults. I'll see if I can find the make.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2024, 01:10:46 pm »
What was "disastrous" about the double air bed?

Yes, is the objection to airbeds that they're cold (proper insulated inflatable mats aren't), that they're prone to visitations (properly made inflatable mats aren't), or that they're just uncomfortable (YMMV, but something like the MegaMat is a world apart from a typical airbed)?

« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2024, 05:12:12 pm »
What was "disastrous" about the double air bed? Would separate single air beds work?

I weigh 40 kg more than she does and every time I fidgeted, she'd get bounced!  Also slight deflation through the night, cold and never really comfy.  The decathlon camp bed looks good, if we can trust it'll stay up overnight, and those fishing chair beds look amazing.

the exped megamat is 2x the cost of the tent :D

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2024, 05:53:28 pm »
If you want a good night's sleep the cost of the MegaMat is immaterial.  Almost.

Yes, it is expensive I agree but after active days whilst camping a good, comfortable nights sleep is most welcome.  And when you are away for a couple of weeks ...

« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2024, 06:31:00 pm »
I will share some of these suggestions with MrsC. A long time ago, a friend suggested two single airbeds, with a double fitted sheet holding them together. It's much better than a double as you don't get dumped on the floor when the other person gets out in the middle of the night. We also found that the double beds didn't last very long, but the singles are fine. Last year we got two of the self-inflating types, but are finding that getting up of the floor is getting more difficult, so MrsC wants to look at camp beds as well.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2024, 08:13:16 pm »
If you want a good night's sleep the cost of the MegaMat is immaterial.  Almost.

I should invest in one of those before next time I take barakta camping.  Regular readers will know she has a large Exped AirMat, which is shoulder-friendly and eminently pack-able, but for outdoor use[1] severely let down by the complete absence of insulation.  She's not quite at the stage where she really needs the additional height of a camp-bed.

[1] In the Before Times, she would occasionally use it indoors, in preference to people's terrible futons etc.

« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2024, 10:48:02 am »
Friends rate the Decathlon air camp beds (I'm still waiting for the double version which isn't 2 singles hooked together)

I'd second these. Brilliant piece of kit in my opinion. It's the most comfortable camp bed I've ever used.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #12 on: 25 March, 2024, 11:22:27 am »
I weigh 40 kg more than she does and every time I fidgeted, she'd get bounced! 
I wondered if it was something like that, hence the question.

For coldness, try an old blanket, or a cheap foam roll mat*, under the air mattress. The idea being to keep you off the cold ground, which is conducting heat away.

* Edit: something like this: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15979232/multimat-camper-mat-15979232 - obviously one would need two under a double air bed.

« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2024, 08:34:09 am »
I can’t recommend the alpkit dozer enough for car camping. I love mine. It is a 7.5cm thick self inflating mat and so comfortable.

Unfortunately out of stock atm, but the double version is available.
Don't ask.

« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2024, 08:39:28 am »

I'd second these. Brilliant piece of kit in my opinion. It's the most comfortable camp bed I've ever used.

Thirded.  Outstanding.  Used with a decathlon self inflating mattress (as in vid).  Base unit can stay fully inflated for weeks.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2024, 08:55:00 am »
Many years ago I went car camping with 5month-old baby and previous wife.
We took a futon and a duvet. Worked brilliantly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2024, 09:05:21 am »
Many years ago I went car camping with 5month-old baby and previous wife.
We took a futon and a duvet. Worked brilliantly.

When I was a teen and drove bigger things than a Prius, I used to take the futon mattress. Excellent for light truck camping.